General Poetry posted February 26, 2018 Chapters:  ...53 54 -55- 56... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
An anacronym

A chapter in the book A Potpourri of Poetic Curiosities

Fubar

by CD Richards


Hey, Donald, let me go out on a limb,

and make use of this apt anacronym.

I feel it might describe your policy

on arms, with some degree of clarity.

To turn your teachers into guards is weird,

I think it's down the wrong path you have veered.

And changing ev'ry classroom to a cell

is not something likely to go down well.

To value guns more than you value kids

will really put your nation on the skids.

Please stop at once these actions so bizarre,

before your country's totally fubar.


 




Iambic pentameter.

Today's word:

anacronym (n.) an acronym, the meaning of which is not well known.

The anacronym fubar originated in the US army during WWII. It is an abbreviation of "fouled up beyond all repair", although the word "recognition" is often substituted for "repair", and "fouled" is not the actual word used on the battle field. This, however, is a family site :)

My much-treasured Christmas present for 2017 is a book by Paul Anthony Jones: "The cabinet of linguistic curiosities". Each page contains a descriptive story about some obscure or archaic word. It occurred to me it would be a fun exercise to try and write, each day, a poem featuring the "word of the day" from the book.

Thanks for reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. CD Richards All rights reserved.
CD Richards has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.