Romance Fiction posted August 19, 2018 Chapters:  ...89 90 -91- 92... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Patricia has a surprise for Shana.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Achtundzwanzig Part zwei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Yes, Ma'am," said Oscar, the security team leader. He held a female's arm. "This lady says she knows Mr. Sharp."

"Of course, I know him. I was married to him for two and a half years. I'm Mrs. Sharp." Patricia yanked away her arm, almost falling. "You must be his new woman." She looked Shana over. "Where's Drew?"

"He's not here right now. When he gets home, I'll tell him you want to speak to him."

Patricia shoved her way inside. "I'll wait. I never liked it here." She faced Shana. "Why'd he come back to this hell-hole?"

"I don't know. You'll have to ask him. Are you sure you want to wait? It might be hours."

"We can get to know each other." Patricia went into the living room.

Oscar watched Patricia. "Ms. Kohlberg, would you like me to stay?"

"No. She doesn't need you to stay. You're only hired help anyway. We can share Drew stories, right, dearie?"

"Thank you, Oscar, but I'll be fine." Shana took a deep breath and closed the door behind him.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 28 part 2

Patricia stumbled through the living room. She stopped and picked up Anderson's guitar. "I guess the family still sits around and enjoys music. Not real music, only that country stuff. Do you like country music?" She tossed it aside.

"It's all right. I prefer classical." Shana set the guitar upright.

"Figures. Where's my daughter?"

"Emily's still in New York City, at the penthouse."

"Good. I don't want her exposed to you or this god-forsaken lifestyle." Patricia glanced toward the window. "That nosy security guard's still out there." She swaggered to the door and opened it. "Little Miss Prissy said you could leave. Now, leave!" she yelled. "It's hard to get good help."

Shana blinked. Now, what do I do? She doesn't look like she feels well. If I can get to the kitchen, I'll get Susan. She'll know what to do? She swallowed. "Could I get you something to drink?"

"I'm good. They usually only have water, tea, coffee, or lemonade. I'd prefer something stronger."

All right, then. Shana said, "I'm surprised to see you. I thought you were on vacation in Fiji."

"I see my ex filled you in." Patricia continued to pace as her stare darted around the room. "Did he tell you that he expected me to live on nothing while he lived in a luxurious penthouse with hired help? He wouldn't even support my daughter."

I wish she'd sit. She's like a wild cat stalking its prey, and it's making me nervous. Maybe I can get her talking. Shana pointed to a chair. "Why don't you have a seat? You don't look like you feel well. How did you and Drew meet?"

"It's really none of your business. Is it?"

"You're right, it's not. I was just trying to make conversation. Drew probably won't be back for hours. Are you sure you want to wait?" Shana glanced toward the kitchen. I wish Susan would come in.

"Why don't you call him? I bet if you tell him I'm waiting, he'll rush right home."

Shana glanced at her watch. He's probably still in a meeting. Drew, I really need you right now. I don't know what to do.

Patricia laughed. "You don't have a clue how to get in touch with him, do you?" She swayed as she put her hands on her hips. "He really wants to keep you in the dark. He's surrounded you with all this security. Have you asked yourself why? What are you going to do when he tosses you to the curb? He'll tell you he wants a child. After you give him one, he'll kick you out. He won't even pay for the child. You'll be on your own. Did you sign a pre-nup?" She stumbled. "I refused and still got screwed."

Is she drunk or high? It doesn't matter. She's probably high. Oscar would've smelled alcohol. I've gotten myself in a real mess. Drew and Jeff are not going to be happy. I may never be left alone again. I'd better figure a way out of this.

Reaching inside a pocket, Patricia pulled out a small pistol and pointed it at Shana.

Shana's eyes widened. "I don't know what's going on. If you think Drew and I are in a relationship, you're wrong. He's simply helping me with a problem. Once the problem is settled, we'll go our separate ways. Somebody could get hurt." She pointed at the gun. "You need to put that away."

"I can't do that." Patricia waved the gun. "I have a problem too. See, Drew left me penniless. It's his fault I owe people money. They want me to repay them by getting rid of you. I don't know what you did to make them angry. That's not my problem." She stumbled, again.

"I'm sure we can work something out." Shana scanned the room. "Why don't I give you something of mine? You can show it to them and tell them you took care of me."

The gun shook in Patricia's hand. "They're watching all the time. They'd know you're still alive."

"I don't think you really want to do this."



Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend
Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter
Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.
Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.
Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.
Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator
Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father
Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother
Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting
Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria
Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.
Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother
Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father
Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother
Leon Sharp - - Anderson's grandfather
Grandma Sharp - - Anderson's grandmother
Oscar - - Team Leader of the security detail
Detective Rollins - - Austin police detective
Allan Ryan - -FBI agent, the lead agent



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a woman holding a gun. Things are starting to come together and some questions answered. Thank you for all the support you give my writing.

I have new principal and she is changing the way everything at the school I teach at. My time for FS has been greatly limited. I will review as I can. If I miss your post, I'm sorry. I normally review on Saturday's but had to spend 6 hours on school stuff besides my normal housework. SORRY!!!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.