Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 31, 2018 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
As we grow older - more happens

A chapter in the book Geoff's Ramblings

Further Developments - Part 1

by Sankey




Background
I decided on this way of adding more to my book "The Little Dog That Wouldn't Let Go" I just got finished, so as not to leave things "up in the air" and me still feeling I had to add more to my story.
It seems as we grow older more things get put on our plate.

I have been meaning to write some more on new developments in my declining health. Aging seems to be a big factor of course. I am 67. Things not really important don't start happening till we get "longer in the tooth."

I have written elsewhere about my Sleep Apnoea. Formerly known as "Obstructive  Sleep Apnoea," I am about to have my fourth Sleep test next week to actually determine if my Sleep Apnoea has degenerated to "Central Sleep Apnoea."

This means I will need a higher pressure CPAP* machine to aid better sleep if the tests come back positive for "Central Sleep Apnoea" diagnosis.  I am hoping  I get action on approved higher levels of "My Aged Care+" funding to help pay for the new machine, possibly costing as much as $AUD5,000. 

My wife recently got an upgrade of her adjustable bed and mattress, after ten years on the old one, same as I still have. Perhaps I can get an upgrade when the approved levels I am on are put into motion. Mine is still ok for now but the mattress looks like it might need replacement, soon.

Some have wondered how I came to be approved for a similar bed to my wife. For many years I was assisting Louise in and out of our double bed we had for ages.  I probably strained my left side in helping her up all those years. Then I had two bad falls in the bath which exacerbated my injury on that side as well. I went for months with these big black bruises on my left side.

Added to this is the "Restless Legs" syndrome also associated with my Sleep  Disorder. The Adjustable bed has been a real asset to me also for these ten years. I was so grateful Louise's Occupational Therapist and my Physiotherapy principal went to bat for me with the powers-that-be, in obtaining Government support for my bed.

Louise has had a Bed Cradle for some time. Located down the end, with the base placed under the mattress, it takes the pressure off her legs and allows better movement for turning over and so on. Up until recent times, I was experiencing terrible pressure on my feet. Particularly in the colder months with extra covers on to keep warm. I decided I could probably use a bed cradle myself. So I went and bought one and have never regretted the decision to do so. It is much more comfortable without heavy covers pressing on my feet during the night.

I used to think I was on a lot of Medication. Then I met someone on more than me. I have had some additions to the Medication Resume, recently and even one of longstanding, now withdrawn.

I was on a med for a middle ear problem I have had for years. Ostensibly, a middle ear infection that went untreated for too long. It caused continual problems for my hearing, only fixed by application of this particular drug. Funnily enough, this drug is also used for teenagers with acne problems and can also be applied to Upper Respiratory Tract Infections.

At one time, I reported to the doctor for the Upper respiratory thing and he mistakenly gave me the higher dose of the Doxycycline I was taking for the ear problem. The result being it ruined all the good work the other lower dose was doing on my hearing. I made sure the doc did not give me that same treatment again, the next time. Strange how the patient has to do a lot of self-diagnosis at times. I guess the doctors are all still "practising?" Haha.

Two more Meds added to the stable of pills I take, either morning or night or both. The major one is Hydrocortisone tablets. This has made a big change in my life. Also attributable to the aging process, it is for an "Insufficient Adrenaline" problem caused by a lack of "Cortisol" being produced from my already low acting Pituitary Gland, a problem I have had from birth and also causing infertility and hypothyroid conditions. However, this new drug is also something I cannot do without.

Should I vomit or have diarrhoea, the medication is ejected and brings about the need to be taken to Emergency immediately to be injected with the replacement medication. For this reason, I was signed up for the "MedicAlert" I am now required to wear at all times.

On the back is listed all my major medical issues with an emergency number to call, should I fall or pass out somewhere. Information is also included in my wallet and in my Mobile phone case with the same information if someone finds me for them to call.

 
Louise and I are nearly always together wherever we go, so it may not be too much of a problem, except if I am alone, as happens, occasionally.

The Hydrocortisone med has a side effect of raising Blood Sugar levels in the system. Being a Type 2 Diabetic I am always conscious of the need to keep the blood sugar level as low as possible. Now I am taking "Trajenta" in the mornings, as well, to aid in the lowering of the sugar levels in the blood.

The fact that I have also now been diagnosed Coeliac...yeah I know in America they spell it different... means I have to be on a Gluten-Free Diet. The thing about most "Gluten-Free" foods is; they are, a lot of the time FULL OF SUGAR! Being Type 2 Diabetic and Coeliac is no fun sometimes.  I am still learning how to cope with it all. I have also just learned that bad sleeping contributes to higher blood sugar levels.

This is part one of a continuing story,
more changes and new information having come to bear.

 



Recognized


I know a lot of my readers are aware, but for those of you I have not met before please remember this is in Australian English, including spelling. This is another ramble inspired by the Queen of FS Rambles Sasha, a top friend and splendid author, always worth reading.
Pictures:Top Left: Our Special beds; Louise's on the left has now been replaced with a new bed and mattress after 10 years. The lovely cover was made by her longtime friend Gail about the time we got our beds.
Top Right: A picture of a similar Bed Cradle to the ones we both have.
Middle: Some of the large collection of my weekly Medication resume.
Bottom Left: My MedicAlert to be worn at all times.
Bottom Right: Details on back of MedicAlert. *Continuous Positive Airways Pressure; +a programme for over 65yr olds funding in Australia for Medical and other assistance.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.