General Fiction posted June 24, 2018 Chapters:  ...81 82 -83- 84... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana and Anderson talk.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Funfundzwanzig Part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Zachery stood. "Shana's told you everything she knows." He held out his hand for her. "I'll take you to your room."

They both stood, and the detective handed her an evidence bag. "I'll come with you. I'll need your clothes because there's blood on them."

Shana glanced over her clothes. "No! I didn't know. I never got close to Bezrukov."

"You hugged Drew. He had blood on him. It's transfer." Zachery placed his hand on the small of her back and led her to her room.

"But..."

"It's okay. Everything'll be all right."

Detective Rollins followed.

Shana went into the bathroom and closed the door.

The detective paced the floor. "How long does it take to remove clothes?"

"She's frightened. Give her time." Zachery stood off to the side.

Rollins glanced at his watch. "She's taking too long."

He moved toward the door, Zachery shoved him away, and stood eye to eye with the detective.. "I said give her time."

Rollins moved to the side. "You can't stop me."

Zachery shoved him again, almost knocking him down. "I just did." Again, their eyes met as Zachery said, "I said give the lady some privacy."

Susan and Michael rushed into the room.

"I heard noise. What's the problem?" Michael glared at the detective.

"He doesn't think Shana's moving fast enough so he attempted to enter." Zachery motioned to the bathroom door.

"I'll get the clothes." Susan knocked on the door. "Honey, can I come in?"

"Yes," whispered Shana. With Susan standing beside her, she continued scrubbing her hands and arms. "I can't get the blood off."

"I'll give Detective Rollins your clothes and come back to help. Okay?"

Shana nodded.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 25 part 3

Later that evening, Susan and Shana entered the living room. Michael glanced over his newspaper and said, "Dinner's ready. Are we ready to eat?"

"Thank you." Susan gave her husband a hug. "I think we're almost ready."

Shana scanned the room.

"I'll bet you're looking for Drew. He's on the front porch." Shana nodded and Michael continued, "He's probably waiting for you."

Shana sighed. She opened the front door and pointed to an empty rocking chair. "Is it okay if I sit here or would you rather be by yourself?"

Anderson grinned at her. "Have a seat."

"How's your arm?"

He held it up. "It's been better, but I'll live." He continued staring.

"Is there something out there you're watching?" Shana motioned to the horizon.

"Nope, just looking and thinking." Anderson continued peering at the horizon.

"Okay, I'll join you." After a few minutes of silence, Shana said, "It's peaceful around here."

"It is." Again, silence. "You're wondering what I'm doing, aren't you?" After she nodded, he said, "Why don't you just ask?"

"Besides staring and thinking, what are you doing?"

"I'm wondering if I made a mistake coming to Texas. I think maybe we should've remained at the penthouse."

"Why? I thought you said we'd be safer here."

"I thought so too, but we were attacked in Chicago and now here. I'm wondering if my dislike of New York City clouded my judgement."

"Jeff's head of your security, correct?" After he nodded, Shana continued, "I'm sure you've discussed this with him. What did he say?"

A slight grin crossed his lips, Anderson said, "You're good at this prying information thing. Who taught you?"

With cheeks tinged pink, Shana smiled. "Probably Grandma."

"Having met her and knowing my grandma, I believe it." Anderson paused. "To answer your question, Jeff said the penthouse is much safer, right now. The mistakes made in Chicago and here are because he needed additional men. So there are rookies on the team, who've been trained but not well enough to combat a man like Kuznetsov. His men are the top of the line. So...more trained men from the penthouse's security are coming here."

"What about Emily?"

"He'll leave a few there, but add enough here for help. Philip, by the way, is extremely well trained."

"He was in the Marines with you, right?"

Anderson nodded. "That's where I met him. He saved my butt a few times and I saved his. Jeff assures me once things are in place, everything will be completely secure."

Michael opened the door. "Ready to eat? Your grandpa is starting to pace."

Standing, Anderson took Shana's hand. "We're good." His eyes met hers. "Right?" She nodded and he said, "Later we need to discuss the bag Jeff brought with him."

Her eyes widened. "What bag?"

Anderson put his arm around her shoulders. "Don't play dumb. You know exactly what bag. The one containing the clothes I bought you in New York."

"I didn't know he brought it. Besides I couldn't accept them. I can't repay you. That's the reason I left them."

"I never expected you to repay me. They were a gift."

"But..."

He stopped and faced her. "I didn't expect to be repaid. I had no motive. I don't expect or want anything in return. Please just accept them with the intent I meant. Is that so hard?"

Shana swallowed and blinked a few times.

Anderson took her in his arms. "I'm sorry. I guess I'm more tired and stressed than I thought. I didn't mean to snap. Will you accept my apology?"

"Of course."

He hugged her and whispered in her ear, "Thank you."




Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend
Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter
Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.
Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.
Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.
Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator
Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father
Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother
Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting
Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria
Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.
Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother
Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father
Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother
Leon Sharp - - Anderson's grandfather
Grandma Sharp - - Anderson's grandmother
Detective Rollins - - Austin police detective



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of Texas sunset. I've made quite of few changes to my ending of my previous post. I had some reviewers make comments that Zachery would have been firmer with the detective. I hope I have now done that. One reviewer mentioned Zachery should have grabbed him by the throat. I think Zachery is too educated for primal behavior against the police. I also had a suggestion to single space my character list. I did that, too. Thank you for all the support you give my writing.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.