General Fiction posted May 21, 2018 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A time to talk and then to think.

A chapter in the book My Brothers' Keeper

Pondering

by aryr

PREVIOUSLY: Rachel is a forensic medical examiner, who after receiving disturbing news, decides she needs some alone time to think. So, she goes to a B&B in a large park, but gets lost, Gray the wolf finds her incapacitated and goes home to Daniel to get him to help her. Daniel is a Native American and a successful lawyer. She decides to stay with him in his modern cave rather than the B&B. Her family is aware and that she is safe. She confesses her medical history, and of the discovery of a chimera-her twin brother that her body had absorbed. Gray gets hurt and requires surgery and survives. They are now back home at the cave.
NOW TO CONTINUE................................................


While Rachel prepared the potatoes and carrots for cooking shish-kabob style on the grill, Daniel spiced the pheasant. The small steak for Gray was set aside so it could be quickly seared when supper was ready. The water had boiled, the tea made, so they sat at the table. Both sensed the need to talk. Things had indeed moved rather rapidly. The future lay ahead of them. They had to discuss that future.

They sat across from each other with their tea. The veggies were cooking on a low heat section, while the pheasant was grilling. They had a few minutes before the meal would be ready.

"So, where do we go from here?" She asked, almost afraid to look into his eyes.

"I think, I can only ask, where do you want us to go?" He reached forward to caress her fingers.

"I like you a lot, I like being here and I do so love that silly wolf. But we can't just pretend that we don't have lives to get back to, because we do. I would love to do just that, but we can't."

"Okay, I understand, but do you want us to continue being an us or do we simply acknowledge that we had a great time and when it is over, it becomes over."

"Is there any way we can make this work? We don't even live in the same country."

"We can find a way to make it work if we want it to. Let's eat and then talk some more. I have some ideas, but I would rather us eat first." He smiled.

Dinner was a quiet event. Poor Gray forgot all about his leg, which was tucked under him as he gnawed at the steak and the bone protruding from it. When he was finished he went towards his door and Daniel reminded him to go out for business and then back in. That reminder brought back his limp and they laughed at his antics.

They worked together at the task of cleaning up the dishes. Two glasses of wine were poured, and they settled in front of the firepit.

"Well, I have the freedom of living in either Canada or the United States, although I do have passports for both sides of the border. (This story takes place before the events and politics of 9-11. Dual citizenships were common.) And you, because of your profession can do the same. Is that a workable idea?"

"I never thought of that, but what about work? I don't want to leave my position and I can't asked you to leave yours. There may be too many obstacles for us."

"Well my business is established. There are enough people there to handle the cases, so I could check in frequently via phone and make visits as needed. My apartment on the top floor is cleaned weekly and I am sure someone could stock the basics if I call ahead. You could stay in your position or you could apply for your licensing in Ontario if you wanted to. Between your apartment and mine, as well as the cave we would have a home. What do you think?"

"I can see why you are a successful lawyer. You could think your way out of any challenge. But I do think that if you were planning on us being an us, then you have to look further into the future. What about children? I know I can be a worry wart, but I like having things figured out before they happen." She grinned.

"MMMM, I will admit that I didn't really think that far ahead. However, the cave is large enough that a wall can be erected across the end of the living area to provide two small bed rooms. We could even put bunk beds in both if needed. And we could put in a privacy panel for our bed. Now my apartment has three separate bedrooms, apart from the master bedroom. With your apartment we could just find something larger, we have the time and the money."

"Wow, now it is time for me to step back and think for a while. Can we do that? I have another week before I want to visit my parents and explain about my other Daniel. Would you be free to come meet them?" She held her breath in anticipation of his answer.

"Honey, you take all the time you need to think about this, about us. I can fly you to your parent's home. I can fly you back to work. I think we can make this work, if we want to. Let's stop talking and watch a movie."

She nodded and grabbed his hand as she pulled him close for a kiss.

They picked a hilarious comedy as a distraction for their thoughts. It was an easy movie to follow and bantered about the ending. Gray stretched out between their chairs so that both could pet him. He truly was a spoiled baby, even though he did portray a vicious animal. When he left to go for a brief outing, they moved their chairs, so they could sit side by side. This left no room for Gray when he returned so he dragged himself off to sulk by the end of the bed.

The movie ended in her favor as she jumped up and down as a young child would with excitement. Daniel's attempts to hold her forced him to jump along with her. Laughter filled the room.

It was bed time and of course, Gray had to climb in front of her, so she wouldn't fall out of bed. They all settled in the same positions from their earlier nap.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.