Fantasy Fiction posted February 11, 2018 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Nara gets ready to go on a trail ride with her new friends.

A chapter in the book Legend Chasers

Trail Ride Preparations

by davisr (Rhonda)



Background
Nara Baker, history teacher and escapee from heartache in the cold north, takes a job in rural Sagerton, Texas. There, she finds more mystery and intrigue than she bargained for.
End of Chapter 4:

Nara allowed herself to be drawn to the next room. She was pleased to see there were no more fantasy paintings past Riley's reading class. This door was a simple maple, covered in sketches of machines and mathematical equations. Here was actually an anchor in all the mystical madness.

The door creaked open.

"Well, hello," came two synchronized voices. "Come in."

Nara halted in mid-stride. There before her were two identical men. They were tall, tawny headed, and sported piercing blue eyes. Slowly, as though caught in a time warp, Nara turned and looked at Hank. A lopsided grin lit his face.

"Miss Nara, I would like you to meet my brothers, Henry and Harry."

"Oh dear, please tell me there aren't three of you."



Chapter 5:

Nara looked across one of several pastures found at the ranch. Like the others, it was dotted with small bushes barely holding onto the windswept soil. Crooked mesquite trees groaned in the wispy wind as though in protest to life itself.

If not for a pedantic row of round bales of hay lining a fenced area, Nara would have wondered how the cattle survived at all.

Tied on a rail close to the barn, stood three horses, saddled, bridled and ready to ride. The one closest was a paint, his glistening body erect and lively despite the draining heat. He nodded a noble head at Nara, as though inviting her to join in a timeless ride across the prairie.

A brown mare stood in the center. Her broad hips and powerful shoulders seemed meant more for work than recreation, and her strong face looked wise and caring. Her gentle head bobbed up and down in time with the eternal song of the savanna.

The third steed was rather bland in comparison to his companions. Smaller than the other two, he had a dingy black coat and dirty white socks. His head drooped, and Nara was certain she saw him throw her a contemptuous frown.

"Well," she said, "you must be my ride."

"He is," a quite human voice said.

Nara visibly jumped at the sound.

"Oh my," she said. "I thought I was alone."

"That doesn't happen around here often," a young man said. He stepped from behind the brown horse where he had been bent over checking her hooves.

"Harry," Nara said, holding out a hand to shake. "You're the science teacher."

"Yes, and yes. How did you know which one I am? There are people who've been here for years that can't tell us apart."

"I pay attention to details."

"Like?"

"Like you lean your head to the left when you talk, and Henry leans to the right. Were you two conjoined?"

"No, but we have a habit of standing close to each other."

"You to the left, and he to the right?"

"I guess so."

"Hank doesn't lean at all. He stands upright, almost as though on constant alert."

"He can be a bit jumpy, at times."

"I'm guessing there's a story behind that," Nara said.

"Many. Anyway, I'm surprised at how observant you are. I'd expect that from, well, me. I'm a scientist. You're a history buff."

"My degree is in communications," Nara explained. "We learn all sorts of strange things, like how to observe microexpressions to pick up on subtle communication. I was planning on becoming a news reporter."

"Oh, you and Riley have lots in common, then."

"No, my stories were real. Besides, I changed my mind after a year of it and went into teaching history. It was my second love."

"Love is a peculiar thing," Harry said. "It tends to get in the way of logical thinking."

"You don't sound like your brother."

"Hank? Yeah, he's a hopeless romantic. If he bothers you, pop him in the head and threaten to tell me."

"He's scared of you?"

"I don't think he's scared of anyone, but he'll do what I say."

"Are you the oldest?"

"Nope, the baby."

"But you're the one in charge?"

"I guess. You ready to go riding?"

"Sure," Nara said. "Who's going with us?"

"Henry. He'll be here as soon as he's finished packing our lunch. Hank would go, too, but he's getting his students ready for the art show in Haskell."

"Yeah, he told me about that. Hey, I have a question for you."

Harry stopped and looked at her. His clear blue eyes shown with inner curiosity. Even though more reserved than his roguish older triplet, there was still a twinkle of mischief in those baby blues.

"Yes?"

"Why do you and your brothers have the same name? I mean, even I know Harry, Henry and Hank are all variations of the name Henry. Did your parents have no imagination?"

Harry burst out laughing. It was a happy sound that seemed to resonate from deep inside where a wealth of fiery joy resided. It made Nara smile, too.

"Those are just nicknames," he explained, trying to compose his face. "Riley couldn't tell us apart at first, so he just started calling all of us Henry. Eventually, he switched to variations of the name. They sort of stuck."

"So, what are your real names?"

"Hades, Poseidon and Zeus," came a voice Nara couldn't miss. Walking out of the barn was Hank, leading a large sable stallion.

The horse was magnificent. Long blue, black hair flowed like ebony lava across his face and down his sweeping, arched neck. His tail, equally as dark, flicked back and forth as though trying to contain an inner energy begging to bubble out.

"Let me guess which one's Hades," Nara said. Her eyes had turned toward Hank, their expression mixed between disgust and pleasure.

"Hank, what're you doing?" Harry asked. "I thought you and the kids were working on art projects."

"We were, but decided we needed a diversion more than we needed more time working." Hank looked at Nara. "Hi, Darlin'."

He reached over as he walked past and and pinched her arm playfully.

A cutting remark halted on her lips as she saw a band of students march out of the barn door, their horses following close behind. At the end of the procession, were Henry and Riley, carrying picnic baskets.

"You don't mind a little company, do you?" Harry asked.

"Do I have a choice?"

"My dear, you always do."

"I disagree. I didn't have a choice when my mother left me in a basket in a public laundry room. I didn't have a choice when I was shifted from foster home to foster home as a child, and I didn't have a choice when my boyfriend traded me for my best friend."

Nara's hands flew to her mouth as her face blanched.

"I am so sorry," she said. "I don't know where that came from."

Hank, still close enough to touch her, rested a hand on her arm.

"I think your soul is peeking out from behind your frozen heart, my Dear."

Nara's eyes shifted to the unfortunately charismatic Hank, and caught a quick, sympathetic wink.

"I think it's time to go riding before I die of embarrassment," she said, the wink causing her heart to race in spite of her personal reservations.

"I'll take over from here," Harry said. He smiled as he took Nara by the hand and led her to the dingy horse that would serve as her mount for the trail ride.



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


A special thanks for the artwork, "Saguaro #4" by Paul G. on FanArtReview.com


The following is a list of characters:

Nara Baker: House Mother, History Teacher

Hank: Art teacher at the school. Middle child in a set of triplets.
Harry: Hank's triplet brother. Teachers science. Youngest of the three
Henry: The third, and oldest of the triplets. He teaches technology.

Boarding School Director: Miss Barbara Eddins

Old Man: Riley Byrne - Handyman, storyteller, and reading teacher

Conner: Riley's older brother
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.