Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 24, 2018 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Granny tries to talk her way out of trouble.

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Stretching the Truth

by Mistydawn



 Summary
Matilda just lost her Grandson to a drunk driver.
Granny is getting ready to kill her fourth victim when a group of people stumbles out of the bar. She flees, leaving one victim alive. She tries to stop a drunk in the park. A cop sees what she's doing and arrests her. The investigation is quickly going cold for the Berryville detectives.

___

Granny is terrified in the back of a police car, unsure of what'll happen next. Her hands are cuffed so tightly in front of her; they're pinching her frail skin. Tears stream down her wrinkled face as she relives the horrid events. Why didn't he just leave me alone, why? All I wanted to do was have a peaceful day feeding the ducks and he had to go and spoil it for me. Oh, why didn't I just walk away, why? I should've known better than to beat him in broad daylight. Now, because of my lapse in judgment, I may have to spend the rest of my life in jail. Oh, what was I thinking, what? She sobs. She looks up to see two officers talking to her victim in front of the car. A male officer glares at her and then turns away. I bet he's feeding them a bunch of hogwash to make himself look better. Well, I'll have my own story to tell. Yeah, that's what I'll do, I'll give them the most heartbreaking version I can think of. The car door opens; Granny looks over to see a female officer beside her. It’s just who I was hoping for. She wipes her face on her sleeve.

"I've heard his side of the story, now I want to hear yours," the cop says as she takes a notebook from her pocket.

Sniffling, Granny begins. "He asks me for some money. I told him I didn't have any, which I really don't otherwise I would've given it to him. I'm a Christian lady, who helps others when she can; it's what God would want me to do." She looks towards the sky.

The officer glances up from her paper. "What happened next?"

"I mentioned several places where he could go for help to get food, shelter, basic necessities. He became belligerent said all he needed was money for booze. I said I couldn't help him and tried to walk away. He said I better give him some money or else. This terrified me to no end. I'm still shaken up, see." Granny lifts her trembling hands away from her body.

The officer looks up again. "So what happened next?"

"I scream for help. He yells at me, tells me to shut my mouth. I keep screaming, hoping he'll get scared and leave. He throws down his bottle and charges towards me." She starts to cry. "I didn't want to hurt him, honest. All I could think about is how my dear sweet friend was beaten and raped last week."

"What did you do?"

She takes a deep breath before she continues. "I jab him in his privates which knocks him to the ground. He grabs my leg and tries to pull me down. She bawls.

"Take your time."

"I'm usually not such a crybaby but this has been so traumatic." She wipes her face on her sleeve then continues. "All I wanted to do was feed the ducks, that's it." She glances towards the pond. "Oh, why couldn't he just leave me alone, why?" She starts to bawl again. "Please, officer, please, you have to believe me. I didn't want to hurt him, but I didn't know what else to do."  Sniffling she continues. "Please tell him God loves him and that I'll pray that he finds the help he needs." 

The officer gulps back a tear. "I'll see what my partner wants to do." She composes herself as she closes the door.

That went better than I expected. Granny watches the two officers exchange heated words. She then sees a third officer point towards a lamp post. What's he pointing at? She sees a camera midway up the wood. Good thing I didn't elaborate too much. Her door opens again.

"The surveillance tape corroborates what you just told me," the female officer states.

"So I'm free to go?"

"Yes, ma'am." She reaches for Granny's cuffs.

"What's going to happen to him?"

"He's headed to the station." She looks up to see her coworker running towards her.

 "Stop, don't release her yet; the captain wants to talk to her."

Granny doubles over in pain. "Nitro, I need my Nitro, they’re in my side pocket," she gasps.

The officer reaches in and pulls out a small brown bottle. "These?"

"Put one under my tongue."

The officer does as she's told. "Better?"

"No, that's worse, much worse. My heart, it can't take all this..." Granny falls sideways in the seat.

***

Walking into the ICU waiting room, Marge pauses at the door. This brings back a lot of bad memories. She recalls all the time her late husband spent in here. I hope George doesn't die on me too. It's different this time, much different. Taking a breath, she walks to their phone. "Yes, I'm here to see George Patrick... Is he alright? I don't understand... I'll wait for you by the door."

A few seconds later, she sees a nurse walk into the lobby. Marge darts towards her. "I'm the one asking about George Patrick."

The nurse takes Marg's cold, bony hands in hers. "I'm afraid Mr. Patrick didn't make it, ma'am."

Marge glances solemnly towards the floor; a tear slips down her cheek.

"Are you a relative?"

"No, I'm just a good friend, we go to church together."

"Do you know how we can reach his family?"

"He doesn't have anyone; it's their loss that caused him to drink. My friend and I were trying to help him get through it, but I guess we failed." She sniffles.

"Your friend said the same thing, but you two have to understand what happened to him isn't your fault. That unless he wants to change, there's nothing you can do to help him."

"I've been told that before. Wait, did you just say my friend was here?"

"Yes, she came in earlier." 

I wonder why Matelda didn't mention her visit to me.

"I'm truly sorry for your loss."

"Thank you, Hon." Marge slowly walks out the door. 

***

Seeing his detectives working at their desk, Joe walks toward them. "So how's it going, guys?"

"Not well, I'm afraid, boss. George died a couple of hours ago and that's just the beginning of our problems." Frustrated, Jerry tosses his glasses on his desk.

"Did he say anything about his attack?"

"No, sir, the nurse said she tried to ask him about it, but all he kept saying is Granny."

"It's highly unlikely that our killer is a grandma; considering how many times our victims were beaten."

"I bet he saw his Granny on the other side," Rachel says.

"Maybe, what about our suspects?"

Jeff glances up from his desk. "They all have airtight alibis for the time of the murder."

"How about the victim's exes?"

"Two of them have alibis and the third is out of the country. He has been since their divorce."

"He didn't make a quick trip back to the states?"

"Not that I can find, sir. I did get a list of possible suspects from their exes." Lifting up a piece of paper he continues. "I'm going through them now."

"What about their finances?" 

"I didn't find any red flags, boss and I'm almost finished with their histories. As far as I can tell they're just three working-class citizens struggling to get by."

Joe scratches his head. "Are there any connections?"

"The only common ground I've found so far is that they've all worked at Tysons, but most of Berryville's residents have."

Joe laughs. "You’re probably right about that. Is there any forensics?"

"It's all in this box." Jerry smiles as he taps on the small wooden container.

Why would Sharon put it in there? A snake pops out the moment Joe opens the crate. Screaming, he flings the lid across the room: it smacks an officer in the head.

The officer springs from his seat. He loses his footing and falls back in his chair. His butt catches the edge. He plops to the floor; his chair flies across the room.

"Two for the price of one." Jerry laughs.

"Oh, you'll get yours, Jerry; you can count on that, right Steve?"

"Damn skippy he will." He glares at Jerry as he gets off the floor.

Their captain walks out of his office. "What's going on out here and why is my rubber snake on the floor?"

"Jerry is up to his old pranks again, sir." Joe picks up the toy and hands it to him.

"Didn't you learn your lesson the last time, Jerry?"

"Joe won't get the best of me again.." 

"We'll just see about that." Joe smiles. 

"Leave me out of it this time."

"Yes, Captain," they say in unison. An ornery smile creeps across their faces as the two mischievous fellows glance towards Rachel. 

Characters
Granny, the killer lives in assisted living. She lost her son, daughter in law to a drunk driver. Being severely injured, she's there for the additional rehab.
Matilda lives in assisted living. She just lost her grandson to a drunk driver.
Marge, Matilda's good friend
Liz and Lisa nurses at the facility.
Nancy, nursing assistant

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Jeff, Detective
Kirk Forensic analysis
Sharon, Medical Examiner



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.