General Poetry posted October 24, 2018 Chapters:  ...296 297 -298- 299... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
With apologies to WS

A chapter in the book A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities

The garden

by CD Richards


I sowed a garden I could call my own.
With love, I planted seeds and watched them sprout;
looked on with pride at each plant fully grown.
When weeds shot up, I quickly plucked them out.

The blossoms were so pleasing to behold,
with colours bright and fragrances so fine.
They brought me warmth and cheer when it was cold;
these verses, fruit of this old soul of mine.

But if you think I speak immodestly,
comparing my rude verse to nature's skill;
your condemnation matters not to me.
For I can draw analogies at will,

and now my polyanthea's complete,
a rose by any name would smell as sweet.
 




Today's word: polyanthea (n.) a literary collection, an anthology.

I love today's word, I think it has a sweet sound to it. Since I've just recently published my first own little anthology (a collection of poems), I thought it appropriate to use that as the subject. Also adding to the appeal of today's word is that it literally means "many flowers", hence the garden theme. My scribblings may not mean much to anyone but myself, but to me they are very much like a garden, on a number of levels.

Thanks for reading.

My much-treasured Christmas present for 2017 is a book by Paul Anthony Jones: "The cabinet of linguistic curiosities". Each page contains a descriptive story about some obscure or archaic word. It occured to me it would be a fun exercise to try and write, each day, a poem featuring the "word of the day" from the book.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.