General Poetry posted February 10, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Contemplation when one is grappling for a word not invented.

Only One Word

by Mike K2

Only One Word
By Michael W Kohlman


So rare is it when a definition, a state of being slips by,
without a part of speech to assign, without a word
that could be bestowed. You know exactly how to define it,
to experience it, but not to explain with a word so everyone will know…
So that in an instant everyone will know exactly what you mean,
yet missing with escape… Only one word.
 
To experience at that very moment, that split second of
first glancing at her; feeling that you have known of her
for all your life; not in familiarity but soul, with ethereal
dimension, heavenly distinction …
That possession of a glance, not unnoticed, not punished,
a few glances are perceived as well, and when mutually caught… That only one word.
 
Her comfortable, yet regal placement, her elegance and comportment;
only creates a sense of his failings as if the richest man, you could
pay any demanded price for a couple hours of such blessing a day.
Your mind travels back in time, and imagine every epoch, society and challenge…
Your turn to read, you know you got the title out, but you stutter through
the verse thinking, did he look at her and say, “Left wanting for only one word?”
 
Forever existing in his mind, a scrapbook of glimpses her soul slips in,
a photo album of those glimpses, and seconds of snowy film clips of her
contributions; every one of them coveted and archived for when he
decides to walk through the museum he has created for her…
He wants minutes, hours, days, weeks months, years and
from the little that exists knows the definition but not that only one word.
 
He wants to tell her just how special she really is and has become,
but fearful of the created fears, misunderstood intentions, accused
motives that he has suffered from in the past; as he never wants
to lose the chance of another gift of a treasure to behold.
Perhaps she realizes something is wrong when she glimpses at him,
but the smile returned is in hopes she too can feel and think only one word.
 
Just her sporadic presence has not only soothed over the hurt created,
by life’s cheating him of fine loves, and a legion of bad women who only
saw him as a problem to eradicate or as a toy. He imagines a life, starting
with chance time and a dinner, he can state his reasons for desiring her…
But for the argument of why she should be with him, he fears he
can make a better case for every other available man in the room.
 
He is not deaf and loves every snippet he hears,
but he is dumb as he can’t articulate or invent that word.
So he settles for such a much distant second word, “Beautiful!”



 




I have been invited to submit to a book being written about the various groups that meet in Baltimore as well offer a couple of stories. The only group worth risking life and limb in Baltimore is the Baltimore Poetry Discussion Group which has been meeting over 20 years.

In my case the stories will be, â??Poetry and the Paranormal,â?? where a poetry discussion of a Scottish poet helped me to identify ethereal music that was song in thin air. Amazingly we had a member able to say the poem in Scotts language (Gaelic), but when he talked about the language it created an anti-Semitic ruckus, as he mentioned the language is Germanic in origin. It neither mattered that it was true or that the person was Jewish themselves, but amazingly what I learned was the biggest help in that paranormal investigation.

The second is titled, â??Caught red handed! Inspiration, offended sensibilities and poetry.â?? It is a story how one can feel shame, not by the actual behavior, but the inference that was created. That discussion group topic was about the poetry of Delmore Schwartz and a reading of, â??A Dream Of Whitman Paraphrased, Recognized And Made More Vivid By Renoir.â??

The poem talks about a nude photoshoot of lovely ladies on a beach and a 30 year old millionaire who is watching them from behind the curtains, also referred his dungeon. The they following stanza was read:

â??Where is he going?
Is he going to be among them to splash and to laugh with them?
They did not see him although he saw them and was there among them.
He saw them as he would not have seen them had they been conscious
Of him or conscious of men in complete depravation:
This is his enchantment and impoverishment
As he possesses them in gaze only.â??

I knew the expression that my face just made as well, it didnâ??t escape observation, so I looked at her and smiled, then at the floor and silently laughed to myselfâ?¦ Trying not to cry. I felt nothing but absolute shame, but I wasnâ??t thinking anything bad, but that the poem affected my sensibilities and the thought I might be put into that category.

I penned this poem essentially to show that many men are better than the caricature created for the poem as well having other reasons for not coming forth, making his feeling known. I also wanted to insert the fear that he fears losing what he has come to appreciate, even if it was rather small in proportion to what he would love to have.

It is not easy for me to write attributable poetry because it has had such a punitive effect on my life. My fist poem might be cataloged in the George Bush Presidential Library but every copy was removed from my house and it cost $200.00 to get a copy from the Library of Congress.

My second managed to get my salary cut, and I believe the real purpose was, â??Now you have to cancel going to the poetry convention.â?? Well I starved there, but what a wacky adventure it was. Third time was a charm and I was banned from a museum in Baltimore, and had no feeling of any relationship, but simply wanted to honor a person that touch me. Well it might have saved my life as one of the people that robbed and stabbed me (a simple flesh wound) saw me the week before and I had the feeling that if they saw me again would kill me. A short time later, I IDed them as they were involved in a high profile stabbing murder at Baltimoreâ??s Inner Harbor.

I saw this poem in the form of a sestina, but decided not to be encumbered with all of the word rules and order. I did attempt that with a theme of each line, but not to the extent that it would interfere with the message or mood that I wanted to create.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.