General Fiction posted June 5, 2018 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Enjoying a day in the village and with friends.

A chapter in the book My Brothers' Keeper

Another Trip to the Village

by aryr

My Brothers' Keeper

PREVIOUSLY: Rachel is a forensic medical examiner, who after receiving disturbing news, decides she needs some alone time to think. So, she goes to a B&B in a large park, but gets lost, Gray the wolf finds her incapacitated and goes home to Daniel to get him to help her. Daniel is a Native American and a successful lawyer. She decides to stay with him in his modern cave rather than the B&B. Her family is aware and that she is safe. She confesses her medical history, and of the discovery of a chimera-her twin brother that her body had absorbed. Gray gets hurt and requires surgery and survives. They are now back home at the cave. Decisions have to be talked about and made........
NOW TO CONTINUE................................................



The next day, they decided on a trip to the village. Rachel wanted to see if she could find a few more gifts, Daniel planned on talking to Todd, and Gray just planned on intimidating the tourists.

Everyone in town knew Gray, but it was interesting to watch the new people. The bandage did prove to be an attention collector from the regulars. Everyone wanted to know what had happened, they turned to Daniel, who explained. They then offered Gray condolences and treats. As soon as the visitors saw how approachable he was, they all wanted several pictures. He was the king of his world.

Rachel wandered off to the general store on her own, where she did find several gift items. Then to the bakery, which held its own delights. Pastries were purchased as well as a few loaves of bread. Then she discovered the jams, jellies and preserves. More gifts. She was having a great time. She had placed her multiple purchases in the back of her vehicle, then headed towards the B&B.

Gray spotted her and decided it was time for him to follow. He was running full speed until Rachel turned, then he pretended to trip before continuing with a limp. Several regulars laughed at his antics. He was that well known, but they did love him. His presence reduced other wolves, cougars, in fact any animal that may have attacked.

Rachel found Daniel talking with Todd, who smiled at her when she entered.

He held up one finger, turned his head away and hollered "Phyllis, Rachel is here, I'm sending her back." He pointed the way. "She's making bread or rolls, I am never sure, other than it sure does taste good."

"Rachel, honey just follow my voice, I'll keep talking." It was easy to find her. "There's both tea and coffee, help yourself. It is so great to see you, it feels like forever, but I know its only been a couple of days. Oh, and there's my boy. Did that nasty old trap hurt you. Bad trap."

Gray just lapped up the attention like a bowl of fresh milk. And of course, he had to limp over to her side.

"The vet and his assistant made an amusing observation. When he is around women he limps, but around the men, there is no limp. He is just a big baby. Aren't you our baby?" He whimpered as she scratched his chin. Before long both women were talking baby talk to him and he loved it.

"So how are things going with Daniel? Is he taking good care of you? Sometimes he can be as forgetful as Todd. Now Billy is just plain old shy, but Todd, he is forgetful."

"I would like to see something develop between Daniel and I, we talked and then decided to take a break from decisions for right now. He did offer some sound suggestions. He even agreed to meet my parents, actually fly me home. So, who knows where it will go."

"Well I would love to see him settle down. He is a good man and a darn smart one too. I have to admit, that I think you are rather special and I do think you are meant for each other. Okay, enough mushy talk. Gray, you want a cookie, only one, well one from me and one from Rachel."

Both women washed their hands after the cookie round and started kneading the dough. Phyllis usually made her bread, rolls and biscuits. She enjoyed her kitchen time since Todd stayed out of her way. He didn't mind the outdoor work or managing the desk, but he truly disliked anything to do with the kitchen and food. The two girls they had hired, managed the cleaning and laundry.

On days they both needed to be gone, Phyllis made the meals ahead, Billy stepped in to oversee the desk and reheat the meals. He also helped Todd with the maintenance work. There was a little cabin on the back part of the property, that had been updated, which he lived in. Phyllis and Todd had sort of adopted Billy. Because they both felt like they were on a permanent vacation, they rarely took extended times off.

"You and Daniel will stay for lunch, won't you? Its just soup and rolls today. I never have guests wanting lunch. Everyone wants breakfast and most appreciate supper. It's the same group that were here when you arrived. I think two new couples are coming in soon."

"That sounds great and I will accept for both Daniel and myself," she laughed, "my first official decision."

It was homemade tomato soup with a sprinkle of cheese and fresh rolls. Billy, Todd and Daniel all had second helpings. Phyllis was definitely a great cook.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.