General Poetry posted February 27, 2018 Chapters:  ...453 454 -455- 456... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Galloping Denturn

A chapter in the book Little Poems

The Escape

by Treischel



Devils were chasing me hard as the wind all day.
War painted warriors called whoops at the back of me.
Faster, we pushed to the limits, while making way
Heading straight north to the bluffs at the tumbling sea.

Nicked by an arrow, I felt they were reaching me.
Still we were drawing quite close to the narrow cliffs.
Frightened the heights were too high for a place to flee,
seeing the rocks far below make such swirling riffs.

However, ....

There was need to escape from this tribal pursuit,
and much greater desire, as to keeping alive.
So I chose to achieve the most dangerous route.
It's the kind that results in a harrowing dive.

But my horse wasn't happy at sights such as that.
I cajoled, and I coaxed. Had to finally scold.
Then at last my steed crouched like a leaping tomcat,
as we splashed, yet unharmed, in the sea. Oh so cold!







This is another picture I took at the sculpture garden, located in Minnetrista, Minnesota. These artworks aren't labeled in any way, but are left to the viewer's imagination. This was mine.

Route is pronounce in an American vernacular that rhymes with "root" or "shoot,"
rather than the British, which would rhyme with "shout" or "pout."

The poem is a Galloping Denturn.
The GALLOPING DENTURN is a poetry form invented by Dennis William Turner, writing on the All Poetry website. So you can guess the derivation of "Denturn."
It is comprised of two DACTYLIC Tetrameter Quatrains stating a point of view. A Dactyl consists of a 3 syllable foot. So a Tetrameter has four feet, or 12 syllables, with a hard stress on the first syllable, followed by 2 unstressed (Dum-da -da).

This is followed by a stand-alone one, two or three syllable word or phrase. For example: but -unless -but then - although - until, - however etc.,
Providing the TURN.

The concluding two Quatrains, are written in ANAPESTIC Tetrameter, to make the argument, (emphasized by the change of meter). Anapestic meter is the opposite of Dactylic. It starts with 2 unstressed syllables followed by a stressed one, per foot (da-da-Dum).

The Galloping aspect comes from the 3 syllable feet of both meters, which are more flowing than the 2 syllable foot of an Iambic Meter. So I guess a Denturn written in Iambic Tetrameter would be called a Marching Denturn, and have 8 syllable lines.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on September 30, 2017.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.