General Poetry posted September 12, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Florette poem for Potlatch

One Butterfly, One Rose

by damommy


The butterfly bids last goodbye
with one last kiss to dignify
the struggle of one lonely rose
against the frosty winds that froze its petals dry.
 
They both have destinies designed
but to their ends they have no mind
what fates await in nature’s plan.
And thus it’s been ere birth of man, their lives defined.

 



Recognized


Painting by damommy. Sorry, but I couldn't get the picture any smaller after many tries.

When my son was small, he called butterflies 'flutterbys.' I've read that the large-winged insect we see every summer was originally called a flutterby, but a tongue-tied VIP in England could only say butterfly and that name caught on. This makes sense to me since butterflies do more fluttering than buttering.

The Florette, created by Jan Turner, consists of two or more 4-line stanzas.

Rhyme scheme: a,a,b,a
Meter: 8,8,8,12
Fourth line requirement of internal (b) rhyme scheme, on syllable 8.

Like the outgrowing of a small flower, the forth line of each stanza is longer, and enwraps the previous lines. Line #4 requires an internal rhyme scheme that rhymes the eighth syllable with the end of line #3, and continues to add on four more syllables than the other lines so that the fourth line ends rhyming with lines #1 and #2.

Club entry for the "Potlatch for week of 9-8-2018" event in "Put Pen To Paper Potlatch Poetry Club".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.