General Fiction posted August 2, 2018 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Gray makes an interesting discovery

A chapter in the book My Brothers' Keeper

Gray Rescues Again

by aryr

PREVIOUSLY: Rachel is a forensic medical examiner, who after receiving disturbing news, decides she needs some alone time to think. So, she goes to a B&B in a large park, but gets lost, Gray, the wolf, finds her incapacitated and goes home to Daniel to get him to help her. Daniel is a Native American and a successful lawyer. She decides to stay with him in his modern cave rather than the B&B. Her family is aware and that she is safe. She confesses her medical history, and of the discovery of a chimera-her twin brother that her body had absorbed. Gray gets hurt but survives. They visited with family and explained the chimera. Now they talked about the rustlers that they would catch..........
NOW TO CONTINUE................................................



Daniel dismounted, gave the reins to Tim and walked the short distance to the road. As he squatted down, Bob dismounted and walked over.

"What did you find? This is nothing but an old dirt trail that hasn't been used in a long time. That end, (pointing to the right) has a cattle guard and emptied onto the highway about fifteen miles or so, the other end goes to Ned's place which is about ten miles."

"Well for a road that hasn't been used in a long time, someone has used it regularly and recently. Look at all those tire marks, I can pick out at least nine different runs, and those foot prints up there show at least three people."

Walking up the road towards Ned's house about a quarter of a mile, Daniel bent down again.

"These scuff marks across the road, show where a tail gate had been laid down, and those hooves are definitely made by cows. Bob, I think we have discovered how the rustlers are stealing the cattle."

"Well I'll be damned, I am going to call Ned right now, he needs to get out here now."

He spoke into his cell phone, "Ned, it's Bob, we're on that old dirt road behind your house. We need you out here now. Okay, see you in a few."

It was only about fifteen minutes before they saw a trail of dust preceded by a beat up green pickup truck.

"What's up?" Ned asked as he climbed out.

"Ned, this here is Daniel, you already know Phil and Tim. Oh and that there is Gray, he's a wolf but thinks he's a dog. He actually found the tracks and Daniel investigated. Look here!"

"Hey, I heard about this wolf, the whole town has, which is good because now no one will shoot him. You don't always see one so big and so gray."

Ned turned his attention away from Gray and focused on the problem at hand, "What tracks?"

Bob and Daniel had gone up the road several feet from the marks and the small turn around area.

"These tire tracks and trailer tail gate along with cattle hooves look mighty suspicious to me, there is even an area where they have turned the truck around. This is how they are stealing the cows."

"Well, I'll be damned. You know about a year ago, old Pete asked me if his cattle could graze with mine and I said it was alright. He's lost some." Ned offered.

"Bob, I guess you are glad the two cows, you have just stay in the coral behind the barn. Hey, do the kids still like the milk and having the chance to milk them?"

"Everyday those kids are here, it's like a special holiday treat. They have to milk Bessie and Tulip. Bob answered.

"So, what do you think, Daniel? Do we have some evidence?" He asked.

Ned nodded, and Daniel spoke up. "We can get some molds of the tire prints, the truck is slightly wider than the trailer, which is deeper. I think we need to come up with a plan, and this area needs to be watched. Those trees over there would be a great cover area, since they seem to use these trees to prevent anyone seeing them in the act. I also have an idea for a camera, if no one objects."

"Son, knock yourself out. Hey, boys can you give Daniel a hand with what ever he comes up with?"

The two boys nodded, they had both decided that they liked Daniel and now with him being so willing to help, it was a done deal. Rachel had chosen well.

Daniel rejoined the two older men, "What I would like the two of you to do is to sit down and figure out when the cattle disappeared. Bob, if you can check with any of the others with missing cattle as to dates and if they have unused roads. Phil, Tim and I have some shopping and I have some calls to make."

Bob and Ned were on the phones calling the other farmers and setting up a meeting in an hour and advising them to keep everything mum.

Daniel phoned his friend, who was a camera and video expert.

"I'd like to call in a favor, but it is for a good cause."

Daniel had been an expert witness for several cases Bill had been involved with. Because of the circumstances, Daniel was told there was no charge and no favor calling. Apparently, Bill's grandfather had been a rancher and Bill knew the value of both hard work and cattle. The camera and equipment would be there in twenty-four hours.

Bob made it back to the ranch before the three boys and explained to the women what they had found and what was going on. The ladies were excited and offered to help in any way needed. He explained that the priority was to keep the ladies safe, so if any tasks were assigned, it would be in the house.

By the time the boys made it back, there were a few of the farmers. The ladies had been asked to field calls and generally keep an eye on this happening around the ranch. The men were going to meet inside in the family room. Bob took the floor and quickly introduced Daniel as Rachel's boyfriend and of course, Gray.

He reviewed what they had found on the old dirt road and what he suspected. He explained that he needed details from each farmer and then provided information regarding his plan.

It took them about an hour and a half before the three boys were able to sit down with the gathered information. An hour later, they had discovered that there were actually three old roads being used. A pattern was established. Daniel quickly called Bill to ask if he could get three sets. It was not a problem, twenty-four hours tops. By their calculations, there would be a hit in three days. Just enough time to get things organized.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.