General Fiction posted February 14, 2018 Chapters:  ...142 143 -144- 145... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a short story

A chapter in the book Worlds

Cockroach World 10

by Bill Schott


Ronald went searching for the source of the scratching sound in the walls.

It had kept him tossing and turning all evening. That, along with screaming and sobbing, occasionally interspersed with gurgling and bones cracking, created an attack of noise through which the dead could not have slept.

In the hallway, darkness robbed his sight, making the negotiation of the body-strewn passageway difficult.

Nearing the stairway, he sensed that there was someone behind him. Turning, he saw the giant cockroach. It stood upright, it's antennae scraping the ceiling.

"You woke me up, Constance."

The chided bug, adopting a sheepish grin, produced three severed heads and began juggling them.

"You're adorable, Connie. Who could stay angry with you? Please make sure to clean up afterwards."

Returning to bed, Ronald fell off to sleep, never dreaming that in a parallel universe, he and Constance would be enemies. She might invade homes and carry dangerous bacteria throughout. He could work as an exterminator, eliminating such pests.

The scratching on the walls was not as irritating now, and most of the whimpering had ended.

 




Image from Google, and the film Mimic.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.