Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 27, 2018 Chapters:  ...8 8 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Male detective and female detective solving a crime.e

A chapter in the book Loophole

What Next?

by Marvin Calloway




Background
A retiring male detective and a younger female detective team up to solve murders and robbery.
Chapter 8

What Next?

When the impact of the ambulance fiasco had sunk in, Brennan called for backup. He requested two uniformed officers, in the event other bank employees were involved and a third plainclothes officer to keep an eye on Sterling.

"I wonder if he was connected to the robbery," Amanda offered.

"Sterling? I wouldn't put anything past him."

"He was awfully quick to shoot the robber," she added. "Do you really think he wanted Miss La Scola to die while waiting for an ambulance?"

"What other reason could he have? It's not like he was extremely busy. And consider the ambulance service he called. The bozo I met did not seem like the compassionate, dedicated person one usually finds in a paramedic."

< < ^ > >

"I knew it. I knew this would happen. I tried my best to let him retire with dignity, but no, Brennan couldn't do that. He's got to involve the whole police department. And, what's worse, now we're having to borrow personnel from other departments. Where is this going to end?"

The Chief of Police, Jo Tierney was saying all this to her secretary, Bridgette.

Mrs. Tierney enjoyed seeing the look on people's faces when they found out the Chief of Police was a woman.

"Well that's it. The robber's been shot and may die at any moment. The teller's been shot by the robber and is on her way to the hospital, where she may die at any moment. Why on earth does Brennan need extra personnel?"

"The answer's right here, chief," Tierney's secretary said, as she held up the two page fax she had received from Detective Doherty. "According to this, the bank manager, himself, may have murdered the teller."
"Isn't that rather harsh punishment just for allowing yourself to get robbed at gunpoint?"

"That's one way to look at it, chief. Brennan and Doherty are planning on doing more questioning. They're thinking the manager and the robber may have been working together. Or the robber and the teller could have been partners."

"No additional personnel needed for those two scenarios."

"And they feel at least one employee was in on the robbery. Three more cops may not be enough."

"Give them two and tell them I said to speed it up."

< < ^ > >

The astounded detectives began discussing what their strategy should be, in light of the delayed ambulance call.

"This wouldn't be premeditated murder, would it, Sir?"

"No, but, I believe it's a clear case of Second-Degree murder."

"If Miss La Scola dies, I'll bet a good lawyer could get Sterling on Murder One."

"I think it's so obvious a high school drop-out could nail the S.O.B., but let's leave that up to the courts, Amanda."

< < ^ > >

Brennan assigned Amanda to sketch a floor plan of the bank, "If you need someone to hold the other end of the tape, deputize one of the bank employees, preferably one who's not guilty of any bank related crimes."

Brennan made sure Amanda had all the items she needed to complete the task.

"While you're drawing up the bank I'll be trying to draw out Miss Zito. I think she's either hiding information or wants to unload some. Maybe she'll fess up while she and I take a tour of the bank."

< < ^ > >

Character List:
George S. Brennan: Police Captain.
Amanda Doherty: Police Detective.
Floyd Tucker: Teller One.
Joan Berkowitz: Bookkeeper.
Gertrude (Trudy) La Scola: Teller Two.
Rose Anne Zito: Phone receptionist.
Eric MacNamarra: Accountant.
Jamal Jefferson: Custodian.
Ruth Freeman: Secretary.
Arnold Frazier: Robber.
Josephine Tierney: Chief of Police
Bridgette: Mrs. Tierney's Secretary
Robert (Bobby) Brittenham: Loan Officer.
Herman Sterling: Bank Manager.






This is a murder mystery, not connected to my Rom/Com, Loophole.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by eileen0204 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marvin Calloway All rights reserved.
Marvin Calloway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.