General Poetry posted October 19, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Haibun

Why Cranes Fly

by June Sargent

On a hot summer night I watch the sun cast its crimson glow across the bayou as the cranes take off one by one. The sound of their flapping wings makes me wonder - why cranes fly.  As I smelled the scent of oleander floating in the night air,  I realize the answer is blowing in the wind.

carried by the wind
cranes soar higher and higher
to see why stars shine



Recognized


The haibun is the combination of two poems: a prose poem and haiku. The form was popularized by the 17th century Japanese poet Matsuo Basho. Both the prose poem and haiku typically communicate with each other, though poets employ different strategies for this, some doing so subtly, while others are more direct.

The prose poem usually describes a scene or moment in an objective manner. Meanwhile, the haiku follows the typical rules for haiku.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.