General Fiction posted March 12, 2018 Chapters:  ...49 50 -51- 52 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Testing this and that.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Oh My Gosh.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.
Then I surprised them. Using the same groups of ten I had techs collect anywhere from 3 to 6 tubes, the patient group would not only donate their blood for specimens but also provided a coded urine specimen. And we would rotate through the three days.

As suspected this produced several comments. Such as: 'Oh my gosh.' 'That's so gross.' 'Yuk.'

Each student came forward with their urine specimen and it was coded and left sitting on my desk. It was an interesting array of pee, as one student had named it. Various colors were noted from the palest of yellow to a deep amber orange. Some clear, some with sediments, some cloudy or milky. All of these things were important and indicated various things.

Once all the specimens were placed in the centrifuge and spinning. I had them turn their attention to the urine specimens. I picked up each of them one at a time and explained what was different. Of course, they had been shuffled around so placement could not draw the attention of the donor.

"This pale specimen is indicative of someone who drinks a lot of water, whereas this amber orange collection is from someone who does not drink what is considered the daily required water. Does anyone know how much you should drink, and that is plain ordinary water?"

All hands went up, and I picked Sally. "Six to eight glasses that are eight ounces and also what ever you want to drink."

"Andrew, how about telling us why?"

"Because water flushes our kidneys and that helps get rid of toxins and for those wanting to lose some weight, that too."

"Good answer. Now will you continue to lose weight because you drink the required amount of water each day? Andrea?"

"Nope, your body adapts, so instead of discarded fats cells and toxins, it is just toxins."

"Well done. Now, this specimen is rather interesting. Please do not identify yourself, but I am guessing it has been provided by a female who is having her period. I know you are all wondering how I can tell. There are hair-like strands of blood in the specimen, which means either a period or a serious infection. If it was an infection, the person would not be walking upright, they would be slumped over and in excruciating pain. Since no one here is like that, it is a safe guess it is a period."

"This is like being a detective, isn't it? We get to solve mysteries." Andrew commented.

"You sure are. Now, I want you to come up in groups of ten, grasp the bottle with a thumb and fore finger, turning the bottle to see what the temperature range is, it should match an internal temperature. Then as a group, space them out, remove the caps and at a height that would be similar to that of sitting and see if you detect aromas. If you do remember the code number. Recap them and let the next group and then the next, check them out. If you are not checking urine identify the spun specimens or do a count."

It seemed like everyone agreed that they all smelled the same that first day, a slight ammonia odor. It wasn't until the third day that anyone found a difference and once again they all agreed. The urine was very dark. It looked like strong tea and it had a strong odor.

Tom raised his hand and announced, "I had two large kidney stones last weekend and I knew when I was being examined that it because I didn't drink enough fluids of any kind. I sort of got busy at work and just forgot. Then when I started hurting around ten pm, I knew. Any way I was lucky I passed them and man that hurt, but they started me on antibiotics for ten days."

"Thank you, Tom for sharing that with us. As you can all see, what we eat, what we take as medication can play havoc on our bodies. Now today I would like each of you to grab a fresh bottle and get a urine specimen that you will be testing yourself. Bring a paper towel to put on your desk."

When they all returned, I passed the various dip sticks around. I explained what each one was used for testing. Some had a single patch on the end of the plastic stick, while other were longer and had five to seven pads. I used the projector to show the grid results on each bottle and had each student test their specimen for various things such as pH, specific gravity, protein and sugar. Each different test strip was time sensitive, so eyes were moving between the strip and the clock.

I further explained that with each specimen they were to document the color, any sedimentation, aromas, temperatures and test results. This was normal procedure.

It was a pleasure to watch the excitement on their faces as they discovered the result.
Just before the class dismissed for the day, I asked the first group of ten to stay for a few minutes and that I would like the other two groups to see me first thing in the morning.

"Unfortunately, you, as the first group, will be the providers of a stool specimen. I will provide you with the necessary supplies and instructions. You will bring in your specimen in the morning and before we begin examining, you will take the second group to the back of the room and instruct them, then provide their supplies for the next morning. In turn they will then do the same with the third group for the morning after."

They all looked shocked, one ventured to ask, "You want us to poop in a bottle?"

"Actually, you will write the last four of your social and all the other information on the specimens first. Then you will defecate on a paper that sits on the surface of the toilet water, Then when you are finished you will wear gloves, of course, and using a tongue depressor you will scoop up some for the specimen bottle, at least half full, and you will also smear some on a small flip card that I will show you. The gloves are removed and thrown in the garbage. The paper dissolves so you can flush the toilet. The specimens are wrapped in the provided paper towels and put into the zip lock bags. All of this will be placed in the brown bag and brought to school. After leaving the specimens on my desk, you will take group two to the back and prepare them. Okay? Got it? Good, let's get your supplies."

There were groans of surprise and their walk was hesitant.

"Does just one of us explain and then get their supplies or do we do it as a group?" Harold asked.

"I would like you to each take a partner from group two, explain as I did what they are to do, then get them their supplies and reexplain the process. As I will as I hand out each item to you. I am just not doing it one on one. This is a good practice for when you are dealing with patients. They will be just as surprised as you have been and somewhat shocked. Sometimes the doctor just says that they are sending them to the lab for test and gives them no other clue, so you become the teachers."

We went to the cupboard and I handed out supplies in the order they would be used and explained what to do. Everything was placed in the brown paper bag for them to take home.

"What if we are constipated or have diarrhea, do we still collect?" asked Andrew.

"Yes, you collect regardless, your patients will have all sorts of problems and their stool will vary. Remind me of that one tomorrow, please."

"Do patients ever have to go to the bathroom there at the lab for the specimen.? Stan asked.

"That is a good question, will you please ask it again tomorrow after we get the groups settled. But the answer is no, not for stool. We just can not make people defecate on demand, however so people do go if they can, otherwise they bring the specimen back the next day or two. Now urine specimens are on the spot. If they can't go then you offer them a cup of water and have them wait."

"Will we test our own stool? No offense to anyone." Harold questioned.

"No, you will not. Tomorrow you will provide and group two will test, then they will provide for group three to test and then you will test their specimens. It will be okay, and it is part of your job. You may be in a clinic where people rotate through areas, remind me to mention that tomorrow. Some tech decide that they just don't like drawing or testing blood and volunteer for urine and stool work. You never know."

"Do we have to put our specimens in the fridge overnight? My brothers are so damn nosey."
"That I am going to make you answer as a group. What did you read? And I expect you to share that information with the next group."

They all thought and chatted among themselves and concluded that refrigeration was not necessary. And I agreed. After confirming there were not more questions I shooed them out the door.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.