Mystery and Crime Fiction posted February 12, 2018 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The detectives search for their killer.

A chapter in the book Bittersweet Revenge

A Break in the Case

by Mistydawn


I want to apologize to my readers. I promised this would be the last chapter, but it was so long I had to split it up. I promise the ending will be well worth the wait.
I want to thank all my devoted readers. Your help and support mean the world to me, take care.


 Joe sees Jerry working at his desk when he walks into the squad room. He then notices all the unoccupied desks that surround him. It won't stay quiet for long. Enjoying this rare moment of solitude a few seconds longer, he plops his things on his desk.

"Morning, Boss." Jerry smiles, glancing up from his screen.

Joe looks up at the clock. "You're here early, Jerr."

"I never left this place."

"Why didn't you go home last night?"

"I figured I'd stay in our bunks save me a little travel time, catch a few more z's."

"Living closer to town would save you a lot of time, a ton of expense and wear and tear on your car."

"I know it would, Boss, but that house holds so many precious memories, I just don't think I can part with it, at least not yet." He starts to recall all the fun times he and his family shared. Why did gangers have to shoot them too? It just isn't fair, it's not fair. Jerry tears up.

"Those memories will be stored up here no matter where you go." Joe taps the top of Jerry's head.

"It won't be the same, Boss."

I'm not sure I could leave our family home after such a devastating loss. "I understand, Bud, I really do." He pats Jerry on the back.

"Thanks, Joe." He wipes tears from his cheek.

"Has forensics found anything useful?"

"Just DNA from the crowbar."

"They're still claiming it's Jeanie's, correct?"

"They ran it twice to be sure, on the flip side of that, vital records have her death certificate on file."

"How can a dead woman be our murderer? That just doesn't make sense." Joe plops down at his desk.

"It would if she has a twin."

Joe springs forward. "Jeanie has a twin?"

"Her name is Sheri."

Joe tries to recall what Rachel had told him about her family history. "Sheri, Sheri, she's Emma's mom, right?"

"That's correct, Boss."

Joe scratches his head. "I thought she died too."

"Everyone assumed she was dead, but her body was never recovered."

"So Sheri comes back and kills these men for what they did to her daughter?"

"That's what I'm thinking, Boss. I have an APB out on her and her car. I've informed public transportation to be on the lookout. Kurt and his crew are calling motels in the near vicinity, and we're increasing police presence."

"Great work, Jerry."

"Thanks, Boss." Jerry smiles.

***

Rachel is walking down the stairwell when her neighbor's door creaks open. I was hoping he wasn't home. Maybe I can still avoid him if I hurry. Hustling across the lobby, she reaches for the door.

"I'm glad you're alright," he says, stepping in the hall.

Her hand freezes on the knob. I was so close to freedom, she thinks, glancing out at the bright morning sun. OK, I'll be polite, say a few words, and go. She slowly turns around. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"I saw the police escorting you out your door."

Not wanting everyone to know her business, she hurries up the stairs. "Oh that, it's all just one big misunderstanding." She laughs, twirling back around.

"What kind of misunderstanding?"

I should've known he wouldn't let me get away that easy. She turns to face him. "They thought I was the Berryville widow maker. Me, can you believe it?" She laughs.

"They thought you killed all those men? That's totally insane." Randy chuckles.

"Tell me about it. Then, after a brutal interrogation, they have the nerve to ask for my help."

"Someone needs to step in, help them with this case. Especially if they're desperate enough to believe that you're a killer."

"I know, right?" Rachel laughs.

"I hope you told them where to go."

"My lawyer threatened to file a lawsuit if they didn't leave me alone."

"I bet the detectives were more than happy to let you go then."

"They even held the door for me." Rachel glances at her watch. "I hate to cut this short, but I have a lot to do before work."

"Later, Rachel."

"Later, Randy." She sees Jerry standing in the doorway when she turns to leave. What does he want now?

"We need to have a little talk, Rachel."

"I have nothing left to say to you or anyone else in your damn department," she says, walking towards the entrance.

Jerry blocks the door. "You really need to hear this; it could mean a matter of life or death."

Rachel glances at the door and then her watch. What I wouldn't give to be outside about now. "I'm in a bit of a rush." She tries to sidestep around him; Jerry steps in her way.

"We believe your Aunt might be our murderer."

"My Aunt, are you being serious right now?" She searches his face for a hint of humor, but he doesn't smile. "This is some type of cruel joke, right?"

"I'm not kidding you, Rachel."

"You know as well as anyone that she's been dead for years."

"We have proof that she's alive and that she's our killer."

"Like the supposed proof you had with me? I think you and Joe need to go back to school, learn how to solve a case. Better yet, why don't you two clowns do all of us a favor and quit police work altogether."

"Tell him like it is, Rachel." The crowd cheers.

Rachel turns to see a group of neighbors gathering on the balcony. Now everyone knows my family history, thanks to these damn cops. Angrier than ever, Rachel spins around. "Either step aside or I'll report you to your captain." She pulls a phone out of her pocket. "Don't think I won't." She punches in a few numbers.

He hesitantly moves out of her way. "Please be careful, Rachel."

She storms through the door. Trying to blame my dead Aunt for these murders what are they thinking? Evidently, they're not. That's what's wrong with this damn city; a bunch of retards are running the place. I'm sure dad will get this investigation in order once he gets back to work. Hopefully, before someone else dies. She puts her key in the ignition as she nervously glances around. Maybe I should give dad a heads up about what's going on; so he can set them straight before the murderer strikes again. She starts to pull onto the street when she sees a reflection in her mirror. Frightened, Rachel spins around. "Aunt Sheri?"

"Yes honey, it's me." She leans towards the front of the car.

"I...I don't understand? I thought you were ..."

"Dead?"

Rachel shakes her head.

Sheri smiles. "That was purposely done."

"Why would you do such a horrible thing to us, to your daughter, Emma?"

"I'll be happy to explain everything to you when we get away from the cop." She points towards the apartments.

Rachel glances towards the building and then at her Aunt. Is Jerry right? Did my Aunt kill those men like he claims? Could he be right about my safety too? No, that's ridiculous; Aunt Sheri would never hurt me. She has no reason to.

"We need to get out of here before the cop comes out."

Rachel remains frozen, trying to figure out what she should do.

Lifting a gun over the seat, Sheri pushes it against Rachel's head. "Do it now, or else." She cocks her weapon.

Rachel looks at the building one last time before pulling away.
 



Book of the Month contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.