Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 13, 2018 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The police finds the answers they're looking for.

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Switched at Birth

by Mistydawn


Summary
An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. All the evidence points to someone who couldn't have committed the crime, leaving the detectives baffled. Meanwhile, Luigi kills 4 more and tries to kill Rachel. Finding out he didn't succeed he plans to try again.


Luigi nervously walks down the long, dark hall towards Bruno's office. He was saying his final farewells to their staff when he was told that Bruno requested to see him. Luigi figures this meeting has to do with this morning's event and he wasn't sure how he was going to explain it.

Luigi sees Bruno behind his desk when he steps up to the door. Losing his courage, he quickly turns away. Bruno's thunderous voice stops him in his tracks.

"Come in, and sit down." The lad hesitantly does as he's told. Bruno waits until Luigi settles in before he begins. "The police were here this morning, searching for your brother."

"They're still looking for him? I thought they would've moved on by now." Feeling Bruno's stare blaze right through him, Luigi nervously shifts in his seat.

"Joe claims they found Tito's DNA at several crime scenes."

"That's impossible; Tito's been in Italy for nearly a month."

"The captain showed me footage of a guy identical to your brother leaving one of the  murders; I was able to prove Tito isn't their guy." Taking a deep breath he pushes on. "Since he's out of the country, the only other explanation is that it was you." Luigi glances towards the floor, confirming Bruno's suspicions. "Why did you do it for, son? Why did you kill five people in cold blood?"

"It's a personal matter; one that couldn't be handled any other way."

"I might've believed that if it was just Maroni and his wife, but you killed their children too."

"They would've turned out just like their parents if I hadn't stopped them."

"What did the Maroni's do to make you despise them so?"

"They did a lot, dad; not just to me, but to their staff and all their associates."

Bruno leans in closer. "Like what, son?"

Luigi glances up at the man's pleading eyes. He didn't want to tell him because it'll only break his heart if he finds out the truth. He doesn't want to hurt the only man who's ever loved him.

"Please tell me, son."

Feeling like his heart is being ripped from his chest, Luigi tearfully turns away. "It doesn't matter anymore, now does it?" He wipes moisture from his cheek.

"It matters to me."

A plethora of emotions surges through his body; Luigi springs up from his seat. "I killed the Maroni's for what they did; what they've been doing for years, and to make sure that it'll never happen again. So just leave it at that, alright."

Slamming his fist on the desk, Bruno lunges out of his seat. His chair clanks against the hard wood floor as he leans across his desk. "How dare you use that tone with me," he hisses, glaring into the young lad's eyes.

"Stop asking me to explain and I won't." Turning on his heels, Luigi storms down the hall.

*****

Jerry finds one black van listed in the city when he searches the DMV databank. He then discovers it was totaled during a big snowstorm last winter. Deciding to expand his search, he quickly reenters the information. He's in the middle of his task when his phone rings. Jerry puts it on speaker so he can finish.

"I know who the killer is, Jerry." The caller excitedly replies.

"Who is it, Rachel?" Jerry scoops the phone off his desk.

"Luigi Greco, who is actually Luigi Maroni."

"That's impossible, the Maroni twins died at birth, remember?"

"The records show they died, but I spoke with a colleague who remembers the day they were born. She said Mr. Maroni and his maid's twin boys were healthy. It was Luigi and Gallo Greco, who were stillborn."

Jerry recalls a search he conducted in the very beginning. How it showed that only one child from the two sets of twins survived. "Is she sure both of the boys lived? Wait a minute, did you just say Maroni's and his maid's boys?" Jerry asks, completely baffled.

"Yes, she said Mr. Maroni paid to have the doctors switch them so he wouldn't have to support illegitimate sons. He then told his maid he's glad their babies died because he didn't want a half-breed ruining his family name. My friend said that he upset Maria so much that she had to call security and have him escorted off the premises; that's why she remembers it so well."

"Let me look up something. I love how you're resting by the way."

"I'm resting; I'm in bed watching TV, talking on the phone." She laughs.

"Vital Statistics show Luigi Greco died. Let me try the DMV records. Hmm, I didn't know a dead man could drive."

"Luigi has a driver's license?"

"Yep, I sent you a copy of his license; tell me if that's the guy you saw."

"Hang on a minute." Rachel checks her messages. "That's him alright."

"Since the two are identical twins, their DNA would match."

"So I was right all along that it is Tito's twin." Laughing she continues. "Wait until I rub this in Joe's face."

"I hope I'm there to see it," Jerry laughs.

"I'll make sure you get front row seats. Keep me posted, ok and Jerr, please stay safe."

"You do the same." Hanging up, he quickly dials Joe's cell.

"Hey Joe, Rachel figured out who the gunman is."

*****

Luigi softly knocks on the office door. He knows he should apologize for the way he acted this morning. He just hopes Bruno will accept it and leave it at that.

Hearing the light tap, Bruno glances up. Luigi sees his puffy red eyes when he looks towards him. I broke his heart anyhow, he thinks, dolefully stepping into the room. "I wanted to apologize for disrespecting you, sir, and I promise it'll never happen again." Luigi lowers his head.

"Come in, and sit down." Bruno motions to a chair. Luigi hesitantly does as he's told. "I know why you killed them, son."

"Luigi glances up with a shocked look on his face. "You do?"

"Maroni denied you and Tito as his own, didn't he?"

"How did you find out?"

"Joe told me you're not my son at the station-house this morning. I didn't believe him at first; I figured it was a trick, a way to upset me so I'd tell them where Tito is hiding. The more I thought about it the more I realized he might be telling the truth; you two don't look anything like me. So I had my own test done. That's when I discovered that you're not my biological son." Sniffling, he continues, "Why didn't you come to me with this? I could've helped you get what's rightfully yours."

"It's not about the money, dad, it's about righting a wrong."

"Go on." Leaning forward, Bruno places his arms on the desk.

"See, after Tito and I were born, he paid the doctor to switch the infants, Mom's live babies for two that were stillborn; claiming they ran into medical complications in the nursery. The day she was released from the hospital, the Maroni's shipped her back to the old country, knowing she'd be killed the moment she stepped off the plane."

"That's revolting," Bruno exclaims.

"She's not the only maid he's done this to; there are at least two before her and two or three after her. So that's why I decided the family should pay for what they did to her, to you, to all of us." He waves his hand through the air.

"So you killed the Maroni's to avenge your mother's death?"

"That and for the money. Then I realized that if I killed them for those reasons, I'm no better than my father, and I sure don't want to end up like him. That's why I decided to change his will so that his entire estate will be split between several reputable charities."

"How did you manage that?"

"It was quite simple, really." Smiling, he continues. "I figure some good should come out of the Maroni's blood money and who's more deserving than hospitals and research centers, right?"

"Your humanitarianism makes me very proud." He wipes a tear from his cheek.

"Thank you, sir."

"You realize it's only a matter of time before the police figure out who did it."

"No, they won't. According to vital statistics, I died at birth. Since Tito is no longer a suspect we have nothing to worry about."

"It's not that simple, son. You forgot about your social security number, driver's license, and passport."

"Once the cops find out that I'm dead they won't bother to look any further."

"Maybe, but I'd rather not take any chances."

"What do you suggest I do?"

"What we'll do," he corrects. Grabbing his hand, he continues, "You're still my son, no matter what the DNA tests say."

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.
Leo, hired hitman.
Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Nick Johnson, new Detective.

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.