General Fiction posted March 6, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Both emotional and physical scars.

Tough Love

by aryr


We were just a normal, everyday family. A husband, a wife, a daughter and a son. But that would change.

It was surprising to come home one day and find the boy watching television.
"What are you doing at home? Did school let out early?" I asked.

"Oh, hi mom. Nope school is still there but I am not." He commented with ashes about to fall of the end of the cigarette.

"Now what is that supposed to mean?"

"Well, it is like this. I just found out that I really don't have to go to school. Once I reached the age of 16, it was my choice to go or not. That was a year ago. So, I decided I don't want to go anymore." He took a gulp of pepsi and a long drag on the cigarette.

"I just want to make sure I heard you correctly. You don't want to go to school anymore and according to what you have found out from God knows who, you don't have to." I was trying to remain in control, but I could hear my voice rising slightly.

"Yep, you got it right. Anything else?" He flicked the ashes into the empty can.

"Damn right there is something else. What do you plan to do with yourself? You are just a few months from finishing high school, so what are your plans, Mr. Big Shot?"

Silence.

"You have three choices. One you get up in the morning and get your ass back to school. Your education is so important to you and you are so close to graduation. Two, if you really don't want to go back, then find a job and I want $25.oo a week for room and board. Or three, if neither of those appeal to you, then in 30 days you can pack up and get to hell out. You are not, do you understand me, not going to free load here." I walked away.

I was still in the kitchen, I had not had chance to talk to him, but I smiled, I was so proud that he back me on this.

"I can tell you right now, I am not going back to that damn school. I don't plan on working my ass off to give you guys money, so if I do get a job, I am not paying room and board. So, what do you think of that old man?" He was right up and in his dad's face.

I didn't realize it as I prepared the food, but I had made one of my son's favorite meals. Mac and cheese with peas and cooked ground beef added. We didn't hold hands during grace.

We ate in silence. We were almost done when he asked.

"What? So, you are not going to say anything else about this. You are going to just keep quiet. No yelling, no bitching, no nothing." He threw his hands in the air out of frustration.

"We are not saying another thing." Short and simple.

He shoveled the last three bites into his mouth and left the table.

Every day I was silently praying at work that he was see what was right to do. We all settled into a routine. We had spoken to our daughter, so she knew what was going on, but she offered no advise or suggestions.

On the morning of the 30th day, he had his breakfast and left as usual. I was glad that I had vacation time to take the day off and my husband promised to be home early.

I went to his room, armed with two duffle bags. I gathered up his clothes and put them in the washer and packed the rest of his things. My chest hurt, and tears streamed down my face. He was my son, my baby and I felt so bad.

"We'd like your keys, son. We will advise the front desk that you no longer live here. I am so sorry that it had to come to this. But it is your choice. Here is a hundred dollars and you still have what you have saved from your allowance."


"Wow, you pair are such great parents. You don't really give a f**k what happens to me. It has to be your G**D*** way or no way. And to think I used to love you, well no more. I don't care about you, what you think, what you want. You are both dead to me. Hear me -- dead." He yelled as he threw the keys on the floor, grabbed his bags and left.

I sobbed in my husband's arms.

"Bruce will have his team keep an eye on him from a distance. He will at least be safe. Okay?"

I was given daily updates as to what he was doing. He had spent the first two nights sleeping in an enclosed bus stop. He tried a hostel but apparently had some clothing stolen, including his shoes he was wearing. He had even called his sister, but she didn't have room. She did however provide him a place to shower and have breakfast.

I was concerned about these so-called friends. My son was not aware of their plans when he tagged along. They picked their victim wisely, so they thought. Everyone but my son was armed with a knife of some sort and they attempted to rob the man. They attacked him, and he retaliated. Three of the group of seven died, the others were injured. The man was a retired marine, they didn't have a chance.

My son finally saw wisdom and tried to help the man. He was attacked by one of his own friends. His face was slashed and required a dozen stitches. He came home after being released from the hospital. He carries a physical scar on his face and we his parents carry the emotional scar of what had happened.

All three of us forgave each other. And my son apologized for his angry words. There isn't a day that goes by that he doesn't tell us how much he loves us and that he really needed the tough love.


980 words.




Thank you to VMarguarite for the artwork Enlightenment.
NOTE: There are a couple of cuss words but not enough to tag it or at least that is what I thought.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.