Supernatural Fiction posted September 10, 2018 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sins of Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book Sins of Chaos

Broken Dreams

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

Previously . . .

After Sebastian refused to hand over his son to Lucifer, he becomes trapped in a state of unconsciousness and forced to face the forgotten trauma of his childhood. As the dreadful memories continue to taunt his sanity, a horrible secret his sister Anna kept from her their mother was brought back, torturing Sebastian all over again.


Continued . . .    

Sebastian felt like he was on a never-ending roller coaster of nightmares with a lot of gut-twisting ups and downs. And suddenly, without the slightest idea how he got there, he was downstairs in the utility room, equipped with a washer and dryer, and an ironing board. A short distance away, Eliza stood in front of a large basin, hand-washing articles of clothing.

He shut his eyes, subsumed by grief and despair. Sebastian put a shaking hand over his face, wondering what horrors of his past lay ahead.

As he tried to get a grip on reality, he heard a voice from behind say, “This memory is my favorite.”

Startled, Sebastian wheeled around. Speak of the devil, he thought as he stood face-to-face with Lucifer. He collected himself for a moment. Then he called out in as firm a voice as he could muster, “I’m not changing my mind. I’ll never give you my son.”

Lucifer’s voice took a tone Sebastian had never heard before. There was no bluster, no heated anger. It was stone-cold nasty. “You’ll watch her die,” he said, nodding in Eliza’s direction.

Sebastian had kept this particular memory locked away, forgotten forever. No, he pleaded silently. I cannot bear this again.    
             
He swallowed hard as the memories of his past washed over him. The images came in a torrent, flooding his consciousness with scattered fragments of Eliza’s death. Sebastian wrung his hands together anxiously. “I ... I beg you,” he stammered.

“You know the price,” Lucifer stated. “Give me what I want, or suffer the consequences.”

“No!” Sebastian raised his voice and dropped to his knees. He clasped his hands as he shrilly pleaded. “I’m begging you! Please,” he lowered his head and sobbed into his hands. “I can’t bear to see her die again!”

In the silence that followed, Sebastian’s heart raced, and his mouth felt as dry as dust. He looked up when he heard Eliza cry out, “Oh god, no.”

Eliza looked frozen in place, staring at the blood on Anna’s undergarments, her eyes wet with tears, and her face pale as death. Clearly, she had suspected Mr. Montgomery of pedophilia, but never would she imagine he’d touch her daughter. An abominable suspicion haunted the back of her mind, but she was not yet ready to give voice to her deepest fear. No, she thought plaintively. It cannot be true. Not my Anna! This was unthinkable.

Sebastian got to his feet as Eliza stalked out of the room. He turned toward Lucifer, who was leaning against the wall smiling, his cobalt eyes staring back at him. “She knows about Anna’s secret,” he said mockingly. “She’s going to confront your step-father.”

“You son of a bitch,” Sebastian snarled at Lucifer as he rushed after Eliza.

Before he got to her, havoc had already begun. A clamor of voices echoed down the hallway, the noise seemingly carrying from the dining area. 

When Sebastian rounded the corner, Eliza stood next to Mr. Montgomery, who was seated at the head of the table, and shouted accusations of molesting her daughter, threatening to inform the Breedline council.    

“How dare you!” William Montgomery roared as he rose from his chair, his face contorted in disgust.   

“How could you,” Eliza said, her entire body quivering with hurt and rage. “She’s just a child.”

Sibyl Montgomery weighed her words as she came up behind Eliza. No doubt Sibyl believed her husband was a sick bastard, but she wouldn’t allow his secret to be discovered, ruining their family name.

Peering back over her shoulder, Eliza caught sight of a knife in Sibyl’s grasp. Pulsing red veins streaked her eyes as she glared at Eliza, who quailed before her unleashed wrath.

“I’m sorry, Eliza . . . but you leave me with no choice.”

What? Eliza started in alarm and tried to move away. Before she could even try to defend herself, Sibyl plunged the sharp tip of the blade into her neck.

The shocking assault was over in a heartbeat but left Sebastian feeling dazed as he stood back helplessly, watching Eliza soundlessly scream and crumple to the floor.  

Watching in horror and completely helpless, Sebastian dropped to his knees and closed his eyes. “No,” he cried out. “Please, God . . . no.”

Blood gushed from Eliza’s throat, forming a puddle on the floor. Nausea gripped Sibyl as she dropped the knife and staggered away.   

The noise alerted Anna as she came rushing into the room. She swayed upon her legs, appearing overcome by the sight before her.

“Mama?”

The sound of a shrill cry came from behind, startling Anna. As she turned around, her little brother flew to Eliza’s limp body like a hurricane.

He dropped to his knees and wrapped his arms around her, burying his face in her blood-soaked hair. Violent sobs racked his body as he realized the only mother he’d known was dead.

Sebastian shook his head mournfully as he watched the younger version of himself fall apart.

As the little boy let go of Eliza, he looked up at Mr. Montgomery with a hateful glare. A note of anger dispelled the sadness in his voice. “You hurt my Sissy . . . and killed my mama.”  

For a moment Anna thought she might collapse altogether, and then she sprung across the room to comfort her brother. Never for a minute did she consider the consequence of the secret she kept. Now her mother had paid the price with her life.

As Anna’s gaze turned from her mother’s lifeless body, she looked up at Mr. Montgomery in judgment. And then her distraught gaze went to the doorway. Mrs. Montgomery’s hands were covered in blood.

“Why?” Anna railed at Sibyl. Her voice cracked as though her heart was breaking. Angry tears streaked down her cheeks. “Why would you do this?”

Sibyl’s livid face twisted into a demonic mask. “She was going to destroy my family.” Her bitter tone clearly placed the blame on Eliza’s shoulders for her husband’s infatuation with Anna.

William’s throat tightened, and his eyes grew dark with mixed emotions. “You and that little brat will be taken far away from here,” he said before calling out to the guards in the hall.

His cold heart angered Anna. She prayed to the heavens that Mr. Montgomery would not separate her and Sebastian. Surely not, she strove to convince herself.

Finally, Anna couldn’t hold back her tongue any longer. “I won’t allow you to take away the only family I have left,” she declared. “I’m going wherever my brother goes.”

He smirked and gestured at the guards gathered behind her. “You’re going to spend the remainder of your life in a women’s convent. And your brother will be placed in an all-boys boarding school. Maybe he’ll learn something useful,” he said mockingly. 

Although Sebastian was not her blood, the sibling bond had a hold upon her heart. Five years of loving memories could not be easily shoved aside. Yet it was clear that Mr. Montgomery was set on tearing them apart, and she could not abide the cruel injustice of his rule. Reaching for the knife, Anna got to her feet and charged at Mr. Montgomery head-on, ramming into his body. Wincing, he stumbled backward and fell to the floor.

William wheeled about to find a knife leveled at his throat. The same one Sibyl used to kill Eliza. His eyes widened in shock. He swallowed hard, stunned to find himself at Anna’s mercy.

“How does it feel?” Anna said roughly. “To fear you’re going to die?”

As the guards belatedly rushed to William’s defense, Anna shot them a warning look. Her fierce green eyes dared them to test her resolve. The guards got the message and kept their distance. None wanted to be responsible for Mr. Montgomery’s death.

Despite the blade at his throat, William swiftly regained his composure. His face hardened into a stony mask. His voice was cold as ice. “If you kill me, your brother will pay the price with his life.”

“I don’t want to have to kill you.” She made one last attempt to reason with Mr. Montgomery, and possibly convince him to let them go freely. “Please, just let me take Sebastian and go,” her voice caught in her throat. “You’ll never hear from us again.”   

He glared venomously at Anna even as he shook his head in dismay. “I curse the day that bastard was brought into this world,” William said bitterly. And then he called out to the guards, “Kill the boy!”

“Sissy!”

Anna’s eyes widened in alarm as Sebastian’s urgent cry commanded her attention. Looking away from William, just for an instant, she pivoted in time to see one of the guards moving toward her brother.

“No!” she yelled. “Sebastian!”

Seizing his opportunity, William grabbed Anna’s arm and squeezed until the knife fell from her grasp and clattered to the floor. Then his fist slammed into her face, knocking her off balance and sending her stumbling backward. 
  
Unable to contain himself, little Sebastian jumped to his feet and lunged at Mr. Montgomery growling like a feral animal.
    
William threw up his hand to protect his face as Sebastian viciously clawed and bit at him. It took the efforts of two guards to pull the frail child free from his tight grip.

“You little bastard,” William seethed angrily, shocked by the boy’s savage behavior. “Get them out of my sight!”

Sebastian’s lips peeled back with a hiss as he bared his fangs. His little hands clenched into fists, pounding at the guard.

Now both of them would pay the price for their defiance, Anna thought as she painfully listened to her brother’s screams as the guard carried him away.   

The remaining guard came forward and clamped a pair of handcuffs around Anna’s wrists. Before she was escorted out of the room, William bent low to whisper in her ear, his seething words meant for her alone.

“This is your fault,” he said with anger in his voice. “You caused your mother’s death.”

He stepped back and motioned for the guards to take her away.

As Sebastian stood back and witnessed the worst memory of his life repeat itself, unbearable sorrow weighed down his shoulders. The sight of Anna being led away, perhaps to her death, tore his heart into a million pieces.

I am so sorry, Anna.

His mind feverishly reviewed the memories of his past, trying to figure out how he might have averted the disasters that had fallen upon him. But how could he? He was just a child back then.

“Your sad past does not excuse your present guilt,” Lucifer said as he suddenly appeared in the room. “But I can still take away the pain,” he continued. “All you have to do is give in. It’s that simple.”

Sebastian looked into Lucifer’s eyes, praying for just one trace of compassion, if not mercy and said, “I will never give you my son.”

Lucifer raised an eyebrow in regards to Sebastian’s answer and nodded gravely. “You will give me what I want,” he declared. “You just wait. The worst is yet to come.”

To be continued . . .
  
 
 
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species must be kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth, are born with telepathic abilities, and have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong, that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don't have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEENS RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back human and cast out as a rogue wolf.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change human again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - When the full moon passes through the amber shadow of the earth, producing a midnight eclipse visible across North America. So begins a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six-month intervals. This incredible light beams into the heart of earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb. During this time, all Breedline species that are mated have a strong desire to create an offspring. This is also a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

SUCCUBUS (a.k.a. CREEPERS) - Creatures that search for, and feeds off the blood of the Breedline species. Creepers are skilled at extreme sexual pleasure, and the ecstasy they create is exceedingly intense and highly addictive. They cast off a scent that hypnotizes Breedlines into overwhelming sexual urges. They use their human-like bodies and beautiful features to control and influence their thoughts.
They have the ability to reach into the Breedline's mind during sleep, casting a spell of dreams about sexual contact, or intercourse. And one much less obvious manifestation of Creepers is nightmares - realistic, graphic, terrifying nightmares that rob the Breedline of sleep. Over a period, it can lead to severe fatigue and depression, leaving them emotionally and spiritually drained. Death can occur if they ultimately take over the Breedline's body.

HALF-BREED - This species is born with the genes from both Breedline and succubus. They can bond with either a full-blood Breedline or another half-breed. They cannot change into the Breedline wolf, but they do need blood from them to survive. With the power to hypnotize, most Breedlines have minimal respect and credence toward the half-breed species.

WICCA (or Wise One) - According to the Breedline species, a Wicca is the goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts, and necromancy. A Wicca is also considered to be a demonic spirit. It is unclear to the Breedline if they act under the orders of the devil, or they are simply not understood and treated as outcasts. They can do white magic (good) or dark (evil).

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, three times the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two-shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them. And an Adalwolf is immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

LUPA - The ancestors descended from the old legend of the lycanthrope, except the moon has no power over them and it cannot be passed on to others like a virus. It is passed on through genetics to the female offspring, known as a she-wolf. This type of creature shape-shifts into a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature, and is considered dangerous... cursed.

EVE - She is a half-breed and Sebastian's bonded mate. Growing up in human foster care, she spent her entire childhood abused until Sebastian saves her. Scorned from her past, she lashes out in anger, living a life of crime later to discover her twin sister, Mia Blackwood. After realizing the Chiang-Shih demon possesses Sebastian, Eve clings to the past in hopes of reuniting with her beloved. Now that Sebastian is finally free of the demon, she has trust issues, worried he has an alternative plan for their sons.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed, and Eve's bonded mate. After he had been killed by Jace in self- defense, he was possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon after the Angel of Mercy cast him out of Alexander's body. As he tried to portray Sebastian's life, Eve finally figured out his secret. Keeping her captive only to survive on her blood, he later develops feelings for her. The demon creates a death army, determined to dominate the world and unleash his wrath among humans and the Breedline. Now free from the demon, he is determined to reunite with his beloved Eve who is kept prisoner by the Breedline Covenant awaiting trial for her past crimes against them.

Arius and Tidus - Sebastian and Eve's twin boys. Both have inherited their parent's genetics of a half-breed. But Arius carries the mark of the Chiang-Shih demon with the power to create a portal and the ability to heal others.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.