Romance Fiction posted October 14, 2018 Chapters:  ...97 98 -99- 100... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana watches TV.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Dreissig Part zwei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As Shana ate, Susan turned on the TV. "Do you watch any soap operas?"

"My family doesn't own a TV."

Susan's eyebrows rose. "There are entertainers who are Jewish?"

"There's nothing in the Torah about TV. It's a 'my dad' thing. He felt we should read and have family time. Not sit around and watch TV."

"Not a bad idea." Susan sipped her coffee. "I started in junior high and have watched this story ever since. I can watch while we shop. The best of both worlds." She grinned.

Shana watched the TV as she finished eating. Before long she stood. "Excuse me a minute. I need to talk with Drew."


TODAY'S POST:Chapter 30 part 2

Anderson peeked up from his computer and saw Shana step into the room. "Sweetheart, what's wrong?"

"Umm, I need to talk with you."

Walking over to Shana, Anderson took her hand and led her to a chair. He tilted his head and grinned as the cuckoo clock struck eleven o'clock. "Mom's show just ended. What mess did Antonio get into this time?" He watched, hoping for a smile.

Shana patted Romeo's head. "Felicia broke Antonio's heart, and he's mixed up with drugs."

"Sounds about right. For as long as I can remember, Antonio would get heartbroken and then attempt to cure it with some sort of addiction."

"Drew, I think I need to go back to Illinois."

He licked his lips. "Okay, I can make that happen. Can I ask why?"

"Because." Shana concentrated on petting Romeo.

Anderson put his hand over hers. "What's going on?"

She looked up at him. "You want me to look you in the eyes, right?" After Anderson nodded, she continued, "I'm not sure I can."

"Then I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you need to do. Shana?" When she didn't answer, Anderson said, "What just happened to cause you to think you needed to leave?" He thought for a few minutes. "Did you get your shopping done?"

"We didn't get started, yet."

Jeff walked in. "Drew." Anderson glanced his way, and Jeff said, "It's not important. It can wait," and turned and left, shutting the door behind him.

"So it has something to do with Mom's stories." Anderson's eyebrows rose. "Sweetheart, I'm not going to do drugs after you break my heart." He shook his head. "Matter-a-fact, you're not going to break my heart."

"You're pretty sure of yourself." Shana paused. "But...you have feelings for me, and I can't return them."

"But you're beginning to return them." Anderson drew her into a hug and kissed the top of her forehead. "You allow me to that."

"Okay, I may have some feelings for you, but I can't change who I am. I'm Jewish and will always be Jewish."

"You finally admitted you have feelings for me. We're making progress."

"You're incorrigible."

"Mom's mentioned that a time or two."

"I'm getting nowhere with this conversation, am I?"

"Not really. I have feelings for you, and I'm waiting for you to accept the fact that I'm so irresistible you can't stand to be without me."

"It can't happen, so then you'll be heartbroken."

"Would it help if I promise not to become a gambler, drunk, or druggy if you leave?"

Shana grinned. "I'm going shopping with your mom. You're..."

"Incorrigible, I know." Anderson took her hand. "I'll walk you to Mom's den. I bet she's moved in there."

As the couple walked into the den, Susan looked up. "Shana, you look frustrated. Is something wrong?"

"She's decided I'm incorrigible," answered Anderson.

"Oh, so she's figured you out. She's a smart lady. I knew she would." Susan turned her computer toward Shana. "You should be able to find what you need here."

Anderson held the chair for Shana. "You can compare stories." He grinned as he left and caught up with Jeff.

"Is everything all right with Shana?" asked Jeff.

"I think so. I didn't see a TV in her parents' house, and she never watched one in New York or in Chicago. I'm guessing she got her first taste of soap operas."

"She's really that innocent?"

"Yep, she's the real deal." Anderson grinned.




Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend
Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter
Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.
Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.
Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.
Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator
Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father
Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother
Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting
Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria
Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.
Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother
Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father
Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother
Leon Sharp - - Anderson's grandfather
Grandma Sharp - - Anderson's grandmother
Oscar - - Team Leader of the security detail
Detective Rollins - - Austin police detective



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of some soap operas. I used to watch them a lot, but haven't time for years. I only watch them when I visit my mom. LOL Drew's attitude is about ready for a huge change. Thank you for all the support you give my writing. My computer doesn't make the letter needed for thirty in German so a German friend told me I could use the SS.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.