Supernatural Fiction posted May 21, 2018 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sins of Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book Sins of Chaos

Sebastian's Curse/Part Two

by scongrove


Previously...

After Sebastian refused to hand over his son to Lucifer, he becomes trapped in a state of unconsciousness and forced to face the forgotten trauma of his childhood. But before Lucifer unleashes his wraith, he rips into Sebastian’s throat as Eve watches helplessly.


Meanwhile, the guard calls for help and Sebastian is taken from the mental institute and transferred to a nearby hospital.

Continued...

After the paramedics had wheeled Sebastian through the entrance to the Bates hospital’s ER with the guard right on their heels, time became as a rubber band, stretching endlessly, the passing minutes slowing down to a crawl as a female nurse rushed over to assist. As they rolled him inside, blood started seeping through layers of gauze on Sebastian’s neck.  

Dr. Helen Carrington was right with them and said, “What’s the patient's status?”

"A severe laceration to the neck, and he’s unconscious,” barked one of the paramedics.

“What happened?” Helen queried.

The guard glanced over at Helen and shook his head. “I was on guard the whole time,” he paused and swallowed the knot in his throat, “at the Napa State Mental Hospital. After the staff’s nurse gave him a sedative and left, I swear, no one entered his room.” 

“Let’s get him down to surgery,” Helen demanded. “Page Dr. Eaves,” she said to the nurse. 

Two minutes later, the medics pushed the gurney through a set of double doors that led to the operating room. Before they exited the room, they transferred Sebastian from the gurney to an operating table. 

Dr. Carl Eaves—the hospital’s chief of trauma division—came in behind them and said, “What do we have?”

The nurse placing pressure on Sebastian’s wound said, “A severe neck injury, BP is sixty over forty and dropping. Heart rate is in the one-fifties.”

“What’s the patient’s name?” Dr. Eaves queried.

“Sebastian Crow,” the guard replied.

Shit, Helen thought. And then she looked at Dr. Eaves, her eyes wide. “We need to notify Tim Ross. Under the Covenant’s orders, Sebastian’s punishment is a life sentence confined to the Institute.”

“I’ll contact the Covenant,” the guard spoke out.

Helen nodded at him and shifted her gaze toward Dr. Eaves. “Okay, let’s get his wound closed.”   
   
****

In a state of his deep unconsciousness, the memory of Sebastian’s childhood was like a loaded gun to his head. And then Lucifer appeared in his mind, standing before him, in the form of his dead brother, Thomas.

Lucifer smirked.  “Are you ready, Sebastian?” he asked, crossing his arms. “It’s time to visit mummy and dear ol’ step-daddy.”  

Sebastian shook his head, his eyes wild with panic. “Please, don’t do this.”

There had been a beat of silence; then Sebastian was standing outside an iron gate, looking beyond at the estate from his childhood memories. Built in the nineteenth century—influenced by ancient Rome—the Romanesque architecture was constructed of rusticated, square stones with rounded towers and cone-shaped roofs. The Medieval details such as the stained glass eerily reminded him of Dracula’s castle.

Sebastian oddly felt like the Charles Dickens character, Ebenezer Scrooge. Except it hadn’t been the Ghost of Christmas Past to visit him. It was Lucifer himself. And he was taking him back to relive the torture of his childhood past. 

“When you were growing up, your step-father despised the day you were born,” Lucifer said, his voice cold and calculating. “Your mother’s infidelity brought shame into his household, especially when she got knocked up with you and your twin brother, Thomas.”

“Please,” Sebastian pleaded. “I can’t bear this.”

Narrowing his eyes, Lucifer muttered, “So weak.” He slowly shook his head, looking at Sebastian with disgust. “Ready to give up?”

“No,” Sebastian said through gritted teeth. “I’ll never give you my son.” He squeezed his eyes shut, covered his ears with his hands and pressed so hard his arms shook. “Get out of my head!”  
 
“You can’t get rid of me or your past,” Lucifer murmured. “I’ll be with you always, reawakening the curse that is upon you... unless you give me what I want.”  

The instant Sebastian lowered his hands and opened his eyes; he was standing inside the estate’s foyer. Pictures littered the walls and occupied every available space on shelves, end tables and over the fireplace mantel. The photographs didn’t include him. It made his chest ache to see all the photos of his half-sister and half-brother. To be included as part of the family was everything he’d ever wanted and never had.

The smell of wood burning in the fireplace instantly curled up into his nose. And the stench of his step-father’s cologne made his gut churn.  
 
“How ‘bout a nice family reunion,” Lucifer said mockingly, his voice sending chills up Sebastian’s spine.

Sebastian flinched when distant voices from his past drifted over from the dining room. He took a deep breath and tried to convince himself to step forward. The memory of walking into that dining room brought back his haunted childhood. As Sebastian moved forward and rounded a corner, he froze in his tracks. His step-father, William Edward Montgomery the III was in his seat at the head of the table. His mother Sibyl was sitting at the far end, her head down as if she was afraid to look up. As Sebastian listened to his step-father’s seething voice, his reaction was instantaneous. Dread clutched him by the throat and wouldn’t let go. When his mouth opened and he let out a deep breath, Sebastian’s panic level reached epic proportions, worried his step-father would hear him. But no one in the room even registered his presence. Sebastian was invisible to everyone around him.

“How could you do this to me, Sibyl?” William asked, staring across the table at his wife with a murderous glare. “You’re nothing but a whore! How dare you bring shame into this household!”

“I’m sorry,” Sibyl said, lifting her head. “Please...” she pleaded in a tear-laced voice, “forgive me, William.”

“Forgive you?” he barked. “For God’s sake, you’ve done nothing but lie after all these years. A complete lie! How long have you been carrying on with this... Alexander? And our children,” he continued to rant. “How could you do this to our children? You’ve brought nothing but humiliation to my name!”

Though Sibyl’s sobs had quieted, her body still shook, and she could feel the dampness on her cheeks where her tears had left trails down her face. “I swear to you, William,” she said shaking her head, “I wouldn’t purposely hurt you or our children for the world. I made a mistake. I beg you... please forgive me for this.”

“Your sister is never to step foot in this house with the other child,” William said roughly. “And I don’t want the child I’m allowing to stay here to have any interactions with our daughter Camille or our son, Edward. He is to be kept hidden in the guest house with the hired help. You are not allowed to show him any motherly affection. Our maid Eliza will tend to the child’s needs.”

As more tears slid down Sibyl’s cheeks, her bottom lip quivered, and she nodded in silence. She couldn’t argue a single point with William because he was exactly right, and her guilt intensified. She’d betrayed her husband in weakness with a man who she’d met briefly. When William discovered her affair before the twins were born, he’d forced Sibyl to take a paternity test. After it had proved he wasn’t the father, William threatened Sibyl with divorce if she didn’t get rid of the two bastards. Conceived by an act of sin, the twin boys were born of innocence, but Sibyl loathed the day they took their first breath. After begging her sister, who lived in England, to care for the twins, she only agreed to take in one. And now the other child’s fate was left in Williams’ hands.

“Those bastards will not carry my family’s name,” William said through gritted teeth. “They will take your maiden name. Do I make myself clear?”

Sibyl quickly nodded. “Yes, William.”

“I—”

Whatever William was about to say was cut off when the maid Eliza stepped into the room and said, “Excuse me, Sir.” She bowed her head in a gesture of respect. “I don’t mean to intrude.” And then her weary gaze met Sibyl’s. “Ma’am, the babe...” she paused and lowered her eyes, “he’s running a fever.”

Sebastian froze when he saw Eliza. He nearly lost his footing and fell to the floor. Swallowing the thick knot in his throat, he couldn’t take his eyes off her. Who was she? As he stared at her, the beautiful, dark-skinned woman somehow created a painful ache in the center of his chest. Her ebony, long hair was swept atop her head and neatly braided into a bun. She looked as if she was in her mid-forties.  
  
“Mrs. Montgomery will not be caring for the bastard child,” William interjected. “Eliza, you will tend to his needs from here on. I do not want the child brought into the main household. He is never to be around my children. You are to care for him in your quarters. I will fund all his basic needs. If that’s going to be a problem, you can look for employment elsewhere. Furthermore, you and your daughter Anna will have to find other accommodations. You will no longer be allowed to reside here.”

Eliza’s eyes widened as she looked up. Her irises sparkled when they caught the light. The color was a pale golden with a warm, subtle orange tinge. “No, Sir.” She bowed her head again. “I will tend to the babe.”

When Eliza quietly ducked out of the room, she bit back a curse. How could anyone be so cruel to an innocent child? She thought to herself. The babe would carry the burden of Mrs. Montgomery’s sins.  

Sebastian glanced over his shoulder and glared at Lucifer. Then, he walked past the dining room and followed Eliza to the kitchen. With every step and every breath, Sebastian had to force himself to go forward, his instincts screaming to turn and run away.

As Eliza made her way silently past the massive kitchen hearth and all the expensive cookware that hung from hooks above a quartzite breakfast bar, it was very clear Mrs. Montgomery valued wealth. There was no telling how much money they spent on the estate over time. To Eliza, the Montgomerys were spoiled and wasteful... a shame to the Breedline species.

Leading down a long hallway from the kitchen, she came to an oak door—which, considering its size and weight, was more of a movable wall. After Eliza went inside, she could hear the sickly child crying a short distance away.

“Mama... is that you?”

As Eliza came into the small living quarters where Mr. Montgomery allowed her and her daughter Anna to live in, she called out, “Yes, sweetheart. It’s just me.”

“Mama, the babe hasn’t stopped crying since you left,” Anna said, rocking the tiny infant in her arms, trying to soothe him. “He still has the fever.”

When Eliza reached for the baby, Anna gently placed him in her mother’s arms.

“Shhh, little one,” Eliza said, her voice gentle and soothing. “Everything is going to be just fine. I’ve got something to take away your fever, sweet child.”

As Sebastian stood close behind, his heart sank watching Eliza soothe the baby in her arms. Then he looked away from Eliza and shifted his gaze toward Anna. The young girl couldn’t have been any older than eight or nine. She had long, curly honey blond hair, sun-kissed skin; a lot lighter than Eliza’s, with freckles covering her cheeks. Her eyes were familiar. They were the most mesmerizing color of bright green, surrounded by dark, thick eyelashes. But Sebastian couldn’t remember why the little girl looked so familiar, and why Eliza caused such a painful ache in his chest. Why can’t I remember? The feeling was almost too unbearable.   
         
Anna peered up at her mother, her eyes filled with worry. “Is Mrs. Montgomery going to take the babe?”

Eliza looked at Anna regretfully and shook her head. “No, sweetheart. We’re to care for the babe from now on.”

Anna’s brows clenched. “But... why Mama? Why doesn’t Mrs. Montgomery want her babe? Is something wrong with him?”

Eliza smiled. “No, Anna. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him,” she said, lowering her gaze from Anna to the infant cuddled in her arms. “You are perfect, little one,” Eliza murmured, stroking her hand over the baby’s dark curls. “You are worthy,” she whispered, and added, “and you are good.”

At that moment, the baby quieted and focused his bright eyes on Eliza’s soft voice.

With a gentle caress, Anna reached over and smoothed her hand over the baby’s hair. “Is he going to be my little brother now?” she asked, her voice anticipating her mother’s answer, hoping she would say yes.  

Eliza’s expression softened even more as she gazed into her daughter’s eyes. She reminded Eliza so much of her late husband, Abraham. He’d gotten ill when Anna was just two years old. Although Abraham carried the genetics of a Breedline, he did not shift into a wolf. Only identical twins were born with the gift. When he took Eliza for his bride, she was allowed access to their world even though she was human. Abraham was a good man with a loving heart, and Anna was the spitting image of her father. The child was born pure of heart, not an evil bone in her body.

“Yes, darling,” Eliza said. “We will love him as our very own.”

Anna leaned down and pressed a soft kiss on the baby’s forehead. “I love you, Sebastian,” she whispered.

Sebastian stiffened when he heard the little girl speak the baby’s name.  And then it hit him all at once. The tiny infant was... him.    
  
To be continued...            
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species must be kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth, are born with telepathic abilities, and have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong, that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don't have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEENS RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back human and cast out as a rogue wolf.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change human again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - When the full moon passes through the amber shadow of the earth, producing a midnight eclipse visible across North America. So begins a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six-month intervals. This incredible light beams into the heart of earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb. During this time, all Breedline species that are mated have a strong desire to create an offspring. This is also a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

SUCCUBUS (a.k.a CREEPERS) - Creatures that search for, and feeds off the blood of the Breedline species. Creepers are skilled at extreme sexual pleasure, and the ecstasy they create is exceedingly intense and highly addictive. They cast off a scent that hypnotizes Breedlines into overwhelming sexual urges. They use their human-like bodies and beautiful features to control and influence their thoughts.
They have the ability to reach into the Breedline's mind during sleep, casting a spell of dreams about sexual contact, or intercourse. And one much less obvious manifestation of Creepers is nightmares - realistic, graphic, terrifying nightmares that rob the Breedline of sleep. Over a period, it can lead to severe fatigue and depression, leaving them emotionally and spiritually drained. Death can occur if they ultimately take over the Breedline's body.

HALF-BREED - This species is born with the genes from both Breedline and succubus. They can bond with either a full-blood Breedline or another half-breed. They cannot change into the Breedline wolf, but they do need blood from them to survive. With the power to hypnotize, most Breedlines have minimal respect and credence toward the half-breed species.

WICCA (or Wise One) - According to the Breedline species, a Wicca is the goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts, and necromancy. A Wicca is also considered to be a demonic spirit. It is unclear to the Breedline if they act under the orders of the devil, or they are simply not understood and treated as outcasts. They can do white magic (good) or dark (evil).

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, three times the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two-shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them. And an Adalwolf is immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

LUPA - The ancestors descended from the old legend of the lycanthrope, except the moon has no power over them and it cannot be passed on to others like a virus. It is passed on through genetics to the female offspring, known as a she-wolf. This type of creature shape-shifts into a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature, and is considered dangerous... cursed.

EVE - She is a half-breed and Sebastian's bonded mate. Growing up in human foster care, she spent her entire childhood abused until Sebastian saves her. Scorned from her past, she lashes out in anger, living a life of crime later to discover her twin sister, Mia Blackwood. After realizing the Chiang-Shih demon possesses Sebastian, Eve clings to the past in hopes of reuniting with her beloved. Now that Sebastian is finally free of the demon, she has trust issues, worried he has an alternative plan for their sons.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed, and Eve's bonded mate. After he had been killed by Jace in self- defense, he was possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon after the Angel of Mercy cast him out of Alexander's body. As he tried to portray Sebastian's life, Eve finally figured out his secret. Keeping her captive only to survive on her blood, he later develops feelings for her. The demon creates a death army, determined to dominate the world and unleash his wrath among humans and the Breedline. Now free from the demon, he is determined to reunite with his beloved Eve who is kept prisoner by the Breedline Covenant awaiting trial for her past crimes against them.

Arius and Tidus - Sebastian and Eve's twin boys. Both have inherited their parent's genetics of a half-breed. But Arius carries the mark of the Chiang-Shih demon with the power to create a portal and the ability to heal others.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and head council of the California Covenant. Angel, his bonded mate - who is a half-breed - has Tim's daughter they named Natalie, after her sister.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates hospital for both Breedlines and humans. Later, she discovers Jace and Jem carry a gene, possibly used for a cure to stop the aging process in her species. After Alexander's demon is banished, he is pardoned for all past crimes and welcomed into the Breedline Covenant. When he meets Helen, they become bonded mates.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.