Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 11, 2018 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The police continue to search for Jackie

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Wrapping it Up

by Mistydawn


Summary
Matilda just lost her Grandson to a drunk driver.
Granny is getting ready to kill her fourth victim when a group of people stumbles out of the bar. She flees, leaving one victim alive. He dies in a hospital, mumbling Granny. Everyone believes he's talking about his own relative and not the killer. Granny tries to stop a drunk in the park. A cop sees what she's doing and arrests her. She talks herself out of trouble then receives an award for taking down the Nanny Bandit. A waitress catches her; she decides to make her a partner. A nurse sees blood on her dress. Granny explains, there was an accident at the park. Jackie catches granny in the act so Grany decides to make her a partner. Together they kill over a dozen.

The Berryville detectives find a dozen victims in the alley and ID's a lady who's arguing with one of the victims. They bring her to the station. The police found bloody clothes, wig and the murder weapon in Matilda's things. The police believe her partner is Jackie. Joe finally asks Rachel on a date.
___

The team is finishing up when Joe and Rachel pull up to the scene. Joe first sees Jerry barking out orders; he then notices how everyone is busily carrying out his plan. "I think he'll make a fine Sergeant someday, don't you?" Joe asks as he admires Jerry's proficiency.

"You're not quitting, are you, Joe?"

"Of course not." Rachel breathes a sigh of relief, Joe smiles. "The Captain wants me to take over when he retires, and I'd like for Jerry to take my spot, once we pass our exams."

"The Captain is leaving?" she asks, shocked by his news. She figured he'd be there until his dying day.

"He doesn't want to, believe me, he doesn't, not after thirty-five years on the force. Millie is a lot sicker; can't take care of herself anymore. The captain feels like he needs to be there in her final days.."

"I can understand that."

Joe grabs her arm as she starts to climb out of the car. "Don't tell anyone I told you alright?"

"When is his last day?"

"Soon, real soon."

"Does Jerry know?"

"I told him yesterday so he can prepare for his exam."

"What did he think?"

"He says he wants to do this, but I can tell he's a little worried about his test."

"So, that's why you've been laying on the praise."

Joe scratches his head. "I'm that obvious, huh?"

"Just a little." Rachel laughs. "We should throw the captain a party; show him how much we care."

"That's exactly what he doesn't want, teary goodbyes."

"We have to do something for him after what he's done for us, for this city."

"Why can't you just honor someone's wishes, for once?"Joe asks, pretending to be annoyed.

"What if we throw a party just because?"

"Everyone would question us to death, trying to figure out the reason behind the celebration."

"You're probably right about that." She glances out the window, hoping she'll come up with another idea. "I got it!" Joe jumps in his seat. Smiling, she continues, "What if we claim it's for his birthday."

"You're two months late."

"It'll be a belated party then." Chuckling, she climbs out of the car.

That's what I'd hoped she'd do since I promised the captain that I wouldn't. Joe follows her across the yard. 

"So what can you tell us, Jerry?" Joe questions as he steps up beside him.

"The victim died the same way a wound to their carotid artery. Sharon says our victim died between eight and midnight and his beating was done premortem."

"Did you see anything on the security footage?"

"We found Jackie headed over to where our victim was found."

"So she's taking over, now Matilda is behind bars?"

"It seems that way, boss."

"What can you tell me about our victim?"

"His name is Mike Morgan; he's recently divorced and has two convictions for DWI." 

"Everyone they've targeted so far seems to have a drinking problem."

"I was just about to mention that, boss."

Jeff runs towards them. Joe and Jerry turn around. "Sir, sir, we just got another call about a body over on seven south," Jeff replies.

"Jerry, Jeff, I want you to take forensics and head on over, I'll see about locating her once and for all."

"Everyone on the force is already searching, boss."

"I'm going to get Eureka PD and the sheriff's office involved."

"What do you want me to do, Joe?" Rachel asks.

"Take one of the cruisers and start looking."

***

"Where do you want to go now?" Jackie asks, opening the car door.

"Clean up first," Granny says, throwing her a roll of paper towel and a bottle of water. Both women are covered in blood from their last encounter. We would have to find a bleeder, Granny thinks as she cleans up the best she can. "I think we should head to the bar."

"I'm sure we can wipe out a lot of drunks there." Jackie excitedly replies.

"That's my plan, dear, get as many as we can." Granny smiles as she slides into her car.

Jackie follows. "I can hardly wait."

Granny glances over at the bubbly woman beside her. Maybe I should be worried about my own life? Granny gives her an inquisitive look. She wouldn't kill me, would she?

***

Rachel has been cruising around town for hours, but Jackie's tan Lincoln is nowhere to be found. Where on earth can she be? She sees the sun breaking through the darkness as she stares across the horizon. Someone should've found her by now, she thinks, pulling onto the rugged backroad for the third time tonight. A thought occurs to her as she bumps down the weathered road. What if she's using someone else's vehicle? Whose car would she use, her partner's? Wouldn't Matilda's car have been seized? I think I'll check just to be sure. Rachel pulls up to the lot a few minutes later. "I'm looking for the dark blue Toyota that came in two days ago."

"A detective from Stone County took possession of it a couple of hours after it got here."

Why would they be interested in this case? "Did they sign for it?"

"No car ever leaves this lot without a signature." He grabs a clipboard off the wall and starts scanning through it. "Here it is, her name is Detective Morgan. She showed me her credentials and forfeiture papers on the car."

"Thanks for your help."

"No problem, Detective."

I better let Joe know what I discovered. She starts to dial a number when she hears a dispatcher's voice boom across the radio. "More dead bodies? Will this nightmare ever end?"

***

The sun is peaking over the Ozark Mountains as the woman drive back in silence. Both are physically and emotionally drained after a long strenuous night.

"I think we did very well," Jackie says as she leans her head against the window. She admires the beautiful sunrise with its array of oranges, reds, and golds hovering just above the mountain tops.

"I think so too. In fact, I think we should be done with this town after tonight."

"What are we going to do then?" Jackie questions.

"I'm going to move on, start again."

"You mean we are, right?" she anxiously inquires.

Not if my plan works. "I figured you'd be bored with our mission by now."

"How could I ever get tired of doing something for the greater good?"

We could take care of a lot more and it wouldn't be so taxing if I had her help. Some of the stuff she does is bound to get us caught, Granny concludes.

"With your crafty plans and my love for revenge we can wipe out all the drunks in no time."

She's right, we could, but do I want to take a chance of getting caught over my greed? Granny thinks as she turns onto her road. She sees suspicious cars parked in front of Jackie's building as she gets closer. She presses on her brakes. The cops figured it out quicker than I thought. She studies the car again. That's them alright, so what am I going to do? She glances over at Jackie, whose still unaware they've stopped. I have two choices; I can drop her off here or keep driving, hope for the best. She pulls to the curb.

"What are you doing?" Jackie glances around, expecting to see a potential victim.

Granny starts to explain when another thought comes to mind. What if she says something that'll exonerate Matilda put me on their radar, but what would that be? She starts replaying their conversations in her head. I don't think I said anything pertaining to my own life, but I can't be completely sure. She'll get us caught if I keep her on. So do I take a chance of us getting caught or her blabbing to the police? I could just take care of her like I do my victims; make it look like a murder gone bad. Picturing the scenario in her head she smiles.

"Why did you pull over?" Jackie asks.

"Get down on the floorboard, now."

"Why?" she questions as she scrunches her large rounded body down as far as she can go.

"You'll have more room if you push the seat back."

Jackie does as she's told. "What's this all about?"

"You have two undercovers outside your door."

"Undercovers as in cops?"

"Yes, dear."

"What are we going to do?"  Jackie asks, nervously looking up at her partner.

"We need to get out of town as fast as we can."

Granny starts to drive away when she hears a whoop, whoop behind her. Please don't let them pull me over. She sees a police car pulling up alongside her when she glances in her mirror.
 ___ 
 

Characters
Granny, the killer, lives in assisted living after losing her family, being injured by a drunk driver. 
Matilda lives in assisted living. She just lost her grandson to a drunk driver.
Marge, Matilda's friend.
Liz and Lisa nurses at the facility.
Nancy, nursing assistant
Jackie waitress at the dinner, Granny's partner in crime.
Stinky, Rachel's pet skunk.

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Jeff, Detective
Kirk Forensic analysis
Sharon, Medical Examiner



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.