Romance Fiction posted February 11, 2018 Chapters:  ...62 63 -64- 65... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana faces gossiping nurses.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Zwanzig part eins

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I've figured that out. What I haven't figured out is how to get around the Jewish -- Gentile issue." Anderson shook his head. "Any ideas? How did you do it?"

"I didn't. I stayed close and available until Hannah decided she loved me too much to let it stand between us." Paul chuckled. "You may have a longer wait. Shana's ten times more stubborn than Hannah, and she was brought up in an extremely devout Jewish home."

"I haven't seen the stubborn side of Shana. Are you saying it may be impossible?"

"I didn't say that. I haven't missed the way she looks at you. I doubt it's been unnoticed by Uncle Benjamin either."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 20 part 1

After Anderson provided lunch, he received a text and grinned. "Good, the one we've all been waiting for. Mary will arrive in about ten minutes. I'll go to the main doors and wait."

Shana and Hannah blushed as they overheard two nurses discuss Anderson.

"Did you notice him walk away? He wears Armani suits and cowboy boots. Those suits are expensive. I've heard one suit costs over two thousand dollars. He had a different one on yesterday. I bet he's not from around here."

"Do you think he could be a real cowboy? Imagine him in a pair of regular tight fitting jeans. Hmmm. My heart be still."
She placed her hand to her chest.

"You got that right. I've noticed there's no ring or ring indention on his finger. Can he really be available? I thought all the good ones were taken."

"He spends a lot of time with the Jacobs' family. Think he's Jewish?"


A third nurse walked up. "He comes and goes with that girl who got grabbed yesterday. Think they're an item?"

"Maybe he's her security. I'd like him for my security. Do you think she's anybody important?"


Shana stood, adjusted her blouse, and walked over to them. "I'm nobody important, he's not Jewish, and he's available. His name's Anderson Sharp." She turned and walked to the bathroom.

Hannah watched and then muttered, "What just happened? I'd better go after her." When Hannah walked in, she saw Shana sitting on a bench crying. "What's wrong?"

Shana turned away.

"It's me. Your best friend since we were born. Start talking." Hannah took a tissue from her purse and offered it. "Do you want me to start guessing like I did when we were kids?"

"There's nothing to guess about." Shana blew her nose.

"Okay, I'll take it from here. You're in love with Mr. Sharp but feel you're way out of his league because he's a millionaire."

"He's a billionaire, and divorced, and has a five-year-old daughter, and NOT Jewish."

"So? Sounds to me like a lot of excuses and no logical reasons." Hannah smiled. "Paul's not Jewish, and we've made it work. You can too. If you love and respect each other's culture, you can make it work." She put her arm around Shana's shoulders. "He respects our culture. I've witnessed it. He has the utmost respect for you. He's in love with you. I've seen it in his eyes. You'd have to be crazy not to see it, too." She paused. "Why's he divorced?"

"He married a woman who just wanted money and social status. He's filed for custody of his daughter. She's sweet and way too worldly for her age. Drew doesn't like that."

"Is he a good father?"

"Very good." Shana faced her friend. "I'm not even close to his societal status."

"Is societal even a word?" Hannah laughed. "What does it even mean?"

Shana shook her head. "His name's on the society page of the New York City paper. He's one of the most eligible bachelors in New York City, probably the US. People line up just to meet him."

She dried her tears. "ME? I'm a first year high school English teacher and spend my time reading or in the library. He pays almost as much in monthly child support and alimony as I make in an entire year. Can you imagine what Papa would say?" She tapped the side of her thigh. "Not only that, he wears Armani suits. I buy my clothes off the Goodwill rack."

They turned their heads at a knock on the door. "Hannah, Shana. Are you two all right?"

"Paul's concerned. I'd better go." Hannah took Shana's hand. "Are you going to be all right?"

"Yes. Go to your husband. Sarah may need you. I'll be out in a minute." Shana watched her friend leave the bathroom and then splashed water on her face.

Moments later, Shana stepped from the bathroom. "Shana, are you all right?" asked Anderson.

Hannah caught his eye, shook her head, and mouthed, "Not now."

He nodded. "Paul, Hannah, I'd like to introduce Mary Pritchard. Mary, this is Paul and Hannah Jacobs."

Mary took both Hannah's hands in hers and smiled. "I'm glad to meet you. I'm sorry it has to be under these circumstances. I can't wait to meet Sarah."

Paul motioned toward the tables. "We seem to have this table reserved. Let's sit and talk." He glanced up. "There's Uncle Benjamin and Aunt Eliana. Good, his wisdom will be welcomed." He waved toward them.

*****

As it began getting dark, Benjamin said, "It's time for the elderly among us to go home. I don't see as well driving after dark anymore. The lights from other cars blind me."

"Mary, you can spend the night at the condo. There's plenty of room," offered Anderson.

"No. I'll stay with Hannah and Paul. If this arrangement is going to work, we'll need to feel completely comfortable with each other."

"Sounds good. Shana?" Anderson's eyes met hers. She's been silent all afternoon. I wonder what happened. I missed something.

Shana glanced toward Hannah and then released a deep breath. "We'll walk out with Papa and Momma."

"Good. I wanted to ask Benjamin if we could visit with them tomorrow afternoon and maybe have dinner together. I'll have it delivered."

"What?" Shana's eyes widened. "Are you asking for trouble?"

"You heard me." Anderson grinned.






*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*

Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria

Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.









Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a gossiping nurse. I am NOT trashing nurses. They are wonderful people and a great service to humanity, but just like any other profession there can be gossipers in that profession.

I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I do value every suggestion. Again, thank you for taking time to read and review.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.