General Fiction posted July 20, 2018 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Rachel repeats her story to her brothers.

A chapter in the book My Brothers' Keeper

Family

by aryr

My Brothers' Keeper

PREVIOUSLY: Rachel is a forensic medical examiner, who after receiving disturbing news, decides she needs some alone time to think. So, she goes to a B&B in a large park, but gets lost, Gray the wolf finds her incapacitated and goes home to Daniel to get him to help her. Daniel is a Native American and a successful lawyer. She decides to stay with him in his modern cave rather than the B&B. Her family is aware and that she is safe. She confesses her medical history, and of the discovery of a chimera-her twin brother that her body had absorbed. Gray gets hurt but survives. They are now visiting her parents and her brothers and their families have joined ........
NOW TO CONTINUE................................................


Over the next two days, they talked more about what had happened and prepared for the arrival of the two boys and their families. It was agreed that the young children should not be exposed to the tale, they would be provided with a video in the family room with the door closed. Two of the three young'uns were old enough to understand when their parents and grandparents needed adult time.

Daniel learned a lot regarding the ranch, the neighbors, and the community. It was surprising to discover that a crime could occur in such a peaceful place. Someone, or rather a group of someones, were rustling cattle from the neighboring farmers. Just two or three at a time but over a period of six months close to sixty. Of course, he offered his assistance.

The families of the two boys showed up within minutes of each other. Daniel was introduced to Phillip, his wife Tanya and their children, Samantha (Sam) and Peter (Pete) who were the first twins in the family. (Until Rachel had arrived with her surprise.) Tim then arrived with Claire and the newest granddaughter Sylvia.

The grandparents, Rachel and Daniel, had previously decided to discuss the unexpected brother the next morning. This was to allow Grandpa and Grandma time with the three little ones. The rest of the day was filled with laughter, hugs and of course for the children, seeing the puppies and kittens.

After dinner, Bob advised the two boys and their wives that there was some important family business to discuss in the morning. He explained that the twins would watch television and the baby, who was only a couple of months old would be comfortable in her car seat in the kitchen arm chair. When questions started, he simply raised his hand, to indicate nothing more would be said until the morning. Both boys had had long drives, so it was an early night for all.

Breakfast was simple, scrambled eggs, toast with jam, coffee and milk for the twins. When clean up was completed, the twins were whisked off to the family room, where they were advised that the door was not to be opened and they were expected to behave. Grandpa further challenged them to report on the events of the video, with a reward for the best report. The adults then sat around the table with fresh coffee.

Robert started the conversation, "Rachel has something important to share with you. Your mother and I already know. I would strongly suggest that you hold all questions or comments until she is done." He nodded to Rachel.

Once again, she reached for Daniel's hand, and he offered a nod, a smile and a slight squeeze to her hand.

"Okay, I am glad that Dad has provided some guidelines and I promise to answer any questions, and I can guarantee there will be. Let's see, a few weeks ago I discovered a lump...." she shared the story of what had happened and of Daniel Robert Smyth, who discreetly remained safe on the mantle.

The four sat in silence, mouths open and a look of shock for several minutes. Bob broke the ice, by suggesting that they all go to the living room. Silence followed them.

As Bob took the tiny box off the mantle, he announced, "This is your brother Daniel, the boy none of us knew about. Phillip would you hold him and then pass him to Tim."

Phillip, with shaking hands, held the box, his head was bowed, and his lips were silently moving. After a few minutes he turned to Tim, who did the same. Tanya and Clair held the box jointly briefly before returning it to Bob.

"We offered a prayer, before placing him on the mantle, can we do that again?"
All heads nodded and dropped as he prayed.

They all returned to the kitchen and after fresh coffee, Rachel fielded questions. It was almost an hour later that they heard a tiny voice from the family room, calling for grandpa.

"We can't leave the kids waiting. They have been good, so any further questions will have to wait until later this evening. Come on out kids, let's hear your reports."

Both Phillip and Tim, briefly commented that they were fine and felt everything had been answered.

"Grandpa, you will never guess what Nemo did..." The reports had started and everyone smiled.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.