Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted October 19, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
History is written by they who conquer.

The Way of Life

by poetwatch


Many moons ago, my great grandfather, Flying Eagle, told me about the tide of demons descending from giant wooden canoes. He said that many looked like snow upon the grass. Yet, some had black hair like the buffalo. These demons devoured down the forest where the children of the mother lived. They built tree houses on the water and dug up Mother Earth. We saw this and were disturbed. Yet, we said nothing and waited.

Mother Earth was not pleased and unleashed her fury, ice fell for the heavens, and her tears were cold. Then she covered the land with her signs of displeasure. She first threw a blanket of snow, Standing Bear-high, that the demons trembled in their teepees. When they dug their way out what they ate was no more. There was no food for their children and they were hungry.

The children of the forest argued to let them die, but then Chief Wolf spoke that we had much to share with those of lesser birth. To do nothing would anger the Creator. So we brought them food, covers, and herbs. We celebrated that day by sharing a bountiful meal.

The sun has risen and fallen many times, and the demons grew. Now, they cover the land like grass on the prairie. The trees have all gone and Mother Earth is hurting. They steal her life as they dig her ground and pollute her rivers. They sit in their wooden house and drink from our pain as they celebrate their living. We, the children of the forest, eat what is left, for they conquered our land.

And the moral of this story is;
Share your love, your kindness, but watch your back.



Write A Modern Fable writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short fable-like story where the last sentence starts with: "And the moral of the story is". This can be on any subject, true or fictional, and can be in any voice, as long as the moral is stated in the last line. A new twist on an old fable is also allowed. Be creative and have fun! Maximum word count: 300


The way of life goes on till this day, for everyone, not only for the children of the forest. Share your love and smile. The rest is up to your heart.
Thank you MoonWillow.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. poetwatch All rights reserved.
poetwatch has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.