Romance Fiction posted August 5, 2018 Chapters:  ...87 88 -89- 90... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana and Drew share a moment.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Siebenundzwanzig Part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Last night, you trusted me enough to sleep beside me, but you don't trust me enough to sit beside me on a bed. I don't understand. Please explain."

Moments of silence filled the air.

"I can't." Shana studied her hands as she fidgeted with them.

"Please look at me when you speak."

"Why? So you can read my face?"

"Partly. But I also enjoy looking into your beautiful eyes."

Pink tinged her cheeks. "You're impossible." Shana smiled.

"Good, we're getting somewhere. Tell me why you left your nice comfortable bed for the hardwood floor."



TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 27 part 3

"I couldn't sleep." Shana released a deep breath. "I kept seeing images of you and that man fighting over the knife. I got scared something bad would happen. What if he got the knife before you did?" Moisture welled in her eyes.

"Sweetheart." Anderson guided her face to his chest as his arms surrounded her.

"I needed to know you're safe." Tears escaped her eyes and flowed down her cheeks. "I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry about." He kissed her forehead. "I'm glad you told me. I figured you feared for your safety, not mine."

Shana ran her finger along the area where the knife had slashed his arm. "What if he missed your arm and hit your heart? You were injured because of me." She swallowed. "I care too much for you to be the cause of you getting hurt."

He held her tighter.

"Please promise you won't do anything to put yourself in danger again." Shana's eyes met his.

"Shana, I can't make that promise. I won't make promises I can't keep. If you're in danger, I'll do whatever is necessary to keep you safe."

"But..."

"But, nothing," interrupted Anderson. "That's who I am. Emily and you are my top priorities. Nothing else matters."

"Drew?" When he acknowledged her, she continued, "Thank you for being you."

Anderson grinned. "Shana, Shana, Shana, you do so much for my ego."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Not really, but..." Anderson paused before he continued, "I'm sure my ego is healthy enough. Many people would say it doesn't need help." After he held her a few more moments, he asked, "Ready for breakfast? I'm sure Mom set some back." He stood and offered his hand.

Shana screamed and pointed to the floor. "One of those lizards!"

Bending over to pick it up, Anderson held it out. He laughed as she jumped back. "Silly, it's only a string. Not a gecko." He moved it closer to her. "See."

Shana grabbed a pillow and tossed it at him. "You're teasing me."

"Maybe a little but honestly, it's only a string." He threw the pillow back.

Shana caught it and raised it.

"If I were you, I wouldn't do that." Anderson grinned.

"And why not?" Shana hit him with the pillow. "You're making fun of me."

"Because I'll do this." He laughed as he returned the pillow. "A little teasing is healthy."

"That's pure nonsense. How can teasing be healthy?" Shana moved closer to get a better aim.

Anderson grabbed the pillow from her. As she attempted to reach for it, his arms surrounded her. They stared into each other's eyes. His arms drew her closer. A silent stare continued.

"Didn't you say something about breakfast?" whispered Shana.

"I did," answered Anderson. They remained locked by each other's eyes.

A few moments later Shana said, "I think we'd better go."

They remained in each other's arms.

"I think you're right." Anderson didn't remove his arms.

Both heads turned as they heard a knock on the door. Anderson quickly stepped away and answered.

Shana grabbed the pillow.

Zachery surveyed the situation. "You two were having a pillow fight." He laughed. "Drew, you're a force to be reckoned with on the Wall Street floor. You're an Oil Baron, and you had a pillow fight. This is priceless."

Anderson attempted to ignore his brother's accusations. "Why are you here?"

"The men are here with the bed. Do you want them to deliver it now, or wait until the pillow fight's over?" He continued laughing. "I can't wait to tell Jeff."

"You'd better not," warned Anderson.

"Too late, I'm in the hall. I think it's hilarious," teased Jeff. "A former Marine has pillow fights. OORAH!"

"Have them deliver the bed. We're eating breakfast." Anderson led Shana into the hall.

A heavyset delivery man asked, "Sir, we're supposed to put the bed together. Do you have any tools? We forgot ours."

"Take it out of the boxes. I'll put it together later." Anderson shook his head. "And take the boxes with you." He continued to the kitchen. "Mom, is any breakfast left?"

Susan opened the refrigerator and removed two plates. "If this isn't enough, I have leftovers." She placed one in the microwave and poured two cups of coffee.

"Drew, do you know how to put the bed together?" asked Shana.

"Of course, why wouldn't I?" His eyebrows rose.

"Your engineering degree is in oil, not putting things together."

"I'll have you read me instructions," teased Anderson.

"I'm glad that MIT education I paid for isn't going to waste." Michael laughed.

As Susan set the plates down, Anderson's phone rang. He checked it. "It's Philip. I'd better take it. Go ahead and start eating." He stepped onto the patio.

Moments later he returned. "I need to fly to New York." He answered Shana's questioning eyes. "It's only business. I'll be back in time for dinner. Romeo and Thor will come back with me." He took a bite. "When I return, you can help me put that bed together."

Jeff sat beside Anderson. "Did I hear you're leaving for a few hours?"

"Sure did. There are some business issues that need my immediate attention. Is that a problem?"

"I have some people working at the place on Wild Road. I wanted to be there to make sure they're doing what I wanted and don't take any shortcuts."

Anderson looked at Shana and bit his lower lip. "Do you think there's enough security? I know you added some men."

"I'll speak with everybody and make sure there are no mistakes." Jeff smiled as Susan sat beside them. "I'm sure she's more than capable of looking after Shana."

Susan grinned. "You bet."





Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend
Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter
Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.
Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.
Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.
Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator
Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father
Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother
Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting
Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria
Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.
Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother
Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father
Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother
Leon Sharp - - Anderson's grandfather
Grandma Sharp - - Anderson's grandmother
Detective Rollins - - Austin police detective
Allan Ryan - -FBI agent, the lead agent



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a couple having a pillow fight. Things are starting to come together and some questions will be answered. Again, slightly longer than normal post. There's a sentence in this post. I have changed no less than fifty times and still don't have it right. Please help!!! Sorry. Thank you for all the support you give my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.