Romance Fiction posted June 3, 2018 Chapters:  ...78 79 -80- 81... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What could go wrong now?

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Vierundzwanzig Part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As Anderson finished his sentence, Jeff walked into the dining room. "Howdy. I hope you saved something for me."

Susan pointed to an empty chair. "Of course, you know there's always plenty."

Anderson's eyes widened. "How'd you get here? The jet's still waiting for a call."

"Kuznetsov's men were watching so I snuck away in a taxi, and then took a commercial flight, and another taxi. Nobody expected that. Rich people and their friends don't fly commercial or use taxis. They use car services and private jets." Jeff paused and studied Shana. "Little lady, what's on your mind?"

"She thinks she wants to confront Kuznetsov by herself," blurted Zachery.

After studying Anderson's face and thinking about it, Jeff stated, "That's one way to handle it." He paused. "Drew, do you still want me to check that property?"

"Will you be able to help me set up this meeting?" asked Shana.

"I'll help anyway I can." Jeff took a drink. "Just let me know how soon you want to meet."

"As soon as possible. This man is trying to hurt everybody I care about." Shana brushed a hair from her cheek.

"As soon as we finish, Drew and I'll check out the property, and then we can sit down and discuss that meeting. How's that sound?"

Anderson nodded. "Sounds good to me."

"Thank you." Shana took her first bite of lunch.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 24 part 3

Susan stood. "Shana, after you finish eating, do you mind helping me in the kitchen? The men folk are going back to Wild Road, and there's a lot to be done before dinner tonight."

"I'd be glad to." Shana picked up her plate and followed Susan into the kitchen.

*****
It wasn't long before the four men got into an extended cab Dodge Ram pick-up and headed toward the property.

"Drew, what's this nonsense Shana has about meeting with Kuznetsov?" asked Jeff.

"She hopes she'll convince him that she isn't interested in the painting and the whole thing needs to be dropped," said Anderson. "Thank you for playing along."

"I got your cue."

"You need to order her not to," said Zachery.

"You have a lot to learn about women." Michael grinned. "Your brother handled it right. If he'd have said no, she would've done it anyway and probably would've gotten herself killed in the process. This way we have control over the situation." He paused. "The property is about a mile on your right."

"She's a quiet little thing. She would've accepted it." Zachery shook his head.

"Her best friend's husband told me that Shana has a major stubborn streak. I saw a hint of it at her parents' house." Anderson checked his phone. "It's Philip. I'll call him back later. Shana sees her entire family and friends being threatened because of her actions. She won't sit by and let that happen."

"That I can understand." Jeff checked his phone. "You'd better call Philip. He's calling me now."

"I will once we get to the house. I'll have a better connection than driving down the road."

*****
Michael and Zachery led Jeff inside the house while Anderson stood on the front porch and called Philip.

After Anderson listened, he said, "When the electricity cut off did the auxiliary generators kick in?" He listened again. "So all the doors remained secure?" He released a deep breath. "Good. I'm moving you guys out here as soon as possible. Jeff's checking the house, and I'll add whatever is necessary. Go ahead and put the penthouse up for sale. When I come to the city, I'll stay in a hotel. I don't plan on being there often."

When Anderson entered the house, the three men stared at him. "Kuznetsov's men attempted an attack on the penthouse. All security measures worked perfectly. Emily didn't know anything was going on."

"I wouldn't tell Shana." Zachery shoved his hands into his jean's pockets.

"I'm not going to get into the habit of hiding things from her." Anderson walked by his brother. "Jeff, make a list of everything you'll need."

"So you're going to turn this place into Fort Knox?" asked Zachery.

"I plan on it being stronger than Knox." Jeff chuckled. "Kuznetsov doesn't play around. His men are well trained and rarely make mistakes. If they do, it'd cost them their lives."

After completing the house tour, the men went back to the pick-up as Jeff asked, "Did you say sixty-eight acres, and it's all gated?"

"That's right. I know it'll take a lot of men, but I'm thinking we can hot-wire the fence somehow and add some dogs for additional security." Anderson's eyes met his friend's. "This is your expertise. What do you think?"

*****
After the men returned, Jeff walked up to Shana. "Ready to talk?"

She shook her head. "Yes, but we'd better not. It would be rude to leave as everybody's finishing tonight's preparations, wouldn't it?"

"I'm probably not the right person to ask that question to." Jeff grinned. "Social niceties aren't one of my better qualities."

Shana smiled. "I think you're very nice."

He reached around and hugged her. "You're probably the only person."

Zachery came by and punched Jeff's shoulder. "Quit hitting on my brother's gal." He laughed.

"I'm not your brother's gal." Shana frowned.

"Wanna bet?" Zachery continued walking.

Anderson walked up. "Shana, what does that expression mean?"

"She just encountered teasing from Zack." Jeff grinned.

"That's all that needs to be said." Anderson gave Shana a quick hug. "Take him as seriously as you would a grain of salt."

"But there's always an element of truth in what I say," yelled Zachery from another room. "Jeff was hitting on your gal, and I stopped him."

Anderson shook his head. "Remember the grain of salt? Ignore him."

"I'm trying to." Shana paused. "Did you settle anything with the house?"

Jeff and Anderson glanced at each other, before Anderson answered, "We did. Jeff has some security improvements to put into place before we move in. It'll take at least a week. Until then, we can stay here. Once we're settled, I'll have Emily and everyone join us." He paused to choose his words carefully. "Are you moving with us?"

"If my talk with Mr. Kuznetsov goes well, I should be able to go back to Peoria."

"I guess that's true." Anderson glanced at Jeff. "Just in case Kuznetsov isn't reasonable, get started on the security upgrades."

With a nod, Jeff grinned. "I figured as much."

Anderson took Shana's hand. "It's time to meet my grandparents." He stopped and teased, "I should ask, are you up for this? Grandpa's an ornery old fart. Grandma..." he shook his head, "never mind. I've met yours, you'll understand."

"Are you saying they're opinionated?" Shana laughed.

"You got that right. I think you'll get along fine."

After introductions were made, everybody settled in comfortable seating and began visiting.

Michael entered and announced, "Dinner will be ready in about forty-five minutes."

Leon stood. "I'd better check this myself. You don't always get the brisket done. It's often raw."

"Dad, just sit. I'll get it done." Michael motioned his father to sit.

"Nope, I'm checking on dinner." Leon continued to the patio grill, muttering under his breath.

Anderson grinned at Shana. "I warned you. My family's far from normal."

"They seem normal to me." Shana watched Michael and Leon's animated discussion around the grill. She checked her ringing cell. "Excuse me. It's Hannah." After Anderson nodded, she went to her room to take the call.

*****
About forty-five minutes later, Shana returned and scanned the room for Anderson.

Sarah smiled. "He's in the outside canning kitchen getting extra ice. Is everything all right with your friend?"

"Yes, Sarah's showed a little improvement and Hannah wanted to thank Drew."

Susan used gestures as she spoke, "Go through the kitchen, past the patio, and it's the building on your right."

Shana nodded and left. As she stood on the patio, she noticed two male forms in the building. She stopped and studied the scene. I wonder who's with Drew. He's holding something in his hand, but what? They're talking, but I can't make it out. It looks like Drew's hurt. This can't be good.







Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria

Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.

Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother

Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father

Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a Ram pick-up. Again, this post is longer than my usual posts. I hope you don't mind. Thank you for all the support you give my writing.
School is out for the summer. I hope to spend more time on my writing. I have a few school related projects that have to be completed in June, but hopefully they don't consume all my time.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.