General Fiction posted August 11, 2018 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Scruffy gets a more suitable name

A chapter in the book Be Wee With Bea

Caring About Others

by Liz O'Neill




Background
Bea has danced to the music of nature and invited a potential friend into her cave home with some communication problems. Things are better now but as you might expect not for long.
Scruffy began to eat better. In addition to being adept at retrieving honey from bees' hives, bears are also good at catching fish. Scruffy finally dared to tell Bea that he would much rather have fish than honey or some old hard piece of pizza crust like he was forced to eat in his last home. He began to look a lot better, too. And as time went on he began to feel a lot better about himself.
During one of her brain exercises, Bea thought about how the name Scruffy made her feel. It reminded her of that scruffy, scrawny cat she met on one of her rigorous strolling exercises. He was nowhere to be found. In his place was a handsome raccoon cat who had the most beautiful fur and a flowing tail which looked like the mane of some of her horse friends. It was time for him to change his name. She thought of a name that would be much more dignified -- Scruffles, the Raccoon Cat. It was set; from now on, he would be known as Scruffles, the Raccoon Cat.
Just because Scruffles felt better it did not, unfortunately, mean that everything around him got better. Sometimes Bea would hear him crying in his sleep and watch his little legs beating back and forth as if he were trying to get away from something. His bad memories had come back ever since the two meanest cats you could ever meet began showing up.
Orian, an ugly orange tomcat, outweighed Scruffles by at least eight pounds. Scruffles had put on some weight by now, but he still weighed only twelve pounds. Bea was afraid he was no match against such a massive cat. Scruffles did surprise her, though. After a terrible battle, finding only one clump of Scruffles' fur on the ground, she counted THREE blond clumps of Orian's hair from his strong broad back.
From then on, Orian didn't seem as interested in fighting Scruffles. He went back to fighting squirrels where he had much more success. The more terrible of the two was Sam, who didn't seem to fear anything. His teeth were so very, very sharp and could dig deep into Scruffles' back and tail.
Whenever he saw Sam, poor Scruffles just froze. Bea knew that her friend could not handle things on his own and that she needed to do a rigorous brain exercise.







Timothy, the wood carving, clay pot making, furniture building beaver, who has already helped Bea, introduced me to her. I was immediately attracted to her. I felt energized as I joined her in her STROLLING exercise listening to the music of nature. I met her dear handsome friend Scruffles the Raccoon Cat and Sweet Puppy whom you will meet later.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.