Fantasy Script posted November 9, 2018 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Script

A chapter in the book Scripts

To Seek Civilization

by michaelcahill

An Epic Star Trek Tale Contest Winner 



 

SETTING: Deep Space

We find the Shuttle Craft Jethawk on a secret mission for Starfleet. Captain Kirk has been informed by Science Officer Spock of an annomaly in space. Kirk's curiosity is peaked.

"What is it, Spock?"
 
"An ion field of unknown origin, Jim. It is wreaking havoc with the instruments. I suggest evasive …"
 
"Evasive maneuvers, Galloway. Keep us close, but not too close. I want to know what that damn thing is doing in the middle of space."
 
Ensign Galloway pushes buttons as Captain James T. Kirk studies the viewscreen with interest. Spock remains huddled over his instruments, while Dr. Leonard McCoy watches it all, perturbed and anxious. He speaks.
 
"Dammit, Jim. Do you have to explore every anomaly and curiosity in the known universe. Why not let this be a mystery, and then we can get on to Primus Braxtos to save the galaxy."
 
"We'll get there on time, Bones. I just want to get some readings. That's damn strange, don't you think? It's almost like an atmosphere … but where's the planet to go with it?"
 
"Captain. I suggest we …" Spock is looking at the readings on Galloways panel.
 
"Captain, we're losing power, the ion …" Galloway projects a concerned but calm attitude.
 
"Back us off, Ensign. I'm not that curious. Set course for Primus Braxtos."
 
"The controls are not responding … the readings are all over the … we're losing power, Captain." Galloway continues to respond calmly though with more urgency now.
 
"Auxiliary power, Ensign. Get us away from that anomaly, space normal speed if you must. Spock, take over the controls."
 
"Jim, there's nothing to take control of. The ship is dead in space. We are being pulled down by the planet below us."
 
"I see no planet, Spock, there must be something …"
 
"Nonetheless, Jim, it is there, we are being pulled by a gravitational force of planetoid mass and we will soon be landing on it. I'm afraid there is nothing I can do to alter those facts."
 

McCoy is none too pleased with any of the unfolding revelations.
 
"He's saying we're going to crash on some nameless planet, Jim, just like it's a stroll in the park. Do you realize what you're saying, Spock? You green-blooded, heartless … you're announcing our doom as though it were of no more significance than the time of day."
 
"Indeed, Doctor, I am. I see no need to waste my time in a pointless emotional display, emotions you know I do not possess. I will devote my time to planning a means of survival."
 
"Well, that's just dandy, Spock. How's that coming along then?"
 
"I have nothing to report yet, Doctor. I'd suggest I don't waste anymore time on this meaningless conversation."
 
The planet is now visible on the viewing screen and growing larger by the second. It is completely covered in clouds. Engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott appears from the sleeping quarters.

"Take a little nap, and the whole thing goes to hell. Looks like you've got yourselves in a wee mess here, Captain." Scotty takes the scene in.
 
"Report, Ensign. What are we looking at?" Kirk projects calm as usual.
 
"The instruments are barely functioning, Captain. But it appears to be Class M … there are life signs of an indeterminate nature. I can't make out what they might be. The cloud covering is ion charged just like the anomaly we encountered."
 
The planet fills the viewscreen and within seconds the shuttlecraft is in the atmosphere and heating up.
 
"Brace for impact", the Captain intones.
 
"I'm ejecting the warp core, Captain. I have a plan … I think I can …"
 
"Negative, Ensign. We'll never get off the surface if we survive the crash. Do not … Ensign! That is a direct … "
 
Ensign Galloway ejects the warp core and the ship jerks sharply a moment later. The craft pierces the atmosphere and bounces several times on the planet's surface, ending up in a heap several hundred yards from the point of impact. The crew is shaken, but uninjured.
 
Scotty laughs. "What in blazes? What did you do, Ensign?"
 
"I ejected the core and attached a tractor beam to it. It slowed our descent making the landing softer … if you could call it that."
 
Scotty laughs louder. "You saved our bacon is what you did."
 
"You disobeyed a direct order, Ensign. How do you propose we get off this planet with no propulsion?" Captain Kirk tries to hide his bemusement.
 
Days turn into weeks as they salvage as much as they can from the wreckage. Food and water are scarce on the planet, but there is enough for the five of them to survive indefinitely.


Galloway had disobeyed a direct order from the Captain resulting in their near miraculous survival. The Captain found it difficult to conceal his admiration for her, despite her insolence, so reminiscent of his own.

They cannot be located through the ion charged atmosphere of the planet. The Enterprise is unaware they are even missing as they were on a classified mission for the Federation.


 


SETTING: The Planet's Surface

Scotty muses to himself from the surface of a planet sparse in vegetation and with little colour. The cloud covering is thick and never allows so much as a peek into the sky. There is light and a changing to night, but daylight is dim in comparison to most class M planets. The predominant colour is grey.
 

The Captain's, well, the Captain … even after a month on this desolate rock. He walks about our ramshackle camp with purpose, eating a bitter tasting lump of local vegetation as though it were a peach. The shuttle is a heap of trash and we're lucky to be alive. What I wouldn't give to hear the whir of anything mechanical or even see a single star.
 
The air is breathable, but barely so. The clouds are thick and never part to show the sky. There's water and we have phasers to heat it and make it drinkable. There is food even if it is without any kind of pleasant taste.
 
We're stranded here, as far as I can see, forever.

 
Scotty addresses Captain Kirk:
 
"Captain, do ya have even a theory as to what we might do to get out of this predicament?"
 
"Predicament? It's more of a shore leave, Scotty. I'd think you'd enjoy the time off. A world to explore. There are four or five bottles of Romulan ale that survived the crash."
 
Scotty continues to muse to himself:
 
Never a straight answer. But Captain Kirk always manages to give me hope. If he's not worried, then maybe I shouldn't be either. What does he know that I don't? Probably nothing … but then …
 
Spock interrupts Scotty's musings with a report to the Captain:
 
"Jim, I have a discovered a structure, underground, of an advanced nature. It exceeds current technology. It is quite fascinating."
 
"Is it operational, Spock? Where are the people who built it? Dammit, man. Can it get us off this damn rock and back to my ship?!?"
 
"Those questions are yet to be answered, Captain. It appears completely abandoned. It shows wear and is in disrepair. As you are aware, we have no tools here other than phasers. I'm not optimistic …"
 
"Get on it, Spock. Get that thing running. It's our ticket home."
 
"But, Jim …"
 
'You have your orders, mister."
 
Captain Kirk looks bemused as Dr. McCoy sidles up to him, equally bemused.
 
"You think he can do something with it, Jim?" Dr. McCoy watches Spock proceed to his task at hand.
 
"Of course, Bones. Simple logic. The Vulcan ego knows no bounds."
 
Their laughter is interrupted by what sounds like a gunshot and Ensign Galloway crying out.
 
"Captain, come quick! She's been shot. He shot her. He saw me and ran for the hills … bring Dr. McCoy."
 
Captain Kirk and Dr. McCoy rush to the sound of Galloway's voice and come upon her bent over an alien, but human appearing, woman moaning in distress. She is bleeding from a wound in her shoulder.
 
"Do something, Bones. Help her."
 
"Dammit, Jim. I have nothing to help her with." It is clear McCoy intends to act.
 
"You're a doctor, Bones. You're her only hope."
 
Dr. McCoy rushes to her aid.
 
"She's been shot, Jim. I've got to get the bullet out … somehow. We have to get her back to camp."
 
They carry her back to camp. Dr. McCoy rummages around the shuttle wreckage and finds what will work as probes and along with a bottle of Romulan Ale, goes to work. He manages to extract the bullet, a crude lead pellet and cauterizes the wound by using his phaser to heat a metal strip from the shuttle.
 
"I'm beginning to think I can cure a cloudy day, Jim."
 
The alien woman sleeps peacefully as the others look on. Spock comes upon the scene, observing it as though it's not the least bit out of the ordinary.
 
"Jim, this is what remains of an advanced civilization … advanced beyond anything we've encountered on our mission to date. They created the technology I'm attempting to restore. Yet, Jim, they seem to have deevolved to a pre-industrial state. Most curious."

"They, Spock? Who the hell is they? Other than this women here and the man who shot her we haven't encountered any inhabitants at all. How many theys are we talking about and where are they?"

"The population is undetermined, Jim. But they live in more hospitable areas of the planet. We, it seems, have picked an area considered cursed as their legends have it. A long story. Most curious that you have encountered two of them here, and more so under violent circumstances. They appear to be a peaceful people."

McCoy, irritated, interupts Spock:
 
"We've had some excitement of our own, Spock. If you haven't noticed, we've already discovered we're not here alone. I saved one of the locals here without the aid of a single medical device." McCoy is perturbed with Spock's lack of reaction.
 
Dr. McCoy appears to be quite pleased with himself. Spock eyes the large scab covering the wound McCoy has just repaired with a raised eyebrow.
 

"Yes, Doctor, I'd recognize your skills anywhere. Oh, and one other thing, Jim. These people not only appear to be human, they are human. They could be your cousins."
 
"How can that be, Spock? Ancient, you say. We've only been in space a short time … it makes no … "

"It appears to make no sense, Captain. But, as with all facts, it only lacks explanation. It makes sense, because it is a fact. I have managed to activate some of the technology, scanning devices, biometric analyzers and a universal translator, superior to ours. The name of this planet should interest you, Atlantis."
 
"That's a great tall tale, Spock, and I'm sure you'll enjoy piecing the mystery together. In the meantime, we're stuck here in the middle of nowhere, eating tasteless whatever this is and I'm ready to scream. Now, is there anything in your studies that will get us out of here?" McCoy is increasingly irritated with Spock's cool demeanor.
 
"You are predictably single-minded, Doctor. This culture appears to predate your own and yet is a nearly identical genetic match. I would consider this fact to be of great interest. Your desire to leave when we are at the beginning of our discovery, typifies your human impatience and yearning for the comforts of the known." Though he would deny it, Spock appears pleased that McCoy is irritated.
 
"Okay, you two. That can wait. I can't help but be curious, Spock. Communication? Can we get through to the Enterprise … I'm sure there would be equipment on board to facilitate your project." Captain Kirk is losing patience with both of them.
 
"Indeed, Captain, there would. However, despite a fine array of communication devices, the thick ion rich atmosphere of this planet makes sending any kind of signal impossible. We can neither send, nor receive any signals. Despite my find, we remain, and will remain, stranded here. This Atlantis, it appears, is as elusive as the mythical Atlantis of your Earth tales."
 
                                   to be continued ...

 
 



An Epic Star Trek Tale
Contest Winner


Cast:

Captain James T. Kirk
Science Officer Spock
Medical Officer Leonard McCoy
Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott
Ensign Irene Galloway
Laurella, a native of the planet Atlantis

I'm attempting to remain somewhat true to the tone and story lines of the original series.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.