General Flash Fiction posted October 24, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Universe is not amused

Waste Management

by Spiritual Echo


Only days into summer, temperatures continued to rise, setting new records. Transformers exploded across Washington, but despite evidence that climate change could not be ignored, the President of the United States refused to acknowledge the facts.

"It's just an anomaly," he persisted in telling the press, yet with air-conditioning failing once again in the White House, he'd moved all meetings to evening hours.

The heat in the Oval Office turned the glue holding the president's toupee in place into a stream of stinging sweat. He found it difficult to concentrate on his visitor.

"We've warned you countless times. Last week's war games have proven your indifference to the Federation's deep concerns."

"Pfft! A few bullets over China and you've got your shorts in a knot."

"Nuclear warheads cannot be described as a few stray bullets."

The president did not tolerate criticism from his staff, but he had no authority or bargaining power over the alien.

The spacecraft had arrived hours after his warning firepower over Asia. What he assumed a colossal digital hoax quickly turned into a grim reality. Grotesque creatures marched into the offices of kings and presidents all over the world. They presented themselves as ambassadors from the Federation of Galaxies with a mandate to preserve Earth.

The president found it difficult to look at the alien. Humanoid features resembled the pushed in face of a pug with a forehead that looked like a pregnant basketball. Electronic implants changed color and pulsated when the creature spoke. They were flashing now; a crimson red, but the warning signs didn't deter the president.

"You can't tell me what to do. I am the president, and you're not."

"Yes, the same president who has allowed toxic wastes to flow into the oceans and rivers; stripped the earth of valuable resources and allowed factories to spew chemicals into the atmosphere. You've upset the natural order, created devastating weather patterns and now the glaciers are melting at an alarming rate.

"The time for diplomacy is over. We must take critical action and fumigate before Earth, the jewel of the Universe, is completely destroyed."

"We? Fumigate?"

"The damage must be reversed, but have no worries, Mr. President. You will be transported to a safety zone during the extermination process."

Assured he would be spared, the president persisted to bargain with the terms of his exile. It was only when the ambassador promised him he would be the emperor of the new colony that he signed the papers and pressed the presidential seal on the documents that he felt he'd made a good deal.

Within minutes of the signing a light mummified the president, sealing him into a cocoon. Seconds later, the presidential chair was vacant.

The alien pressed a communication key on his arm. "Fumigation complete in America. Have all dissidents been accounted for?"

Assured the most nefarious world leaders were no longer on Earth, the ambassador sat down behind the desk, activated the recovery program and began his mission.



















 



Flash Fiction Writing Contest contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by simonka at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Spiritual Echo All rights reserved.
Spiritual Echo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.