Supernatural Fiction posted May 14, 2018 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sins of Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book Sins of Chaos

Sebastian's Curse

by scongrove


Previously...

Now that Abbey finally put an end to the ruthless scientist who kept her prisoner for years, killed her father, and tortured her with endless lab experiments, she had to warn her beloved Steven.

Before Dr. Autenburg had met his end, he was hired by Valkin Steele—a billionaire client that funded his research—to locate an Adalwolf with the power to heal his dying mistress. And Steven was the target.

During her escape, Abbey was caught off guard and tranquilized by Valkin Steele’s body guard, Roman Kincaid. Just as she thought all hope was lost, her luck finally turned around. Roman, who was also an Adalwolf, promised Abbey he would keep her safe, and help her reunite with Steven. Left with no other choice, Abbey could only pray Roman was a man of his word. 

Meanwhile, after Sebastian refuses to hand over his son to Lucifer, he becomes trapped in a state of unconsciousness and forced to face the forgotten trauma of his childhood. But before Lucifer unleashes his wraith, he rips into Sebastian’s throat as Eve watches helplessly. 


Continued...   
                          

Eve didn’t look up when a male nurse came into Sebastian’s cell.

“Sebastian?” she said, shaking his shoulders again. “Sebastian...”

She put her ear to his chest and heard the faint thrum of his heart. Eve was desperate to help him, but she didn’t know what to do. “Oh, God, please...”

As the male nurse rushed over, he said, “Ma’am, we need to check his vitals.”

At the sound of his voice, Eve snapped her head in the nurse’s direction; wide-eyed and hissed.

Slowly, Bruce Carmichael stepped over to her. “Please, Miss,” he said, his voice laced in a Scottish accent. “You’ve got tae lit heem dae his job.”

But the closer he got, the crazier her eyes became. Eve positioned herself as if she was ready to defend Sebastian.

“Easy, Miss,” the nurse said in a calm voice. “I’m not going to hurt him. I’m here to help.”

She blinked and looked back at Sebastian as he lay unconscious. As she stepped back, she started to cry.

When the nurse stepped in to check Sebastian, a female wearing a white physician’s coat rushed inside the room.

Bruce, who had witnessed Sebastian’s mysterious incident, reached out to Eve and said, “It’s okay. Please, let’s step out an’ gie them room.”

When he ushered Eve through the door, she turned and watched through the opening as the female physician went to Sebastian’s body and lifted Eve’s blood-soaked jacket she’d placed on his wound. The doctor cursed as she examined the neck wound and looked up at the nurse.

“How did this happen? It looks like an animal attacked him.”

“I don’t know,” said the nurse, clenching his brows in confusion. “After I gave him a sedative, he was alone when I left the room.”

As the doctor looked down, refocusing on Sebastian, his eyes blinked open and focused on her. She jerked back. What the... His irises were as dark as night. Coal-black. With their locked stares, she was stunned into immobility as if he was looking into her very soul. She could sense another presence inside the patient’s body. And it was something dark, and evil.

“We need to get him transported to a hospital,” the nurse barked.

The physician snapped back to attention and looked up. “Call for an ambulance,” she ordered.

The nurse nodded and heard a soft crying sound. He looked over to see Eve clasping a hand to her mouth. 

When the physician looked back down, she could have sworn Sebastian frowned at her before his lids shut.

Moments later, two paramedics appeared down the hall. Eve stepped aside as they came into the constricted, padded cell at slingshot speed.

She sagged against the wall for what seemed like hours as she watched them strap Sebastian onto a gurney. Something inside Eve had broken at the sight of her beloved. Tears gathered in her eyes at the thought of her betrayal. She was ashamed for not believing Sebastian when he’d told her of the visits of his dead brother. Her legs were numb, her knees shaky and her entire body became paralyzed with fear. What had Sebastian meant when he’d begged her to save Arius from Lucifer? Was Lucifer after her child because of the birthmark? Maybe Sebastian had been right about their son all this time. Did Arius truly have the mark of evil?   
 
The murmur of voices caught Eve’s attention, snapping her back to focus. She tensed when the paramedics quickly wheeled Sebastian out of the room and down the hall. Eve covered her mouth to stifle the sob that swelled in her throat. She wouldn’t cry. She wouldn’t give in to the despair. Sebastian would need her strong and steady. Fight, she silently willed him. I cannot fight this battle alone. Come back to me, Sebastian.

When the paramedics and a guard disappeared into an elevator with Sebastian, she broke away and ran toward them.  

“Wait! Miss...”

Ignoring Bruce, Eve rushed to the elevator as the doors closed. Oh, dear God, she thought. Please don’t take him away. As Eve turned, she sagged against the wall and sobbed into her hands. She felt like throwing up, but her stomach was empty.

When Bruce approached her, he breathed deeply, bracing himself before he spoke. He’d been galvanized by what he’d witnessed earlier. Of all the years Bruce had been employed as a Breedline guard, he’d never seen anything like today. What had happened to Sebastian reminded him of the old black and white TV series he used to watch as a kid, The Twilight Zone.  

He reached into his pocket, and when he pulled his hand out, he held out a handkerchief to Eve. “Aam sorry, Eve,” he said in a soothing voice. “Ah have tae tak’ ye back to th’ Breedline Covenant.”

She nodded and took what he offered. “Thank you, Bruce.”   
 
After she had wiped her eyes, she held up the small delicate material in a gesture to return his kindness. With a soft expression, he shook his head. “Please. Keep it.” 
   
Eve nodded in silence and tucked the handkerchief into her pants pocket. She touched his arm, her eyes warm, as she met his gaze. “Do you know what hospital they’re taking him too?”

Bruce’s expression grew serious, tension tightening his features. A tight fist wrapped itself around his neck as jealousy and a sense of territory for Eve suddenly assailed him. In a short time, he’d developed feelings for her, and he didn’t like the fact that another man, especially Sebastian, was evidently her beloved. Bruce wanted to mean more to Eve other than a temporary guard, whom she would most likely forget when he was relieved from his duty after her trial. His head told him he was a fool for even dreaming Eve would have any interest in seeing him beyond just a guard, but his heart clung to the hope that he could be more. 

As tears welled in her eyes, it was all Bruce could do not to slide his arm around Eve to give her comfort. But at the moment, there was the issue of Eve and Sebastian’s bond that kept Bruce from overstepping his boundaries. It was apparent she had deep feelings for Sebastian. The question was why? For some reason, Eve had apparently betrayed him and begged the Breedline Covenant for safety even though she was wanted for past crimes against them. A dozen questions were buzzing in Bruce’s head because nothing made sense right now. 
  
Bruce’s expression immediately softened as he stared warmly down at her. He held up his hand and motioned Eve forward. “We shoods go,” he said, hesitating briefly, uncertainty flashing in his eyes giving his large stature a vulnerable look. “Aam sure th’ Covenant will gie ’at information tae ye.” 

Something in Bruce’s tone soothed the tension that had knotted her insides. There was an odd note in his heavily accented voice. She cocked her head to the side, studying him for a moment. Eve swore she could see sweat building on his brow. And then she saw vulnerability creep in his gaze, giving her a glimpse of this hulking man’s raw emotion shimmering back at her.

Lowering her head, she sniffled back the tears. “Okay,” she said, swallowing the knot in her throat. She lifted her chin, a watery sheen still evident in her crimson eyes. “Are you going to tell the Covenant what you saw?”

“Aye,” his reply was instantaneous.

Eve immediately relaxed, and some of the anxiety eased from her forehead. “Thank you, Bruce.”  

****

Later that night, after Roman and Lawrence got Abbey to a safe house, she was out for the night, heavily sedated. Roman spent the entire night tirelessly setting into motion plans for her protection. He’d hired a dedicated team of three Breedline Special Forces, who stood guard outside her room. They would have direct access to Abbey and be in charge of her transportation and safety. Lawrence had contacted the California Breedline Covenant to arrange a meeting with Tim Ross and to have Abbey transported there tomorrow morning. Roman was determined to take down Valkin Steele and all the unethical physicians he hired to do his evil bidding. Now, he relied on the Covenant’s help to put an end to the innocent people who suffered, freeing them from a life filled with endless torture.

Before Roman had Abbey taken to the Breedline Covenant, he planned on meeting with the head council first. After discovering Steven was under the protection of the Covenant, he thought best to tell Abbey tomorrow when his team brought her to the meeting. There was simply no need to wake her. She’d already experienced enough shock. He wanted her as stress-free as possible given the circumstances. With Abbey teetering on edge, he didn’t want to push her further in fear of her Lupa. And more than that, he wanted her to have faith in him and his vow to keep her safe.

Abbey would sleep tonight, but Roman and the others wouldn’t. There was too much to sort through and decisions to be made regarding her protection from Valkin Steele and his men.

****
Deep into a sedated slumber, Abbey saw her mother for the first time. On some level, she knew it had to be a dream. Her mother, Mary, died when Abbey was born.   
 

And yet, as she came to her out of the darkness, she was alive, moving with ease, smiling at her. Mary’s smile was as peaceful as an angel’s.

“Mother?” Abbey said with wonder.

“Abigail.”

At the sound of her mother’s voice, Abbey sat upright. Mary was right beside the bed, her arms reaching out for her.

“Mother... is that really you?”

“Yes, my precious Abigail.”

God, her voice was so tender, just as she’d thought it would be—and she vowed to memorize the sound.

When Abbey reached out and took hold of her mother’s hand, she said, “Oh, how I’ve longed to see you, mother.” 
 

Mary lightly squeezed Abbey’s hand and said, “I never got to hold you.” Then she pulled Abbey into a gentle embrace, and so the two of them hugged for the very first time. Abbey wanted to hold onto her mother forever and never let go.

When Mary pulled back, tears slipped down her cheeks. “I will always be right here,” she said, pointing to the center of Abbey’s chest... to her heart. “I love you so very, very much—”

And then her mother’s image faded, disappearing until Abbey was alone.

“I love you, too,” Abbey whispered. 

When Abbey awoke, two men stood by the door at the far end of the room. They looked like soldiers, all dressed in camouflage, muscled and disciplined.

No one noticed Abbey was awake as she watched the two men quietly engaging in conversation with a female. She was at least six-foot tall, broad shoulders and oddly resembled the 1990’s television fictional character, Xena the Warrior Princess. When she turned to the side, her profile was surprisingly feminine-looking. Her long, dark hair was pulled back in a thick braid, and she too was dressed in a black T-shirt, camo fatigues, and combat boots. She wore a shoulder holster with a pistol tucked inside. As she stared at the woman, who apparently could take care of herself, Abbey felt envious. The woman looked in control of her destiny, unlike her. Abbey’s human form was petite and weak. Only in her Lupa form did she feel strong and fierce.

Abbey wasn’t sure what to say, or if she should speak out at all. When she cleared her throat nervously, it caught their attention as they quickly looked in her direction.

The tall woman cocked a brow, studying Abbey for a moment before she spoke. “Good morning. Roman hired us to keep you safe. My name is Lena, and this is Justice,” she said, gesturing toward a good-looking, blond-haired man on her left. His eyes were a clear shade of teal, beautiful enough that Abbey found herself staring at the fascinating color. And then Lena’s name oddly struck Abbey. How ironic, she thought. Lena... Xena?  
   
As Lena turned toward the other man standing to her right, she introduced him. “And this is my brother, Bull,” she said with a light chuckle. “Short for bullheaded.” 
  
His real name was Ben, but weighing eleven pounds at birth, his father nicknamed him Bull. After that, the name stuck, and his little sister Lena cracked jokes ever since.

When Abbey’s eyes locked on the man that was the size of a mountain, she had to admit; he looked like a total badass. He was twice the size of Lena and was a good two inches taller than Justice who was at least six-five. And his muscles bulged under his tight, short sleeve T-shirt.

Abbey watched as Bull nudged his sister’s arm with his shoulder for making light of his name. Lena cast a baleful look in his direction and leaned in with her elbow, poking him in the ribs.

Bull winced and staggered back. “Damn it, Lena,” he mumbled under his breath.

Justice rolled his eyes and smirked, almost as if he was used to Lena and Bull’s sibling banter.

Lena and Justice had been lovers for three years. They’d hooked up almost immediately after she had joined the Special Ops team Justice and her brother had been a part of for the last decade. But they managed to keep their relationship a secret, hiding behind friendship until only recently.

Lena thought Justice was the total package, not that she’d ever tell him though. Just being around him gave her butterflies. The man could kiss like a dream. Hell, it made her act like a damn girl. Lena loved his strength and confidence, but he was not an arrogant asshole. A guy like Justice wouldn’t have to look far to get laid. But she didn’t want him getting a big head and besides, it suited her purposes to keep him down a few notches since she did have to work with him, after all.  
     
Bull was a hard-ass. When they were on a mission, he had a single-minded focus. It had been a hell of a shock to discover Justice and his little sister’s secret. He was reluctant at first. But after a few weeks of bickering and complaining about how their relationship was going to put a wedge between their personal life and their professional duties, he finally cooled down and accepted it for what it was. Bull liked Justice, even if he was one giant pain in his ass. Plus he was good to his little sister, but it didn’t stop a healthy rivalry between him and Justice when it came to sniper duty. Bull was a better sharpshooter. And he always made sure Justice was made fully aware of the fact.

The sound of an obnoxious cell phone ringtone startled Bull, and he shot Justice an irritated glare.

“Sorry,” Justice muttered as he reached into his pants pocket and retrieved his phone. “Justice,” he said shortly. “Yeah, Roman, what’s up?”

Justice’s expression was serious, and then he merely said, “We’ll get her there at zero-nine-hundred.”

He ended the call and then looked at Abbey. “Roman wants us to take you to the Breedline Covenant this morning. He’s set up a meeting with the head council... and the Queen.”

To be continued...
 
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species must be kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth, are born with telepathic abilities, and have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong, that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don't have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEENS RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back human and cast out as a rogue wolf.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change human again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - When the full moon passes through the amber shadow of the earth, producing a midnight eclipse visible across North America. So begins a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six-month intervals. This incredible light beams into the heart of earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb. During this time, all Breedline species that are mated have a strong desire to create an offspring. This is also a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

SUCCUBUS (a.k.a CREEPERS) - Creatures that search for, and feeds off the blood of the Breedline species. Creepers are skilled at extreme sexual pleasure, and the ecstasy they create is exceedingly intense and highly addictive. They cast off a scent that hypnotizes Breedlines into overwhelming sexual urges. They use their human-like bodies and beautiful features to control and influence their thoughts.
They have the ability to reach into the Breedline's mind during sleep, casting a spell of dreams about sexual contact, or intercourse. And one much less obvious manifestation of Creepers is nightmares - realistic, graphic, terrifying nightmares that rob the Breedline of sleep. Over a period, it can lead to severe fatigue and depression, leaving them emotionally and spiritually drained. Death can occur if they ultimately take over the Breedline's body.

HALF-BREED - This species is born with the genes from both Breedline and succubus. They can bond with either a full-blood Breedline or another half-breed. They cannot change into the Breedline wolf, but they do need blood from them to survive. With the power to hypnotize, most Breedlines have minimal respect and credence toward the half-breed species.

WICCA (or Wise One) - According to the Breedline species, a Wicca is the goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts, and necromancy. A Wicca is also considered to be a demonic spirit. It is unclear to the Breedline if they act under the orders of the devil, or they are simply not understood and treated as outcasts. They can do white magic (good) or dark (evil).

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, three times the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two-shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them. And an Adalwolf is immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

LUPA - The ancestors descended from the old legend of the lycanthrope, except the moon has no power over them and it cannot be passed on to others like a virus. It is passed on through genetics to the female offspring, known as a she-wolf. This type of creature shape-shifts into a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature, and is considered dangerous... cursed.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He was taken from his mother and forced to endure a life of endless, painful experiments by two German physicians; Dr. Hans Autenburg and Dr. Hubert Crane. Without the knowledge of his real family, Steven finally manages to escape his captors, locating his biological parents and his fraternal twin, Tessa Fairchild. Now, after years of being separated, Steven continues his search for his one true love, Abbey.

Abigail Winthrop (a.k.a Abbey) - She inherited her mother's genetics of a Lupa (she-wolf). While kept prisoner for years by a ruthless scientist, Dr. Hans Autenburg, Abbey was used as a research project in hopes of creating a new breed of species. During her captivity, she bonded with Steven, who was kept prisoner at the same research facility in Munich, Germany.

EVE - She is a half-breed and Sebastian's bonded mate. Growing up in human foster care, she spent her entire childhood abused until Sebastian saves her. Scorned from her past, she lashes out in anger, living a life of crime later to discover her twin sister, Mia Blackwood. After realizing the Chiang-Shih demon possesses Sebastian, Eve clings to the past in hopes of reuniting with her beloved. Now that Sebastian is finally free of the demon, she has trust issues, worried he has an alternative plan for their sons.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed, and Eve's bonded mate. After he had been killed by Jace in self- defense, he was possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon after the Angel of Mercy cast him out of Alexander's body. As he tried to portray Sebastian's life, Eve finally figured out his secret. Keeping her captive only to survive on her blood, he later develops feelings for her. The demon creates a death army, determined to dominate the world and unleash his wrath among humans and the Breedline. Now free from the demon, he is determined to reunite with his beloved Eve who is kept prisoner by the Breedline Covenant awaiting trial for her past crimes against them.

Arius and Tidus - Sebastian and Eve's twin boys. Both have inherited their parent's genetics of a half-breed. But Arius carries the mark of the Chiang-Shih demon with the power to create a portal and the ability to heal others.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and head council of the California Covenant. Angel, his bonded mate - who is a half-breed - has Tim's daughter they named Natalie, after her sister.

Bruce Carmichael - He is a Breedline, originally from Scotland, who resides in the California Breedline Covenant as a loyal guard.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.