Fantasy Fiction posted April 10, 2018 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Hamish finds his way to the fortress.

A chapter in the book GULBRANDR- God's Sword

Joshua Meets Dyster

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
In chapter 8 Hamish decides to go in search of Joshua, this chapter expounds on that and continues his search.
Hamish moved at a good pace, at times kicking his white gelding into a gallop, leaving his servants on their lesser steeds, far behind. They didn't mind, in fact were quite happy as he was not a popular employer. The spiritual leader for the Wahaland Clan was headed towards the mountain range. He knew the most likely place to look for Joshua would be there. His father had told him of the place where Valdig had taken his people and he was sure the mountain men had kidnapped the boy.

When he reached the foot of the range, Hamish turn his mount toward the mountain trail that would take him to the fortress. It was not easy to find. Augdon's men kept it well hidden. But Hamish had his spies among the traders and he paid them well to do his bidding. An obliging tradesman told him where to look.

By the time Hamish reached the fortress, his horse was spent. It was an arduous journey and he had been pushed hard. He swayed on his feet as Hamish dismounted.

Augdon had been told of a man on horseback making his way up the mountain. He was a Wahaland and Augdon knew it must be Hamish. The men were told to let him through unimpeded. He watched as Hamish approached the fortress.

The spiritual leader stood at the immense gate and wondered how to gain entrance when a smaller door carved in the stone wall opened and a man stepped out.

He motioned Hamish to follow him, so he did, bringing his horse with him.

Augdon met him at the foot of the steps that led to the roof of the fortress where he had watched Hamish approach.

"What do you want Hamish?" He asked.

Hamish was surprised that the man knew his name but was certain he had spies. He demanded Joshua be turned over to him and stood as if ready to challenge with hands on hips and head held high looking Augdon in the eye. He could be an imposing figure being well over six feet, but Augdon was unimpressed. He smiled at the man's feeble attempt to intimidate.

He ignored his demand. "You have ridden your horse half to death. My man will walk it to the stream where it can drink and eat. And you will be our guest for a while."

Hamish protested but Augdon's men were bigger and stronger. He was brought into the fortress and placed in a small room.

"You cannot keep me a prisoner! I demand you bring Joshua to me and that we be let go. My servants are waiting for me, if I do not return they will ride to Wahaland and bring warriors to fetch me." Hamish was in the habit of being obeyed, so had no doubt his commands would be honored.

Augdon smiled and shook his head, thinking what a stupid man he was. "We found your servants. Do you not think I would have my men watching for trespassers? We sent them home with provisions for the trip and with their promise that they tell no one you are here. You should treat your servants better, Hamish. They are not so loyal to you."

Hamish turned red in the face and sputtered, but could think of no reply. He knew his servants thought ill of him, but never entertained the notion that they would ever defy him. Augdon left him to stew, but ordered food and water be taken to him.

Augdon sent for Joshua and told him of Hamish. "The man is an idiot. He will have to stay with us a long while."

"What will you do with him? You cannot keep him locked up."

"Can I not?" Augdon raised an eyebrow. "No, I will not keep him locked up but he cannot leave. The risk he would go back to Wahaland and tell the council or your uncles you are here is too great."

Joshua would often see Hamish watching him. The man had an unsettling presence and Joshua could not stomach him. He avoided him as much as possible but Hamish often sought him out, acting as a concerned friend and asked many questions. Joshua, not trusting him in the least, gave one word answers or none at all.

Hamish's movements were closely watched, he was not allowed to see or hear anything to do with the coming battle.

He was most wretched being kept at the fortress. He had no servants to do his bidding, the room they keep him in was almost barren but for a bed and small table for a lantern. He had none of the niceties he enjoyed in Wahaland to keep him comfortable. He had no influence here and most bruising to his ego, none of the women cast looks his way and seemed not to think him handsome. He had been greatly humbled and he did not like the feeling. He often paced his small room, plotting revenge with each step.

*****************

After many weeks of weapons training, Joshua was introduced to Dyster, the dragon that would be his.

The beast was a brilliant blue, his scales iridescent, his belly green, darker at the edges getting ever lighter towards the center. When he spread his mammoth wings, the sun shown off the iridescent scales giving the reflection of a rainbow. He was a beautiful beast and the only one of his kind.

"He is meant for you and only you will command him," Augdon said.

Joshua asked to also be shown the mountain cats trained to attack on command. He was excited to finally get to see the animal he had heard so much about.

The huge cats were golden in color with a darker brown surrounding their eyes and a streak of it centered down the nose. Dark brown spots dotted their neck and chest. The hair was longer than was common to most cats, giving them a scruffy appearance. They had green eyes that would look straight at you and never flinch and a long brown tipped tail that twitched most of the time. Their legs and chest were muscled and their feet large. They were at least six feet long, not including the tail and weighed around two hundred pounds.

"I have heard stories that the traders who come through the Middle Passage keep cats to fend off the wild dogs. They keep them on leather ropes tied to their carts."

Augdon laughed. "I have heard this too and it is a myth. No trader could control these cats. It takes my strongest men to hold them. They are fierce and have attacked even their trainers. No, no trader could keep such an animal."

After seeing them, Joshua was amazed any man could control them.

One of the huge cats stayed always with Dyster. Augdon explained that the dragon had come to the fortress and brought the cat with him. The men gave him the name Riddare, which meant 'Companion'.

"He rides the blue dragon, sitting on his back, looking down at us as he circles the mountains. I have not see the like, but my generals have thought much about it. If we can train the cats to ride the dragons, we could get them to the battle much faster. And if we can train them to attack the enemy riders, we would have a great advantage."

Joshua would begin his training the next day. He was excited. He remembered the ride with Augdon to the fortress and though he got air sick, he found it thrilling. The wind wiping past him and flying above tree tops. It gave a feeling of freedom and he looked forward to feeling that again.

"You must watch Riddare. He will be jealous of you. He was that way with us all if we got near Dyster, but he soon grew accustom to us. We may need to keep him locked up for a while, being clawed by a big cat is most painful," Augdon told Joshua.

"I think that is an experience I would live with out," Joshua replied causing Augdon to laugh.

**************

Early the next morning, before the sun was fully up, Joshua ran through the mountain trails. He liked the early morning when no one was about. He could think, the thin mountain cleared his head. He stopped a moment to catch his breath. He bent forward, hands on his knees and his eyes closed. He felt he still had much to learn and far to go before he could be the leader of such men.

Hearing a twig snap behind him, he whirled, his hand on the short sword at his side. In a clearing not six feet from him stood a girl. She held a sword and shield. She was tall and slender and had brown, wavy hair that flowed to her waist. Her eyes were the bluest Joshua had ever seen.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.