Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted July 1, 2018 Chapters:  ...179 180 -181- 182... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A poem

A chapter in the book A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities

The Other Side

by CD Richards


When we confine ourselves behind a wall
our life experience is drab and mean.
Consider all the wonders we can find
by taking in the vista transpontine.

A xenophobic outlook never has
enhanced the lives of those who are shut in.
It's time to set to work on spanning voids
and then both sides can take away a win.

 




This poem marks the half-way point in my project. Whether I make it to the other side remains to be seen. It's been an interesting journey, thanks to those who have shared it with me.


Image by neiljs (Soca valley, Slovenia, uploaded by Sporti) [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons.

Today's word: transpontine (adj.) located on the opposite side of a bridge.

My much-treasured Christmas present for 2017 is a book by Paul Anthony Jones: "The cabinet of linguistic curiosities". Each page contains a descriptive story about some obscure or archaic word. It occurred to me it would be a fun exercise to try and write, each day, a poem featuring the "word of the day" from the book.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.