General Poetry posted September 27, 2018 Chapters:  ...269 270 -271- 272... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The most important thing in life is life

A chapter in the book A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities

No harm

by CD Richards

 
Primum non nocere

No brocard achieves more good

than
first, do no harm.
 



5-7-5 Poetry Contest contest entry


Brocard (n.) an elementary principle, a short proverbial rule or maxim.

Today, I had to write a poem incorporating the word brocard, which means a short expression of an important principle. Notable collections of such sayings include Confucius' Analects, and a twenty volume collection of ecclesiastical rules and maxims entitled Decretum, compiled by the tenth-century cleric, Bishop Burchard of Worms, from whose name the term brocard is derived.

Many people have their own favourite brocards. If I could have only one to live by, it would be "First, do no harm." This is a translation from the latin phrase "primum non nocere," which is often attributed to Hippocrates. Although he presented similar ideas, there is no record of him using the exact phrase; also, he wrote in Greek, not Latin. Regardless of the origin, I think it answers moral questions better than any other of which I'm aware. Trying to decide if you should make dishonest business claims, which swindle people out of cash, to feather your own nest? Having trouble deciding if it's ok to tear a newborn calf screaming from its frantic mother, never to be seen by her again, so we can enjoy drinking milk which wasn't produced for us? Want to know if you should follow the voice in your head which says your deity commands you to slit the throat of an infidel? As far as possible, first, do no harm.

Thanks for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.