Fantasy Fiction posted May 21, 2018 Chapters:  ...18 19 -19- 20... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Hamish plots to thwart the mountain men

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

The Council

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A child is born to a Dark One, one who is thought to be cursed by her people. The child will grow up to a champion for his people and lead a vast army against a great evil.
After escaping his escort, Hamish rode his horse hard to Wahaland. He went straight to his dwelling, giving orders to his servants, to draw him a bath. They were shocked to see their master again and they looked at one another unsure of what to do, then reluctantly did as he said. Hamish bathed and donned fresh clothing.

He handed the clothes he had been wearing to his servant. "Burn these," he ordered. Before walking out the door he turned, "Do not think I have forgotten what happened at the fortress and your desertion of me. I will deal with you when I return." He whirled on his feet in his usual dramatic fashion and hurried off to speak with Valtar, head of the council.

"Valtar there are armed men on there way here to overtake the village. They come form the mountains. They had held me prisoner for these many weeks. I know you must have wondered at my whereabouts and been concerned.  I was suspicious of the mountain men so went to the Purple Mountains to search. They captured me and I escaped from them. Now they have followed me here. They still hold Joshua, so you must call the warriors to arms and go out to meet them!"

Hamish paced as he spoke and Valtar watched him a moment, not knowing what to think. He had wondered at his disappearance and had questioned his servants, but they could not say what had happened to him. He rose and went to call the council members together.

"We do not have time for a council meeting. Call the warriors to arms. You must meet these men before they get to Wahaland!" Hamish demanded and it seemed to Valtar that he was not well in his mind.

In their chambers, Valtar stood before the council members and cast glances at Hamish as he spoke.

"Hamish claims there are men coming from the mountain fortress to overtake the village."

"I do not claim it! I know it is so, I was with them just last night before I escaped. Send men and you will see," Hamish said growing more agitated.

"For what reason? Why would they come now to overtake us? This makes no sense. We have lived peaceably for almost one hundred years, now they decide to overtake us." Goran, Joshua's grandfather shook his head in disbelief. He had no use for Hamish.

"You say they hold Joshua?" asked Valtar.

"Yes, When I escaped I would have rescued him, but it was too dangerous," lied Hamish. He could see by the looks he received, the council was sceptical. "I saw Joshua with my own eyes. He was there." He continued to pace and his hands shook.

Goran, Joshua's grandfather, watched him expressionless and shook his head, he could not abide Hamish. He rose and went out to called his sons to him.

Erik and Drake had seen Hamish return and waited outside the council chamber, having not been asked to join them. They had become council members the year before and were confused as to why they had been left out. Goran had not wanted them there as he had not told them of the fortress nor of Valdig's vison. They knew only that he was their great uncle and that there were men who lived in the mountians, but since they had never bothered the village, they never felt them a threat. Goran had kept much from them, and he didn't know what Hamish might say that would cause them to have questions he didn't want to answer. 

"Hamish is saying he had been held captive by the mountain men. He escaped them, and they followed him hoping to overtake the village. I do not believe him." Goran told his sons. "He is acting like a man possessed. I do not know what may have happened to him, but he seems undone. Ride out to see if anyone is headed our way. I do not know how many there are. Hamish is no help. Take Dak and if there are indeed men coming, send Dak to tell me."

Drake called for his son Dak and told him to bring the horses.

"One more thing," Goran said, "Hamish said he saw Joshua, that he is being held by these men. I do not believe it, but if it turns out to be the truth, then we must fight to get him back."

His sons nodded and the three men mounted up and galloped out of the valley toward the mountains.

The brothers could see horses in the distance, heading their way, snow flying around them as they galloped toward them.

"How many do you think?" Asked Dak.

"Not many. Not enough to defeat our warriors and overtake the village. I think it is just more of Hamish's lies," replied Erik. The men pulled up their horses to wait.

"Do you believe Joshua to be alive?" asked Dak. He looked between his father and uncle.

"I do not know. Why would these people take Joshua and keep him for all this time? Surely they would have asked for a ransom. I can make sense of none of it. Go and tell your Grandfather that men on horseback are indeed on their way." Drake answered.

Nyla could see men on horses, waiting. "It would seem Hamish made it to Wahaland and the council had sent warriors," she said.

"Not very many," Augdon observed. "I count only three. I do not think they are a war party."

As the distance between them grew less, Nyla could see it was her brothers and Dak who waited. She was greatly relieved.

Drake and Erik seeing their sister with a party of warriors caught the brothers off guard. They could not fathom how she would have come to be with them.

"Nyla, how is it you are in the company of these men?" Drake asked. The brothers kept their weapons at the ready.

"I was asked as a favor to Valdig, your great uncle, to make inquiries as to whether you would join those in the fortress to fight against a great evil that is descending upon the land."

The brother stared at her, not knowing what she meant.

"Nyla, we know nothing about what you are saying," Erik said. "We know Valdig was father's uncle, but he has been dead these many years. We know of the mountain men, but nothing of a fortress."

Nyla sighed inwardly. How could her father have kept these things from her brothers? She couldn't understand the reason for so much secrecy. Did he fear Valdig and the mountain men? Perhaps, but then why keep it from his son? Why not tell them so they could stand ready to defend him and Wahaland?

She saw the difficult job set before her, to convince her brothers and the council that she spoke the truth. "It is a long  story, but I will tell you as much as I can. Know I tell the truth as I have never lied to you and have no reason to do so now.  I swear you can trust these men. I come on behalf of Joshua as well. We do not come to harm, but in peace to beg for your help."

The brothers eyes widened at the mention of Joshua's name. They were bewildered by all that was said, but they trusted their sister so nodded and turn their horses toward Wahaland.

Nyla explained how she had come to be part of the delegation and what had become of Joshua. She introduce the men with her as well, and gave as much information about each as she knew, to help ease her brothers' minds.

She told them all she knew of Joshua's story and Augdon filled in any gaps she left. The story she told of the horde and of dragons, was difficult for her brothers to take in. They shook their heads often, finding much of what was said difficult to believe.

"I promise you we will show you the fortess and all that we have told you if you desire. We have no reason to make up fantastic tales. We only want your help to defeat an enemy. One that will destroy us all if we do nothing," Augdon said.

*************************************************************

 

Hamish paced the council chamber, waiting for the brothers to return. They would no doubt have the mountain men with them and Joshua would tell them a very different tale than the one he had told. His cunning mind tried to think up a story that would counter anything Joshua might say, but he wasn’t able to concentrate. Days with little sleep  had taken a toll and he had many times over the past weeks, felt himself on the edge of a breakdown. Being so isolated had almost been his undoing. He needed rest, but there was no time. He knew the mountain men would be there soon and he needed a plan.

Valtar and Goran watched Hamish pace the room, seeming to talk to himself. They exchanged glances and Goran shook his head. “I do believe he is undone. Something is wrong and I do not trust his words. Look at how he behaves. Forget him Valtar. Let the council make our own decisions without him.”

Valtar said nothing, reluctant to turn against Hamish, whose grandfather, Kidrick, had been a most formidable man and had instilled fear into Valtar. Kidrick had done a good job of training up his son, Hamish, to take his place and though he despised Hamish, a lingering fear kept him from dismissing him. Hamish was formidable in his own right and seemed to possess powers no one understood.

Goran sat back and folded his arms across his chest. He nor his sons ever believed Hamish possessed special powers. He was just cunning and manipulative. Goran had tried to get Hamish removed as their spiritual leader, as he felt his influence to be damaging and of no value, but had not been successful in going so. Hamish preyed on the weak minded and Valtar had never been a strong-willed man. He should not have been made council head. He knew Hamish had much to do with his being installed and no doubt his father, Kidrick, as well. Goran could only hope he and his sons would have more influence, and be a voice of reason with the council.

A commotion outside the chamber drew Goran's attention to the door as it flew open and his sons walked in followed by Nyla and the rest of the men from the fortress.





Picture from Google.

Joshua-Champion for his people
Lyse- Joshua girlfriend and Augdon's daughter
Augdon-Captain of the Guardians
Nyla-Joshua's mother
Mathis-Lyse's brother, Augdons' son
Cedric-Augdon's brother
Dyster-blue dragon
Riddare-Mountain Cat, Dyster's constant companion
Hamish-vain spiritual adviser
Kidrick-Hamish's evil grandfather
Valtar-Council Head
Goran-Joshua's grandfather, Nyla's father
Drake-Nyla's brother
Erik-Nyla's brother

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.