General Fiction posted April 27, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An ecology of hope

Conquering Darkness

by Liz O'Neill

Bea the wee bear was returning to a spot she had not visited in a very long time. She called it Bea's Golden Path. On one of her previous strolling exercises, she had found a delightful path of golden-hued dirt which reminded her of honey. This path brought her joyful memories of discovering her footprints remained even after she'd stepped off the path. That path wasn't golden anymore. When Bea and Scruffles her raccoon cat woke to a strange dark foreboding odor, they ran in the direction of the golden path. The footprints were gone. Bea's day turned as black as the substance covering them. She'd finally found the courage to revisit the tragic spot. For a while, she couldn't look down. Then, something drew her attention to the center of the black path. Miraculously, heat and cold had made the slightest of slits revealing many green blades squeezing through.




150 Words Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Liz O'Neill All rights reserved.
Liz O'Neill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.