General Poetry posted August 23, 2018 Chapters:  ...230 231 -232- 233... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A not-limerick

A chapter in the book A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities

Best friends

by CD Richards

 
I'm pleased that I consanguinate with you
I feel that we are one, although we're two
If you were not around, then I
Would be most sad, and likely cry
You're my best friend, and my companion too
 




Today's word: consanguinate (v.) to sympathise, to have an affinity with or fondness for.

I found several words from the same root, but not this exact one in my online searches. Most of them have to do with some sort of blood relationship (sanguis), however according to my book, although originally rooted in that term, this word was used in the seventeenth century simply to indicate a close feeling.

My much-treasured Christmas present for 2017 is a book by Paul Anthony Jones: "The cabinet of linguistic curiosities". Each page contains a descriptive story about some obscure or archaic word. It occurred to me it would be a fun exercise to try and write, each day, a poem featuring the "word of the day" from the book.

Thanks for reading.

This follows the rhyme form of a limerick, and syllable count, at least in the longer lines. However, it's in iambic meter, and limericks are usually anapestic. So it's just "limerick-like" in some regards. I don't know if it has a name.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.