Mystery and Crime Fiction posted February 14, 2018 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rachel uncovers the truth.

A chapter in the book Bittersweet Revenge

Teary Farewell

by Mistydawn


Rachel and Sheri have been traveling through the curvy roads for what seems like a lifetime. Rachel has come up with several ways to get out of this mess, but with a gun pressed against her head, she figures it's best not to attempt any heroic measures. Family or not, one screw up and she's toast. Rachel glares at her abductor through the mirror.

"Pull in here," Sheri says, pointing to an old, rundown motel on their right.

This looks like where Emma and I grew up. Remembering the high crime rate, she nervously scans her surroundings. The only thing she sees is a bunch of trash blowing across the weather-beaten roads. Everyone is probably sleeping off their drunken-stupors. She relaxes a little.

"Here is fine."

Whipping her car into a small space, she turns off the engine.

"Get out of the car nice and slow, no sudden movements, got it?"

Rachel nods as she opens her door.

Sheri grabs Rachel's arm and leads her towards the motel; a gun pressed into her back.

"This way and don't try any funny stuff either." She pushes her gun in harder.

Rachel winces from the pain. "I got it, I got it, no funny stuff."

"Good." Sheri smiles.

Rachel sees her mother and Emma sitting side by side when she walks into their room. A surge of mixed emotions paralyzes her as she tearfully watches the duo.

A part of her wants Jeanie to wrap her loving arms around her; the way she did when she was little. The other half wants to yell at her for lying and for hurting her the way she did.

What if Jerry is right about me being in danger and this is a trap? They wouldn't hurt me, would they? We're family, after all.

Rachel recalls the horrid pictures Joe showed her at the station. Should I trust them after what they did to those men? Probably not, but I want to hear what they have to say. So the best thing to do would be to figure out a way to escape. She remembers the pepper spray hidden in her jacket. She reaches into her pocket and starts feeling for the small canister. She then notices her Aunt Sheri holding a gun. Trying to protect myself with mace against a gun would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight, but it's all I got. She anxiously steps in the doorway.

"Rachel," Emma exclaims, jumping off the bed, she runs over and hugs her. "I've missed you so much." Emma hugs her again.

All of Rachel's bottled up emotions turn to rage. "If you missed me that much why didn't you come see me?" She pushes her away.

"What's wrong with you, Rachel? Aren't you glad to see us?" Emma tearfully questions.

Ignoring Emma, Rachel turns towards her mother. "Why did you lie to me, Mom? Huh, why? Do you know how many years I mourned for you? How many nights I cried myself to sleep? Well, do you? I had to see a damn shrink because of what you did to me." Rachel steps towards her Aunt. "You've got some nerve making us care for Emma knowing damn well we couldn't care for ourselves. We went days without eating, months without electricity, or water because of you. And you Emma, you had me worried sick, thinking you're in the hands of a killer. As far as I'm concerned you're dead to me; each and every one of you, dead, and I hope all of you rot in hell." Turning around, Rachel heads towards the door.

Jeanie grabs a hold of Rachel's hand.

"Leave me alone." Rachel jerks her hand away.

"Please Rachel, please let me explain." She grabs her hand again.

"I said leave me alone." Rachel pushes her mom, she falls to the floor.

Running over, Sheri slams the door closed. "I'll have you know this woman has been through hell for you."

"Hell for me, oh, that's a laugh."

Jeanie tearfully glances up from the floor. "It's ok, Sheri, let her go. It's probably for the best anyhow," she sobs, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"No, she needs to know what's going on." Grabbing Rachel's arm, Sheri spins her around. "You listen here missy, and you listen good. Your mom gave up everything she's ever known and loved just to keep you and Emma safe."

"She should've kept us safe from those perverts instead of doing her drugs."

Jeanie walks towards her. "That's one thing I'll always regret, Rachel." She glances down at the floor.

"Why did you do it, Mom, huh? Why did you fake your death?"

"Sheri and I did what we did because Carlos and his gang threatened to kill us if we didn't pay our debt. We tried to come up with the money, we really did, but I just couldn't get enough. So Sheri and I faked our deaths knowing DFS would take you someplace safe, out of Carlos' reach."

"Why didn't you tell the police what was going on?"

"And have all of Carlos' gang after us?"

"Why did you come back now, fifteen years later?"

"Carlos and his gang threatened you and Emma's life." Jeanie grabs her sister's hand before continuing, "Tired of their threats, Sheri and I decided to take care of them once and for all."

"So all the men you killed were from Carlos' gang?"

"I'm afraid so, sweetheart."

"Why did you go after dad, he was never a part of that gang?"

"We took care of him because he refused to help us."

Rachel is trying to make sense of what she's been told when another question comes to mind. "Who actually did the killings?"

"The cops are here," Emma exclaims. She runs to a loose plank in the center of the room and pulls it to the right; exposing a set of stairs beneath it. "Let's go, let's go," Emma yells, hustling down the steps.

Jeanie takes Rachel's hands in hers. "I hope someday you'll find it in your heart to forgive me for everything I've done. Just know that I love you, Rachel, now and forever, and I did it all for you."

Rachel wasn't sure what to say. So many years have passed, so much has changed. Should she believe her, forgive her for what she did, or should she just forget them, like they did her?

"I'm so sorry Rachel, I'm sorry for everything I've ever done." Jeanie sobs.

"We've got to go." Sheri grabs Jeanie's arm and pulls her down the stairs, then reaches up to close the hatch.

"Wait, you didn't answer me. Who killed those men?"

"We all did." Smiling, Sheri closes the lid.

So long mom. Rachel tearfully steps out the door. She hears Joe's voice behind her as she reaches her car.

"So you're a part of this after all."

She wipes the tears from her face as she spins around. "I'm a part of what, I don't know what you're talking about?"

"You have something to do with the murders after all, don't you, Rachel?" He steps in front of her.

"I was cleared of those last night, remember?" She reaches for her door; Joe steps in the way.

"So you're telling me it's just a coincidence that you happen to be at the same motel your Aunt is staying in?"

"I don't know where you two are getting this aunt thing from since everyone knows she's been dead for years."

"Why are you at the motel then, huh?"

Rachel crosses her arms in front of her. "If you must know, I came to see my friend Debbie in 114."

"This Debbie character, she'll say she saw you?"

"Ask her." She gestures across the parking lot.

Joe grabs the keys out of her hands and then glances around. "Hey, Kirk, make sure she doesn't go anywhere."

"Yes, Sir." He walks over to them.

She climbs into her car and grabs her phone off the dash. I need to give Debbie a heads up about what's going on. Holding the phone down at her side, Rachel sends a quick message. I hope she reads it before Joe gets there. She nervously watches as he steps inside. I hope she lies, I hope she lies, she thinks, staring intensely at her friend's door.

A few minutes later, she sees the detective walking towards her.

"I still think your story sounds fishy, Rachel."

"Am I free to go?" she asks, trying to take her keys from his hands.

Joe eyes her suspiciously as he hands them over. "For now."

Starting her car Rachel pulls away. We're all a little safer, now. She tearfully pulls out of the lot.


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.