General Fiction posted September 7, 2018 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A ghost from the past

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

Lucas

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A child is taken from his mother, an outcast, and becomes a champion for his people
Hamish looked into the striking blue eyes of his older brother, Lucas.

He had not seen him since the day he left Wahaland twelve years ago at the age of fifteen. How had he come to be part of the Horde? Hamish couldn't fathom it.

Lucas had been head strong and fearless. Hamish knew there was something in his brother, a restlessness that couldn't be contained. He was always in some trouble or other. It embarrassed their father and was the cause of every fight, some even came to blows.

One day Lucas just packed a bag and left. Hamish never saw him again, not until today. He had thought him dead. He didn't see how he could have survived alone, but he should have known Lucas would survive.

"Stand up brother and greet me properly," said Lucas as he pulled Hamish to his feet and embraced him. "You look as if you are seeing a ghost. Did you think me dead?"

Hamish, still in shock and unable to find his voice, shook his head.

"Perhaps you wished me dead." He laughed and perched on the edge of a table behind him, one booted foot firmly on the ground. "I always felt you and father would not have mourned long over my demise. You were his favorite," he said wagging a finger at Hamish. "You, his willing minion, and me the troublemaker. Was he greatly relieved when I left?"

"You broke his heart when you left," Hamish finally found his voice. "He sent men after you."

"I do not doubt it. He did not like anyone defying him. But as for breaking his heart," Lucas shook his head. "You never were a good liar, Hamish."

"I missed you." Hamish said softly. Lucas ignored the statement.

"What are you doing here, with these people?" Hamish asked, looking at the blue streaked men behind him.

"These are my people now. I rule them and they do my bidding without question. Look around you; have you ever seen such treasure? This is all mine. I plan to rule the world, Hamish. This side of it anyway."

Hamish had looked around him. There were golden bowls, candlesticks, and chalices, many encrusted with jewels such as rubies, sapphires and topaz. Tapestries adorned the tent walls. Fine woven rugs covered the ground and silk pillows were strewn over them. The table Lucas sat on was dark mahogany with gold inlay. Almost every inch of the large tent brimmed with opulence. Even Lucas's clothing was of the finest fabrics and fur.

Hamish felt a stab of envy. "There is an army amassing to destroy you and the Blue Horde," Hamish said this as if realizing for the first time war was imminent.

Lucas laughed. "I know all about that army. I have no worries about them. Others have tried to come against me." He stood and grabbed Hamish's arm, leading him to the tent opening. "You see that smoke over the horizon? That is the last army that came against me. Their bodies are burning on a pyre, along with their wives and children. Of course we keep the best as slaves." His white teeth gleamed in the fading sunlight as he boasted.

Hamish gazed at the black smoke drifting across the now purple sky. He stared at his brother for a moment. "How did you come to be here?"

"Oh, that is a long story, but I will tell the short version." He walked back inside the tent and flopped down on a pile of pillows. He motioned Hamish to do the same. One of his men began building a fire in a pit in the middle of the tent.

"Bring food and drink for my dear brother and I," he ordered the man. He left the tent to alert the cook the master was hungry.

"When I left Wahaland, I was taken captive by the 'Blue Horde' as you call them, I rather like that name. I, too had one of the black beast swoop from the sky and grab me in its disgusting claws. Foul smelling thing. I thought they would have killed me, but their leader, Dojon, could see I might be useful. I was made a slave, which I did not like, as you would know. Slowly, and with much work, I gained Dojon's confidence."

"Soon I was living in this tent with my master." He smiled and pointed to a corner of the tent. "I was always lucky. He, unlike father, did not find me troublesome. After a few more years I was his right hand man." He lowered his voice so the men who guarded the tent opening couldn't hear. "I became indispensable, but not so, our illustrious leader. I realized I would make a truly great leader. I am brilliant as well as handsome." He laughed, and then became serious. "I could take these people far beyond anything they could dream of. Not that they have dreams. I am not sure that they can even think for themselves. Actually, I do this all for myself."

Lucas clasped his hands in front of him. "Dojon, which was not his real name, it was Richard. He changed it so as not to bring shame to his family. They despised what he did for a living" Lucas smiled. "He was a well-educated man, he taught me so much. He spoke very eloquently, as I do. Many of my words must sound strange to you. He often quoted great men he had known, gave stirring speeches to the men. He was quite amazing. He began his life of debauchery as a pirate. His family was horrified and disowned him. He came across the Horde on one of his stops to resupply his ship. His men engaged them and their leader was killed. Dojon saw it as an opportunity. They were rather a mindless lot and completely lost without a leader. He found it remarkably easy to take them over. And the rest, as they say, is history."

"He was aging and wanted to settle down in one place. He'd tired of the fighting and pillaging, so I slowly poisoned him. I knew there were more lands to conquer, and so many riches for the taking. He needed to go. He died a rather unpleasant death. I was beside him until the end, making him as comfortable as I could. I think he came to know it was me who was killing him."

Lucas gave a wolfish smile. It sent a sliver of fear down Hamish's spine, causing him to shiver. He realized his brother had no conscience. He had a depth of evil that went far beyond just being selfish, he seemed to enjoy all the death.

Lucas cocked his head to one side. "Brother, together we can do great things. You can be my second; we can rule the world together."

Hamish gave him a sour look, but the idea appealed to his ego. Hadn't his whole life been dedicated to the idea of being great. Hadn't he plotted and schemed to that end? He looked around the tent again. He could have all this. Greatness was within reach. "What is to keep you from poisoning me?"

Their food arrived and Lucas stood, helping Hamish to his feet, he laughed at his question. "I guess nothing, but I promise not to, as long as you obey orders." He sat at the table and ripped a large piece of mutton from a platter and shoved it in his mouth as he laughed. Grease ran down his chin and his eyes gleamed.

Hamish thought his brother more than a little mad, but his greed and ambition won out and he too laughed.


 




Picture from Google
Lucas-Hamish's long lost brother
Joshua-Champion for his people
Lyse- Joshua girlfriend and Augdon's daughter
Augdon-Captain of the Guardians
Nyla-Joshua's mother
Dyster-blue dragon
Hamish-vain spiritual adviser
Goran-Joshua's grandfather, Nyla's father
Drake & Erik-Joshua's uncles Nyla's brothers
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.