Romance Fiction posted October 28, 2018 Chapters:  ...99 100 -101- 102... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson and Jeff talk.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Dreissig Part vier

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As Anderson sat behind the wheel, Jeff glanced at his friend. "By your face, I'd say Susan had one of those talks only a mother could get away with."

Anderson was silent as he backed out of the garage, straightened the pick-up and continued down the road. "It shows?"

"Yep." Jeff paused. "Care to talk about it or should I shut up?"

"How about shutting up?" Anderson blew out a deep breath. "I didn't mean that like it sounded."

"I know."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 30 part 4

A few moments later, Anderson said, "Thanks. I need time to think about what Mom said." He paused. "Think it's safe to stop at my favorite barbecue place? I could use something to eat."

Jeff lifted his shirt and revealed his gun. "I'm ready."

"Hopefully, we won't need them." Anderson hit the steering wheel. "Who am I fooling? Kuznetsov's men are watching our every move." He glanced at his friend. "I'm questioning my judgement on a lot of things."

"Then it's time we talk. Where's the best talking place besides the barbecue place?"

"A fishing hole." Anderson paused. "There's one on the Wild Road property. Think we'll be safe there?"

Jeff turned enough to look out the back window. "Do you have poles and tackle back there?"

"Are you questioning my Texan roots? Of course, they're in the back." Anderson chuckled.

*****
Anderson parked under a live oak tree. "At least there's some shade."

Jeff stepped from the pick-up. "That's the squirreliest tree I've ever seen." He chuckled.

After he studied the tree, Anderson grinned. "I'd say that's a fair description." He grabbed two poles and a tackle box. "If you want worms or night crawlers you'll need to dig deep." He tossed his buddy a shovel.

"Are we doing actual fishin' or thinkin'?"

"Good question." Anderson released a deep breath. "I haven't decided. And where'd that accent come from?"

"Fair enough." Jeff teased, " I thought it might set the mood." He cast his line and sat in the grass.

Silence continued. Jeff's line gave a small jerk. "I have a nibble. Come on. Take the hook." He watched his line.

"Do you think I'm overprotective of Shana?" blurted Anderson.

Jeff faced his buddy. "When I'm ready to set the hook you decided to talk. Figures." He grinned. "Do I think you're being too protective of Shana? Good question."

"Mom think's I'm not allowing her to make enough decisions. She says Shana's an intelligent woman and should have more say in what's going on. That I'm forcing her to be dependent on me."

"That's a whole dump truck of questions." Jeff studied the pond a few moments. "I seriously doubt Shana has the skill set or experience to handle a Russian Mafia."

"Exactly."

"That being said," Jeff continued, "I do think you're acting like a mother hen. You need to give her space to grow."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Jeff reeled in his line. "I believe Shana's dad engulfed her under a huge umbrella and never allowed her to make any decisions. He wanted to ensure her safety. She was his little girl. I know you want to keep her safe, but there's a fine line in protecting and hovering."

"You think I've crossed that line."

"Let's think about it this way." Jeff watched a squirrel for a few moments. "Do you think your mom worried about you while you were in the Marines?"

"Of course, she did, but..."

"It's very similar," interrupted Jeff. "You still would've joined if she told you that you couldn't, right?" After Anderson nodded, Jeff continued, "Right. She worried for your safety, but she allowed you the freedom to make your own choices. It's the same with Shana. You're going to worry about her, but she won't break. She's stronger than you think." Jeff tossed a twig into the pond. "Has she forgotten about meeting with Kuznetsov?"

"She hasn't brought it up lately. I think with everything that's happened lately, she's afraid to push it. Plus the FBI agents discouraged it."

"There hasn't been a dull moment since I arrived. Have you heard anything about Patricia?"

"Nope. I figure I'll be contacted if they have any news." Anderson reeled in his line. "There's supposed to be fish in here."

Jeff tossed out his line. "When's the wedding?"

"What wedding?" Anderson watched his buddy.

"You know what wedding. You and Shana getting hitched."

"According to Shana, never." Anderson checked his watch. "I think it's time we check and see how the new security system's coming. Mom and Dad left about an hour ago and I don't want to leave Shana too long by herself."

Reeling in his line, Jeff laughed. "I see our talk did a lot of good."

"It did. We're not going back right now, are we? This is the patient me." Anderson put the tackle box in the pick-up bed.

As the men parked in front of the house, Anderson took out his phone and then shoved it in his pocket. "I'm not going to check on her. Let's get inside."

"How much trouble could she get into in a few hours?"

"Would you like me to list the issues I've already dealt with concerning Shana?"

"No." Jeff grinned and then walked over to a worker and started a conversation.

After a lengthy conversation with the foreman and on-sight checks and corrections made on the security system, Anderson and Jeff headed home. They traveled about three quarters of the distance when Jeff received a phone call. "What? How did that happen?" He hung up.

"What trouble is Shana in now?" Anderson glanced toward his friend.

"No I told you so?" Jeff's eyebrows rose. When Anderson didn't reply, he continued, "The dogs have her cornered in the kitchen. They won't allow her to move or security to enter."


"What? That doesn't make sense."

"You heard me."

"This I've got to see."






Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend
Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter
Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.
Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.
Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.
Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator
Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father
Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother
Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting
Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria
Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.
Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother
Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father
Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother
Leon Sharp - - Anderson's grandfather
Grandma Sharp - - Anderson's grandmother
Oscar - - Team Leader of the security detail
Detective Rollins - - Austin police detective



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a live oak tree. There are many in Texas. Thank you for all the support you give my writing. I appreciate your comments.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.