Essay Non-Fiction posted June 4, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A weekly newsletter from the West Tennessee Blues Society.

Welcome To The Blues-Line Part~8

by papa55mike


It's time for another edition of the Blues-Line, I'm so glad you stopped by. Our featured artist today is one of "The Tennessee Three," James "Yank" Rachell. A wonderful musician who played the guitar, mandolin, violin, harmonica, and what a terrific voice. That's talented!

"Yank" was born sometime in 1910 (or maybe 1903, there's some dispute about that) near Brownsville, Tennessee to a family of sharecroppers. He mostly taught himself how to play music, it started when "Yank" picked up a mandolin at the age of eight. At an early age, he was influenced by "Hambone" Willie Newbern, another Blues musician from Brownsville.

It's amazing the thread of talented people that are woven into the tapestry we call the Blues. The deep traditions of the Blues are handed down to a younger generation assigned to keep that tradition alive. These songs and people have provided the soundtrack to our Nation's history, especially in the South. It existed long before the Civil War.

In "Yank's" teens, he started playing with "Sleepy" John Estes at picnics and parties. "Jab" Jones joined the pair to form "The Three J's" jug-band. They were an immediate success during the jug-band era in Memphis. That lasted until the depression hit. "Sleepy" John went to Chicago to play music, but "Yank" chose to stay home and teamed with a young harmonica player by the name of "Sonny Boy" Williamson. They began to play all over Jackson, Tennessee and surrounding areas. When "Sonny Boy" moved to Chicago, he talked "Yank" into coming with him. They recorded together several times in the early 1940's. It was said that "Sonny Boy" always sounded better when "Yank" recorded with him. Funny thing, "Yank" never trusted the unpredictable lifestyle of a Blues musician. He always kept another job, outside the music industry. "Yank" was either farming or working on the L&N Railroad.

When "Sonny Boy" was murdered in 1948, "Yank" gave up touring for a while and settled in Indianapolis. After his wife passed away and the Blues revival started in the early 1960's, he rejoined "Sleepy" John and began to tour the South, playing colleges and folk festivals. They both began recording again for Delmark Records. In 1977, "Sleepy" John passed away, but "Yank" continued on with his solo career. He became a long-time regular at the legendary "Slippery Noodle" Club in Indianapolis until his death in 1997 at the age of 87. What a rich, amazing life!


 




This finishes a project that I'm doing for the Blues Society. I'm developing a program to put in our schools and showcase the wonderful Blues artists that came from West Tennessee. One day I asked many of my 4th-grade friends if they have heard of the Blues, two out of ten had, but only one could name me a Blues artist. We have to fix that!

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.