Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted April 18, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
5-7-5 Contest Entry

Evangelicals

by michaelcahill

5-7-5 Contest Winner 

Christ's loud cheerleaders,
the lifeblood of recruiting--

                political tools.


 


Writing Prompt
Write a 5-7-5 poem on any subject. The only rule is to follow the 5-7-5 syllable count (first line has five syllables, second line has seven, third line has five again).

5-7-5
Contest Winner


I recall Billy Graham back in the day as being referred to as an evangelist. There are many examples, but he's a good one, I think. He was inspirational as a speaker and untold thousands responded to his message. It has always meant one who recruits people to the Christian faith. I never heard Billy Graham mention anything about politics or who to vote for. It seems that evangelical has taken on an entirely new meaning anymore.


Of course, this is my opinion. I'm not offering it
as anything else.

Here's the definition of evangelical.
1.
Also, evangelic. pertaining to or in keeping with the gospel and its teachings.
2.
belonging to or designating the Christian churches that emphasize the teachings and authority of the Scriptures, especially of the New Testament, in opposition to the institutional authority of the church itself, and that stress as paramount the tenet that salvation is achieved by personal conversion to faith in the atonement of Christ.
3.
designating Christians, especially of the late 1970s, eschewing the designation of fundamentalist but holding to a conservative interpretation of the Bible.
4.
pertaining to certain movements in the Protestant churches in the 18th and 19th centuries that stressed the importance of personal experience of guilt for sin, and of reconciliation to God through Christ.


I do not understand how this has anything to do with electing anyone to office or claiming Jesus or God as favouring a particular country or people. Whether you are for or against President Trump, it should alarm you that there is a movement bent on removing the separation of church and state which was so wisely seen to in the founding of this country. Again, my opinion.





Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.