Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted July 14, 2018 Chapters:  ...30 30 -30- 30... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My opinion in prose

A chapter in the book Poetry NOOK

Fan Story a Literary Haven

by Bucketlist


If you're seeking a therapeutic hobby, the thrill of the slot machines, brain exercise, and healthier addiction, then FS is the place for you. FS offers all those and more.

Briefly, my story is that I came for a day, and stayed for 2 years. I had prior writing experiences enforced by a nutty professor. A friend suggested I share them.

This is a place you can pass as much, or as little time sharing with other writers through reviewing, and penning.

It's like one unending family of relatives you've never met. A number will become your favorites. FS is a multi-aged family with the usual array of personalities.

One of the nicest and less expensive therapies available, is expression.There is a plethora of styles. Nothing is forbidden, except being insensitive with others on account of choice of expression. If you don't have anything good to say- don't say anything! This site has allowed my free expression, my purging, subject choice, humor, sadness, and joy. The fact that we have pseudonyms allows us a chance to hide behind our literary masks and provides mystique.

The thrill of the gambling aspect comes with promoting our literary talents (of COURSE they're brilliant) it starts with paying the machine, quickly followed by the invitation to buy more steps up the audience ladder to gain reading exposure. Strange thing is, initially we get a big boost, but just like the one arm bandits, the increments get smaller and smaller to get to payout. Darn! The machine won again.....The addiction grows, until we can all feed the machine too much for the recognition.
Maybe the bank doesn't think we notice, but.......
My suggestion would be to give 3 free promotions with the Treasure Chest , or 2 for the Pot of Gold in addition to the 2 complimentary first posting. I would be more inclined to pay for certificates.

If you've ever competed with popular athletes who win most races, you know what you're up against in both popularity and prowess. The best get met by a large crowd. The less known or popular get greeted by "Oh, hello son!" Or daughter,.

Of course, if you just write for your own pleasure and stop to smell the roses, then recognition comes later. I must admit I have had a pretty good reviewer base. Yes, even virtual friendships can be a bonus.

As for brain excercise, writing is wonderful. There are many of us young oldies who want to keep as many abilities as we can. FS provides the gym of contest challenges. The only caveat is the price. The entry fee is usually the same, whether it is for a 750 word or a 3 line contest. Of course I realize that it's a gym business. As funny as it seems, the brain is a muscle! I've been flexing my mental muscle all this time, every day~Carpe Diem!!!!

FS iS an equal age opportunity site, and social intercourse happens frequently between posts and reviews from people. I have connections to younger writers and older ones too, There is the addiction of writing at all hours. Once posted, the addiction is further fed by the compulsion to frequently check the review light. The good reviews are the payoff, the others a learning opportunity.

One situation has me a little saddened. There are several clubs now with diverse interests. Sometimes, it feels like people have split away from more generic writing. In these, there's a reduction in general penning to follow specific subjects. Next, comes a loss of general reviewing in favor of the club topics. Or did I just image that?

Despite my little quirks and picky picks, FS is a positive addiction.



Fanstory Review contest entry


Pinterest image
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bucketlist All rights reserved.
Bucketlist has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.