Humor Poetry posted June 19, 2018 Chapters:  ...168 169 -170- 171... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A limerick

A chapter in the book A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities

Lapse of judgement

by CD Richards

 
He motioned my car to a stop

and asked, "Sir, have you had a drop?"

"You fool, I don't drink!"

Now I'm in the clink—

don't ever insult an esclop.


 



Recognized


Image by Highway Patrol Images (HB 203 'STOP POLICE" signaling cars to pull in) [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons.

Today's word: esclop (n.) police officer.

This is from The Concise New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English:

esclop noun a police officer. However, the "c" is not pronounced, and the "e" is generally omitted, thus "slop". First noted by Henry Mayhew in London and the London Poor 1851. UK, 1851.

P.S. I'm aware that if you pronounce "esclop" as indicated in my previous note, then the meter is wrong. However, I'm thinking pretty much everyone will pronounce it as written, and I don't want to deal with complaints from people who didn't read the note ;-)

My much-treasured Christmas present for 2017 is a book by Paul Anthony Jones: "The cabinet of linguistic curiosities". Each page contains a descriptive story about some obscure or archaic word. It occurred to me it would be a fun exercise to try and write, each day, a poem featuring the "word of the day" from the book.

Thanks for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.