General Fiction posted July 2, 2018 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The preparation and flight to her parents.

A chapter in the book My Brothers' Keeper

The Trip to Howard's

by aryr

My Brothers' Keeper

PREVIOUSLY: Rachel is a forensic medical examiner, who after receiving disturbing news, decides she needs some alone time to think. So, she goes to a B&B in a large park, but gets lost, Gray the wolf finds her incapacitated and goes home to Daniel to get him to help her. Daniel is a Native American and a successful lawyer. She decides to stay with him in his modern cave rather than the B&B. Her family is aware and that she is safe. She confesses her medical history, and of the discovery of a chimera-her twin brother that her body had absorbed. Gray gets hurt but survives. They are now visiting her parents.........

NOW TO CONTINUE................................................



It was a quiet night for them, Gray chose to sleep at her feet. After their breakfast they both made the necessary calls, Rachel called her parents, Howard and even work for an update. Betty advised her of a few rather important changes. The biggest one was regarding funding and the forensic lab.

Apparently, there was a huge cut in the funding and as well, the city had decided to demolish the building and construct a parking tower. Parking had become a big problem and they only used two of the nine floors. They each had six months to rearrange their lives. The hospital had space available for a forensic laboratory, and the newbie and the other assistant had nabbed the positions available. Betty had thought about moving from the city, since she had no ties there other than work, but would decide later.

"I plan a side trip to my parents for a week before I return," said Rachel. We still have time you know. we can decide when I get back. How's that?"

Daniel's call went much better. Things were going well, business was steady. His administrative assistant, who was ironically named Bettie, managed everything beautifully. She was very organized, ran a tight ship and called him only if she had to. When he did call her, she had all reports available and advised him of concerns that she had handled. There was always an update on what each of the lawyers were involved with. The call ended with her reminder that he needed to return soon, because the children in the day care were missing Gray. He promised to be there in a little over a week.

They decided on a simple lunch of a toasted tomato sandwichs before packing for their trip. Daniel had some stew ingredients, so supper was all set.

Rachel decided not to burden him with what Betty had told her. Right now, her goal was enjoying the day, getting to talk to her parents, then her brothers a couple of days later.

The day passed swiftly and because the plan was to leave just after sunrise, they both agreed on an early night. Even after an hour of passionate fondling and love making, it was still an early night for sleeping.

They rose before dawn, showered and threw their toiletries into the bags, enjoyed a sound breakfast, cleaned up and secured the door, then walked to the plane. The bags were stored, and Gray was assisted to the backseat bench. He almost jumped in but then remembered his limp. The dressing was a fresh one and was therefore spotless. Daniel radioed his coordinates and flight plan. They had an hour and a half before touchdown at Howard's. Then they were up, up and away.

Lady Luck was with them because they were flying west, and the sunrise was behind them in the east. Rachel had made two thermoses of hot tea. She had grabbed a bag of cookies that Phyllis had given her and a bottle of water for Gray. It was a short trip, so sandwiches and fruit were not required.

She enjoyed the view and pointed out places of interest. Before long she spotted Howard's. It was rather easy because he had painted in large letters on both sides of the roof, 'HOWARD'S LANDING STRIP.' Daniel radioed in and circled for a landing. By the time they had landed and rolled toward the building, Howard was outside directing them.

When they stopped Rachel was the first to jump out to hug him. Daniel departed and was introduced. Gray had been well trained not to depart the plane until he was called. On command he jumped out and slowly walked to Howard.

"Well, I'll be damned, he is a big one, isn't he? Hi fella, I'm Howard and I am mighty proud to meet you." After a sniff at the extended hand, Gray rubbed his head and then his body against Howard.

"Bob is going to be mighty surprised when he sees Gray, I didn't say a word," he laughed, "Anytime you need a sitter, bring him out, we will get along just fine."

"Thank you for the offer, we do that at least once, so you'll have him as a conversation piece." Daniel laughed in return.

"Okay folks. Let's get you the loaner, I'll bring it to the plane, so you can unload, if I know Rachel, she's been shopping."

It only took minutes before the Jeep arrived and the unloading was accomplished. With Gray settled in the back seat, the couple climbed in.

"Say hi to Bob and Sue for me, enjoy your visit, and you come back to see me Gray." Gray offered up his version of a woof and a paw. They left with Howard waving them off.
"You turn right out of the airport, follow the road for about 45 minutes, you see the signs on the right, and just pull into the drive, it's a long one." Rachel smiled.

As they drove along the road, she pointed out different houses and explained who lived in each one. Apparently, she was kept in the loop when someone moved or sold for whatever reason. The first sign was at the corner of the white fence and announced 'Beautiful Attitudes' 2 miles up the road. The drive had a metal arch that read 'Smyth Ranch -- Beautiful Attitudes' and Daniel could see about three miles of white fencing past the drive. They drove through the white fenced corrals, which housed horses of various size on the left and large animals such as camels, bison and cows in smaller fenced areas.

By the time they reached the house, her parents were outside waiting. Once again, she was out of the vehicle before it stopped and drew them in for a group hug. Daniel stepped out and closed the door, waiting.

Rachel was finally done hugging and called for Daniel. He ambled around the front of the car with his hand extended. Suzette pulled him into a hug, while Robert patted his shoulder. Daniel turned slightly and whistled. Gray immediately jumped into the front seat and then bounded out Rachel's open door.

"Oh my, is that a wolf? It's not a big dog. Howard will surely get a piece of my mind." Bob exclaimed.

"Oh Dad, it was our fault, we told him not to tell you, just so we could see your face. You are priceless. And Mom, you can close your mouth. This was so worth it." Rachel giggled.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.