Romance Fiction posted February 4, 2018 Chapters:  ...61 62 -63- 64... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson admits he has his feelings for Shana.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Neunzehn part drei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Early the following morning, Anderson's cell phone woke him, but he had missed the call. I'll call him back. He slipped his arm from around Shana and shook it. It fell asleep. Benjamin, I doubt you're a violent man, but you'd kill me if you knew we stayed in the same room. Nothing happened, and I never laid beside her. I don't think you'd want me to let her scream in terror, would you?

Moments later, Shana opened her eyes. "Were you here all night?" After Anderson nodded, she covered her mouth. "Papa will not be happy."

"Nothing happened. I sat up all night. I have a stiff neck to prove it." He rolled his head back and forth.

"Papa won't care." Shana bit her lower lip. "What shall we tell him?"

"My suggestion is don't lie but don't offer any information he doesn't ask for." He stood. "I'd better start my day. Philip called, and I need to see what he wanted." He re-covered her. "Sleep as long as you need to." He turned to leave.

"Drew?" As he faced her, she said, "Thank you."

He nodded. First time she hasn't used Mr. Sharp or Anderson. Maybe I'm making headway. Naw, I doubt it.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 19 part 3

Shana walked into the living room as Anderson poured his third cup of coffee and he asked, "Ready for breakfast?"

"I can fix it. You fixed dinner. We should share the jobs."

"No way. You're my guest."

"I kept you up all night. I'm a very poor guest."

Anderson grinned. "I don't think so."

"What did Philip want?"

"Just wanted to know how things are going."

"Did you tell him about last night?"

He shook his head. "It's on a need to know basis, and he doesn't need to know."

"Thank you." Shana stared at the floor.

Walking over to her, he put his hand under her chin and lifted her head so their eyes met. "Please don't beat yourself up over this. Nothing happened and there's nothing to feel guilty about. I couldn't leave you alone. I'd do it again."

"I know." She attempted to smile.

After a period of silence, Anderson said, "Breakfast will be ready in about fifteen minutes. The limo will be here in about an hour." He turned and went to the kitchen. "Want some OJ?"

After they ate breakfast and cleaned up, they made the return trip to the hospital.

Immediately, Shana and Hannah went to see Sarah.

Anderson watched Paul pace and then asked, "You want some coffee?"

"Better not, I've already had five." Paul smiled. "Can't you tell?" He held out his shaky hand.

"I'm behind. I've only had four," Anderson teased.

"My limit is normally two."

Both men turned as the intensive care door opened. Hannah and Shana joined them.

"Have you two had a good conversation?" asked Hannah with raised eyebrows.

"We've discussed how we've both drank too much coffee this morning." Paul paused. "I waited for you to discuss the other matter."

"Paul, do you want to spend time with Sarah before we talk?" Anderson motioned toward the closed door.

Shaking his head, Paul said, "I spent most of the night with her. Let's talk." He turned. "It looks like our favorite talking table is free."

After everybody sat, Paul began, "Early this morning we spoke with all of Sarah's doctors and realized she'd have a better chance of a longer life at the hospital in Boston, but it's so far."

"I understand," said Anderson. "I've tried to make the distance bearable with offering unlimited use of my jet."

"We..." Hannah glanced at Shana and touched her hand. "Please..."

Shana nodded. "Hannah and I talked while in with Sarah. They would like to accept your deal, pending meeting Mary. They want to make sure Mary is an acceptable person."

Anderson removed his phone. "I'll make that happen." After speaking with Philip, he put the cell away. "Mary will arrive early this afternoon."

"How does he make a call and things magically happen?" Hannah's eyes widened.

"I don't know, but I've seen it happen over and over again." Shana smiled and then touched her cousin's hand. "Let's go visit that little lady again."

After the ladies left, Paul asked, "You're going out of your way to help us. Is there anything we can do for you?"

"I don't expect anything in return." Anderson's gaze drifted to the ICU door.

"You're interested in Shana, aren't you?"

Anderson grinned. "Philip, my best friend and assistant, accused me of the same thing. I denied it. But if you noticed, maybe I'd better fess up." He paused. "I guess you're right."

"I've known her since we were kids. She's a great girl."

"I've figured that out. What I haven't figured out is how to get around the Jewish -- Gentile issue." Anderson shook his head. "Any ideas? How did you do it?"

"I didn't. I stayed close and available until Hannah decided she loved me too much to let it stand between us." Paul chuckled. "You may have a longer wait. Shana's ten times more stubborn than Hannah, and she was brought up in an extremely devout Jewish home."

"I haven't seen the stubborn side of Shana. Are you saying it may be impossible?"

"I didn't say that. I haven't missed the way she looks at you. I doubt it's been unnoticed by Uncle Benjamin either."






*Please remember this is only part of a much longer chapter. I divide my chapters into three or four parts for ease of reviewing.*

Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria









Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of a fancy waiting room table. Maybe like the one our friends sit at and talk.

Question: I usually get hits on my writing for not including enough descriptions, now I've gotten one that stated I included too much detail. Please let me know your thoughts.

I want to thank you for the generous support you give me. I truly appreciate it. I do value every suggestion. Again, thank you for taking time to read and review.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.