Romance Poetry posted April 9, 2018 Chapters:  ...9 10 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Free Verse Sonnet-Club Challenge

A chapter in the book Selections For Book Project

Would You Agree the Sky is Blue?

by michaelcahill

 

joy is unexpected by definition
who plans to be thrilled
for chills to fill the imagination
with rapturous spills of silliness
where sense once held court
and gave no quarter to bliss
 

she is assigned no fault
and I hold no grievance
foolishness is a condition
not an excuse
the imp that trips a thinking sort
and makes sport of his gait
with skips and trips and falls
shocking crashes into walls
surely never there before
 

but she never missed a step
nor uttered a word out of order
fastidious was her veil
giddy may have crossed her mind
in a childhood memory
but it made no roost
she was amenable
to my presence
appreciative of my company
satisfied even by her answer
to my advance
 

we defined love
in colours from different wheels
with the same names


 
blueskylight1large


 





Well, this is MY free verse sonnet. There's no right or wrong version. After all, it is free verse. The idea is to follow the general format as stated in the rules. I hope you will all give it a try.


It is said that we free versers write our compositions due to our lack of formal skills. Sonneteers will claim, "A free verse poet cannot write a sonnet to save their lives, THAT is why they write free verse!". Well, of course, we know different and many of us have written award winning sonnets and are quite adept at iambic pentameter and structured poetry. Indeed, WE don't denigrate any form of artistic expression. It's time now to take it up a notch. Sonnets have become boring for the most part. "BORING" is always OUR call to arms. The time for a Free Verse Sonnet is NOW. This challenge is to write a free verse sonnet on any topic and in any format using all your poetic skills and instincts. Here are the elements that any decent sonnet is expected to contain AND we will be looking for them in your piece as well. NUMBER ONE: A sonnet is essentially a short argument. So, the beginning states your "proposition" or "problem" or "question". NUMBER TWO: Once that is established, you reach a resolution to said. This is typically preceded by a "turn" or "Volta" which signals the change of mood. NUMBER THREE: Finally, you sum up everything with your ending. Simply put, Argument, Resolution, Summation. Feel free to study traditional sonnets for insights as to general structure and flow. HOWEVER, we could care less about rules and confining traditions. We'll write our Free Verse Sonnets and way we please. Feel free to discuss at length in the discussion threads, ask questions, offer ideas or simply curse me and let off steam.




Club entry for the "Write a Free Verse Sonnet" event in "The Fabulous Free Versers Club".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.