Romance Fiction posted February 18, 2018 Chapters:  ...63 64 -65- 66... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana and Anderson talk.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Zwanzig part zwei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Sounds good. Shana?" Anderson's eyes met hers. She's been silent all afternoon. I wonder what happened. I missed something.

Shana glanced toward Hannah and then released a deep breath. "We'll walk out with Papa and Momma."

"Good. I wanted to ask Benjamin if we could visit with them tomorrow afternoon and maybe have dinner together. I'll have it delivered."

"What?" Shana's eyes widened. "Are you asking for trouble?"

"You heard me." Anderson grinned.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 20 part 2

As the limousine took them to the airport, Anderson released a deep breath. "My purpose for inviting myself to your parents' house wasn't for them to go to a huge hassle. I'm happy providing dinner."

"You should've checked with me. I could've told you there was no way they would've allowed you to do that. They'd see it as an insult." Shana smiled. "Momma and Grandmother will be up half the night preparing all the family favorites. Why did you decide to visit with them?"

"I felt I owed it to your dad. I respect him and understand how hard this has been on him."

*****
While the jet prepared to land, Shana's eyes met Anderson's. "I'll prepare tonight's dinner."

"No, you won't. Helen doesn't allow me in her kitchen. So I look forward to the opportunity to prepare food. You wouldn't deny me that, would you?"

"But in a small way it would be me saying thank you for everything you've done for my family and me."

"Seeing you smile is all the thanks I need."

The pink tinge to Shana's cheeks turned darker, as the pilot said, "Fasten your seat belts."

*****
Inside the condo, Shana followed Anderson to the kitchen.

"Why don't you rest until dinner's ready?" Anderson leaned against the counter.

"I thought if I followed you around and made a pest of myself you'd allow me to do something."

Anderson laughed. "A side of Shana I've never seen." He thought a moment. "Or has my daughter rubbed off on you?"

Shana tilted her head. "Will it work?"

"Probably not. I know the plan. Plans have a better chance of working if the victim isn't aware there's a plan."

"Is that your business philosophy?"

"No. I bowl the opponent over with my boldness and straightforwardness. That takes them by surprise each time. They're not used to honesty." Anderson opened the refrigerator and peeked inside.

"That's a sad statement about our society."

"You're right."

"What's on the menu?"

"I'm trying to decide. I gave Marc a few suggestions for groceries and I'm seeing what he bought." Anderson held up a package of steak. "This sound all right, with twice baked potato, and asparagus?" He turned and opened a cupboard. "I'd better make sure there are potatoes."

"Can I at least do dessert?"

Anderson opened the freezer. "I have ice cream. I thought maybe banana splits."

"Emily would be so jealous."

"I know." He grinned.

As dinner ended, Anderson received a phone call. "Philip, how's things in New York?" He listened for a few minutes and then took the phone from his ear. "Shana, I'm sorry, but I need to take this. It's business. It might take a while." He grabbed his laptop and headed toward his room. "Leave everything as is and I'll clean up later."

Shana cleaned the kitchen and then stood at the window watching gentle raindrops glisten in the streetlights. She heard Anderson's voice but couldn't make out the words. Finally, she went to her room and took 'King Lear' from her suitcase. She curled up on the corner of the couch and read, writing notes in the margins. She checked the teacher's addition.

The King of France and Duke of Burgundy are at King Lear's court, awaiting his decision as to which of them will marry Cordelia. Lear calls them in and tells them Cordelia no longer has any title or land. The Duke of Burgundy withdraws his marriage offer, but the King of France is impressed by Cordelia's honesty and decides to make her his queen. King Lear sends Cordelia away without his blessing.

Shana stared at the page. Would or could a father really disown his daughter, his own flesh and blood. Tears welled in her eyes as she whispered, "Would my father?"

*****
Hours later, Anderson walked into the living room, saw Shana reading, and glanced at his watch. "Sweetheart, it's really late. Why didn't you go to bed?"

She glanced toward the bedroom and chewed on her bottom lip before answering, "I'm afraid to sleep."

Anderson paused. "Let's see what I can do to help." He opened the front door and called, "Marc, can you come here for a minute?"

"What are you doing?" Shana slammed the book closed and crossed her arms over her chest. "I don't want everybody knowing." She stood to leave.

Touching Shana's arm, Anderson said, "You don't trust me, yet, do you?"

"Yes, Mr. Sharp, how can I help?" Marc stood in the doorway.

"I've got a gut feeling. I just wanted to check on security. Where's everybody placed?"

"I'm at your door. Another man's at the elevator. He rides it up and down when people use it. Two men are outside securing the perimeter."

"I thought Jeff made sure security cameras were on line. Who's monitoring them?"

"You know Jeff. He wouldn't leave that job go to just anybody. He's doing it himself."

"Thank you. I'll call and see if he's seen anything."

After Marc left, Anderson closed and locked the door. He took out his phone. "Hey, Jeff. Anything showing up on the monitors?"

"Nope, everything's quiet. Why? Do you think something's up?"

"Not really. Just wanted to make sure." Anderson moved the cell to his other ear. "Any way we can see the monitors?"

"Sure, is your computer up? I can send you the link. This must be really important. You're not normally this interested in security. Since you said 'we', I'm guessing Shana's close by. Want to fill me in on what's going on?"

"It's nothing, really, just curious."

"Sure. You always have a reason for everything." Jeff was silent a moment and then said, "You should be able to see what each camera sees."

"I can. Thank you."

Shana screamed as Anderson scanned the room. "Jeff, the lights just went out. What's going on?"

"Don't know, let me check it. I'll need some time."

"Hurry, I doubt we have time."








*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*

Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria

Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.





Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of King Lear's daughters. I think maybe this is the wrong book for Shana to be reading right now. LOL Again, thank you for all the support you give my writing. This is a little longer than my normal posts. I hope you don't mind.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.